How does this strength training routine sound to you?

Options
I am at the point in my weight loss where I am trying to just tone up. I am eating at maintenance level, and I plan on doing this routine 5 days a week:

50 Sumo Squats
50 Chair Squats
50 Calf Raises
10 Push Ups (I plan on upping this when I am capable of doing more, my arm strength definitely leaves something to be desired.)
50 Sit Ups
50 Reverse Sit Ups
50 Bicycle Crunches
Side Plank for 30 seconds
Regular Plank for 30 seconds
Side Plank for 30 seconds
(x3)

Tell me what you think! Should I add more?

My problem area would be my stomach, and my bottom. I am 120 lbs and 5'7, so I am quite small but not quite fit enough!

Oh, and should I still incorporate cardio into my routine?

Replies

• Murphk323
    Options
    Personally, I would get bored doing that 5x a week.

I like working a different body part everyday.
    Ex:
    Monday: legs
    Tuesday: abs
    Wednesday: arms
    Thursday: butt
    Friday: cardio
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

Ex:

I didn't even think about that :O That is a really good idea!
  • ljscar12
    Options
    Your routine looks great. Try adding a twist to your plank by walking it out during the last 15 seconds of each set. Also make sure you definitely do the cardio.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a dvd called No more trouble zones, its a circuit training workout that definitely will get you in to shape. All you need is a mat and two dumbellls.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    It sounds like over training in a big way, and sounds like someone trying to spot tone legs and abs which doesn't work.

Better would be :

10-15 Free Squats
    12-15 Push-ups
    10-15 Lunges (Each Leg)
    12-15 Pull-ups (Or inverted rows)
    (Repeat 2-3x)

12-15 Butt Lifts
    Front Plank 10-15 secs
    Side Plank 10 -15 secs
    Repeat 3x

The do the entire circuit every 2-3 days for 2 or 3x a week and push to do a bit more each time. You didn't specify if you were using any resistance or not, but if you're using proper form an full range of motion for each (without cheating), you should be toast after each circuit.

Remember 90% of body shaping is How you eat, not what you do for your workouts.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it because I am not there yet, but there is a jillian michaels ripped in 30 that you might be interested in. If you do get bored of your routine.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    A- too much a week. strength isn't like cardio.
    B- three's no bi's or tri's or shoulders....
    C- do girl pushups.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    do you do warm-up and cooling down too?
  • kerri007
    Options

Ex:
  • kaur16
    Options
    I agree with Egger29, you cannot spot reduce. Your choice of exercise are good but will help strengthen your core muscles although your numbers are pretty high for day after day. You need to burn more calories to up your fitness and to reduce in hard to loose areas such as abdomen. All the suggestions below are good places to start. I started with 6 exercises arranged in group of 2 each performed for 2 sets and with 30 secs. at each exercise and 30 secs. rest. So, all the exercise below arrange in set of two and see how you do with them and as you get better at them reduce the rest from 30s to 15s
  • kerri007
    Options
    i would do that but with weights in hand
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bumping this, i need a strength training routine myself
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Keep doing that :-) I'm sure that in a month you will feel a lot better and will ask for more..............

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    I agree with Egger29, you cannot spot reduce. Your choice of exercise are good but will help strengthen your core muscles although your numbers are pretty high for day after day. You need to burn more calories to up your fitness and to reduce in hard to loose areas such as abdomen. All the suggestions below are good places to start. I started with 6 exercises arranged in group of 2 each performed for 2 sets and with 30 secs. at each exercise and 30 secs. rest. So, all the exercise below arrange in set of two and see how you do with them and as you get better at them reduce the rest from 30s to 15s

I never said I was spot reducing. My arms are much more fit than my legs and abs are, therefore it is only logical to work them more. I have VERY little arms, and I don't think that focusing on them as much as the rest of my body is a good idea.

Are my numbers too high? Eh, once again I've never done this before so i really don't know about what's too much/too little.

This is so confusing d:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Strength training is usually done in "sets". 3 sets of 8-15 reps, with a minute rest in between. It should take some real effort to get them done and not be too easy. You should need the rest period in order to be able to start again. Repeatedly doing things that are too easy can lead to muscle fatigue and / or joint damage (I think). Also, you need to take days off in between strength workouts for each body part. So you can do total body every other day, or arms one day and legs the next.

And yes, you want nice shapely shoulders and arms done you? (It's sexy!) So I'd include some more for the upper body, but push ups are a great start.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    No likey. If you CAN train five days a week, then it isn't much of a program.

I do not like body splits, but you being new to this.. how about;

Monday- chest, back, lower back, & Abs.
    1. Push ups, 3x10
    2. Dumbell rows, 2x10
    3.Back extensions, 2x10
    4. Bicycle brunches, 2x25

Wednesday- quad, hamstrings, & calves.
    1. Lunges, 2x12.
    2. Glute body raises, 2x20
    3. Glute kickbacks, 2x20
    4. Calf raises, 2x15

Friday- Shoulders, biceps, triceps, abs.
    1. Dumbell shoulder press, 2x10
    2. Dumbell side raise, 2x10
    3. Dumbell curls, 2x12
    4. Bench dips, 2x12

You should be able to do all of this at home with cheapy Walmart weights. When strength training, the rest/recovery periods are just as important as diet and routine.

Best wishes!