Suggestion Needed - Nutrition and Exercise

Hi,

I am 5 ft 1 women, 28 y old. I am around 48-49 kg. Trying to workout at home everyday. I cant get rid of loose skin underneath my chin. I want to loose that fat and also at same time tone the core and my whole body. What direction I should proceed in terms of nutrition, exercise and supplements? Please advice!!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2020
    You can't spot reduce where you lose weight.

Enter your info into mfp and let that help calculate your calories. Log any exercise separate, and eat back those calories. Regarding supplements, ask your doctor for advice.

Adding since your bmi is already in the lower end you might try eating at maintenance, and working out.
  • samantha20283
    samantha20283 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2020
    thing is most women even though their weight is at high end of bmi, then dont have loose skin fat undeneath their chin, whats your recommendation? what supplements and exersize to tone, mantain body weight and loose fat though?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Genetics. You likely can't do anything about it other than plastic surgery. Honestly, your weight is already on the low end, and the area underneath the chin is not really known to contain lots of muscles you can train. Is it possible that you see things that are not there? We notice something that seems slightly off, focus a lot on it, and while doing so the supposed problem gets much bigger. Another option is that your posture is rather bad and your muscles pull your head into an awkward forward position, which makes the chin look more pronounced.
  • samantha20283
    edited April 2020
    what would you recommend to fix it? And what supplments do you recommend for fat loss, muscle toning while continuing exersize/doing some weights since at home?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You don't need to take supplements for fat loss and muscle toning. Focus on building your fitness through exercise while eating well and at maintenance (at least) to change your body composition and aesthetics. Make sure you are hitting your protein and fat goals. And be patient - once you are at a healthy weight, people work for years to improve the small details.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    Hi,

I am 5 ft 1 women, 28 y old. I am around 48-49 kg. Trying to workout at home everyday. I cant get rid of loose skin underneath my chin. I want to loose that fat and also at same time tone the core and my whole body. What direction I should proceed in terms of nutrition, exercise and supplements? Please advice!!

Have you lost substantial weight in the past, leading to the loose skin under your chin? If so, it may shrink over the next couple of years.

You help that along by encouraging your skin to be healthy, which involves the same strategies as for keeping other organs healthy, because skin is an organ: Regular cardiovascular exercise (for good circulation), strength exercise (full body, to develop muscle strength and health), excellent well-rounded nutrition, enough calories to fuel yourself in a healthy way, adequate hydration (not crazy much), stress management, moderation with alcohol, no smoking/vaping. Healthy skin is more likely to be elastic.

If you're concerned about fat, but are already at a light/healthy weight, recomposition (increasing muscle while maintaining weight) might be a good strategy for you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

That's often what people are thinking of when they say "toning". Being "toned" is just a matter of having some good muscle development, plus a low enough body fat that it shows a bit. Check out the thread: You'll see photos of women who have gone that route.

There are no creams, potions, special exercises, etc., that are magical. Beyond good nutrition and sensible well-rounded fitness, there are no special diets or workout routines, either.

If you've never been overweight, but have what you consider to be extra skin (distinct from fat) under your chin, it may be genetic. In that case, consulting a plastic surgeon might be the right strategy, if it truly bothers you.

Best wishes!
  • samantha20283
    i have seen many women get faster results taking supplements. if not supplments, what are some of the nutrition you take? eggs, healthy salad good enough?, what about diary products? sodium intake low? fruits yes or no? what else?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited April 2020
    i have seen many women get faster results taking supplements. if not supplments, what are some of the nutrition you take? eggs, healthy salad good enough?, what about diary products? sodium intake low? fruits yes or no? what else?

Where? Were they paid to say it worked? Were they selling it?

If it really worked why doesn't everyone take it?

You already got the correct answers. Sorry if they are not the answers you wanted but knowing the truth is better than being fed a lie (and wasting money), right?

Good luck.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    OP you really aren't listening.

No magic pills/suppliments/potions exist that will solve your problem. Chances are it's just posture. So I would work on correcting that first.

Look up forward head posture, and exercises to correct. Do them for 30 days. I recon you will see a difference, they are absolutely amazing at taking away the saggy look from the fact your head is sitting too far forward, accentuating that area.

Good luck.
  • AnnPT77

Where have you seen these women "getting faster results taking supplements"? If in real life, ask them for help. If on the internet, it's extremely likely that they're cynical posers trying to get you to spend money, either spend it with them, or with companies for whom they're paid influencers. Ignore that kind of nonsense.

Nutrition is a matter of the totality of what you eat. You need enough protein, enough healthy fats, enough fiber, plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits for micronutrients. Unless you have have diabetes or insulin resistance, any carb level that works for you (in terms of energy level and appetite) on top of that, and fits your calories, is fine (including sugar, BTW). If you're lactose intolerant, don't eat dairy. If you're not lactose intolerant, eat it if you like it. Fruits are good for you, unless you're allergic to them, or need to limit carbs because of the diabetes or insulin resistance. For the average person without high blood pressure, sodium level is not a big deal.

There's entirely too much gimmicky nonsense out there about diet from the bloggers and IG-ers and celebrity "trainers". Ignore them.

Among the more reasonable sources: National health authorities' diet guidance. (I'd suggest getting more protein than the USDA minimums, personally. But most of the advice is good. And all of it is better than the trendy, faddy internet influencers.)

Below is a post I wrote about how to remodel your eating in a positive direction, while striving to lose weight. It has details about macros and such. You can do the same thing, just at maintenance calories:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Overall nutrition from the totality of your eating is important. Individual foods choices or categories are unimportant, as long as you're not allergic to them, and they're not objectively poisonous. (Note: Sugar is not poisonous, even though eating huge heaps of it might be a bad plan, overall.) Eat nutrient-dense food you like, and learn to do so in a way that adds up to enough protein, enough healthy fats, and the rest of the stuff I listed above. That'll be fine.

Best wishes!
  • AnnPT77
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    OP you really aren't listening.

No magic pills/suppliments/potions exist that will solve your problem. Chances are it's just posture. So I would work on correcting that first.

Look up forward head posture, and exercises to correct. Do them for 30 days. I recon you will see a difference, they are absolutely amazing at taking away the saggy look from the fact your head is sitting too far forward, accentuating that area.

Good luck.

That's a good point: Very possible, and can be improved via exercise. :)