I’m so discouraged

Options
Hi, I started 2020 wanting to lose 10-15 pounds. Things started off really well and I was able to cut almost 10 pounds off by Mid March. However, I have been gaining weight over the past month and I haven’t changed anything. I’m eating healthy, exercising, drinking tons of water... but the numbers keep going up. I thought it was due to water weight and high sodium but I have been eating low sodium meals with still no success. I even gave up sweets and I’m still gaining weight. I do not know what to do.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Are you counting calories and using a food scale?
    Did your goals update after you lost the first 10 lbs?
  • jahmca8054
    jahmca8054 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I am counting calories and yes my goals updated. I eat about 1,300 a day before exercise
  • minimiss669
    minimiss669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This post officially freaks me out. Yikes! Maybe this poster has unrealistic expectations? Maybe it's just slower than it was in the beginning. I say keep going... what else can you do?
  • harper16
    Options
    This post officially freaks me out. Yikes! Maybe this poster has unrealistic expectations? Maybe it's just slower than it was in the beginning. I say keep going... what else can you do?

Why does this post freak you out?
  • minimiss669
    Options
    Because I'm afraid that nothing will actually work.
  • harper16
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Because I'm afraid that nothing will actually work.

Counting calories works, setting realistic goals works, realizing that weight loss isn't linear helps, and keep the focus.

The less you have to lose the lower the deficit. 10-15 lbs to lose healthy weight loss is .5 lbs a week. That's a smaller calorie margin.
  • minimiss669
    Options
    Welp, Imma keep trying. How about you jahmca?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jahmca8054 wrote: »
    Hi, I started 2020 wanting to lose 10-15 pounds. Things started off really well and I was able to cut almost 10 pounds off by Mid March. However, I have been gaining weight over the past month and I haven’t changed anything. I’m eating healthy, exercising, drinking tons of water... but the numbers keep going up. I thought it was due to water weight and high sodium but I have been eating low sodium meals with still no success. I even gave up sweets and I’m still gaining weight. I do not know what to do.

How much weight have you gained over the last month?

Water weight doesn't just come from high sodium. We are all going through a stressful time right now and that can manifest itself in all kinds of ways. It is perfectly normal for your weight to wander up for a few weeks and then wander back down, that's just real life.

I would suggest just not weighing yourself for a couple of weeks. Focus on taking good care of yourself. Then maybe double check that your logging your food and exercise correctly, be patient, and don't panic. You're weight will be fluctuating for the rest of your life :smile:
  • phoenixrising5721
    phoenixrising5721 Posts: 2,252 Member
    Options
    I agree with kimny. It will happen for you. She gave you good advice. Mini it does work. Just stay focused. I'm always looking for new friends If any of you want to add me feel free. Good luck
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    jahmca8054 wrote: »

How much weight have you gained over the last month?

Water weight doesn't just come from high sodium. We are all going through a stressful time right now and that can manifest itself in all kinds of ways. It is perfectly normal for your weight to wander up for a few weeks and then wander back down, that's just real life.

I would suggest just not weighing yourself for a couple of weeks. Focus on taking good care of yourself. Then maybe double check that your logging your food and exercise correctly, be patient, and don't panic. You're weight will be fluctuating for the rest of your life :smile:

What she said. Right on point. But I know sometimes people just need to hear it again. :)
  • Rosie3579
    Rosie3579 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Maybe generate some measurable fitness goals so that your weight isn’t your only measure of success. Getting stronger, faster, building endurance - seeing those wins makes it a lot easier to accept when the scale isn’t giving you the number you want to see. If you haven’t been there, take a look at the Non Scale Victory (NSV) thread.
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Sounds like to me need to up the movement y'all. Nothing to stress over. None of us are moving like we were a month ago. Up the calories burned each day!!! Don't freak out. Could be stress water salt and covid-19 lifestyle changes!! I have lost 100lbs 3 times!! Once before my oldest then after and then again after my youngest and now...I battle thyroid condition and I'm still making progress!! If you let it wreck your mindframe it will wreck your results!!! This is 90% mental!! Promise!! Eat when you are hungry stop when satisfied! All things in moderation!! Always be forgiving with yourself!! Make realistic lifestyle changes!! Dad diets don't last!! Believe you will achieve and you will!!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen. Stay consistent. Sleep well, drink water, eat light and exercise. I have 1 more pound to lose until my first goal. Then I have another 5-10lbs to lose for my final goal. I like to do measurements other than weight. In the time it took me to lose 6 pounds, I lost an inch from my thighs, 1/2 inch from my arms and a couple inches from my belly button line (where I had obviously gained fat). In short, those 6 pounds aren’t a lot but the inches seem like a much bigger deal to me.
  • IWTBF67
    IWTBF67 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has peaks and valleys. If you’re in a Valley and your food intake is ok then you might want to take an extra walk in the morning to rev up your metabolism. Just a thought. Good luck!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Am I reading this right? I don’t see where you answered the food scale question. It can make a big difference.

Keep working. Don’t let your brain wreck a good program over the time factor. Few human undertakings track on a straight line. Remember that thing about life having its ups and downs? I think the first person who said that was trying to lose weight.