Coconut oil - magic or myth?

Options
SRH7
SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
I've been doing a low carb diet for a month now and have started to look at what fats I am eating. I'm trying to stick to monosaturates such as olive oil but have heard that coconut oil is some kind of 'wonder drug', helping you to lose fat etc etc. I struggle to get the right amount of good fats in my diet and wonder if this might help.

An internet search brings out so much info that I don't know where to begin. The positive reports say you have to have 3tbsp a day for it to have any effect.

Bottom line is... have you tried it and do you think it works?

And, if so, how do you 'eat' it? Eating spoonfuls of fat every day doesn't sound very appetising!

Replies

• fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I wanna know too!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I use it- I've had no wonder weight loss but I like to cook with it. Has a great smoke point so its great in tons of applications. I have Lou Anne's pure coconut oil- it'll either be a solid or a liquid depending on the temperature in your house.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it be to be some kind of fat loss agent, but I believe it to be good fats.
    I use it as much as I can. I add it to oatmeal, cook in it (doesn't really make things taste like it), mix it with stuff to put on sandwiches, like pb or cottage cheese. Only thing is, it's hard to add to things that are cold. It gets hard very fast. But it can be used to replace butter too in baking or cooking.
  • SRH7
    Options
    Is it okay to cook with it? Again, I've been reading loads of different things online about it not being suitable for heating (turning into a transfat etc - not sure if this is a myth).
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I stir a Tbsp. in to hot tea daily when I'm trying NOT to lose weight, or would like to gain. Currently I'm getting almost 50% of my calories from fat though, the rest in carbs and protein. I also use it (or butter) for cooking.

Sorry, I've experienced no magic. :smile:
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's ok to cook with. It should say so on the bottle, even. It tolerates high heat. But that's about it. It's not a miracle cure or anything like that :)
  • Takotorau
    Options
    Bump
  • SRH7
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Guess if it was a 'miracle' then doctors would be prescribing it to us! Think I will stick with olive oil for now - at least it's easier to buy from the supermarket!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Guess if it was a 'miracle' then doctors would be prescribing it to us! Think I will stick with olive oil for now - at least it's easier to buy from the supermarket!

Olive oil is one you should avoid cooking with, from my research. It has a very low point of heat for going rancid (the whole trans fat thing). I will bake with it on low temps...but never fry with it anymore. I use lard, or butter to fry with.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is one you should avoid cooking with, from my research. It has a very low point of heat for going rancid (the whole trans fat thing). I will bake with it on low temps...but never fry with it anymore. I use lard, or butter to fry with.

Agree. Wouldn't cook with olive oil. I use sunflower oil to cook with.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cooking, but it's certainly been magical on my hair! :laugh:
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I have to disagree with you. Most trans fats in food are the result of an industrial hydrogenation process. Frying in oils such as sunflower or olive oil has an insignificant effect in producing trans fats.

The reason for not cooking with olive oil is that you lose the flavours if you heat it beyond about 375 degrees and it costs a fortune.

On the other hand, I think sunflower oil has more polyunsaturates than olive oil, so may be a better choice.

So, I was really just disagreeing about the trans-fats 'cos that doesn't happen.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It's fine to cook with lol..
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Not saying coconut oil is a miracle.. But I hate the phrase "If such and such worked, doctors would prescribe it."

You'd be surprised what knowledge is out there, and what doctor's don't "prescribe" -- Say, high doses of vitamin C to get rid of cancer.. High doses of niacin to nix depression..

[Edited to correct a typo]
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The research I have done on coconut oil - including Dr. Oz.- says that coconut oil is one of the best for you. It doesn't stick to your arteries like other oils do. Treat it like a healthy fat. I basically use it to sautee with. I will have to try using it on toast - I have heard it is very good.
    The other oil I use is Flax Seed oil. However, you can't cook with it so I use it in my potatoes and salad dressings.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a miracle food. Just foods that are healthier alternatives than others. I use coconut oil for cooking and make ghee which I mix with it to get the butter flavour I like without the milk solids in butter. If you read about coconut oil you'll find that it's saturated fat profile is actually healthy compared to other solid fats and liquid oils. It's solid at room temperature below 68F; it does not have to be stored in the refrigerator. Only buy extra virgin coconut oil from a reputable supplier.

It can also be used as a moisturizer.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    the magic part of it is based on some books claiming that coconut oil is a cure all from bad skin to cancer.

I had a neighbor who went full tilt with the idea....using the oil for all things and drinking coconut water exclusively.

I dont think he found a cure for aids or ne other deadly disease but despite is heavy oil usage he didnt gain ne weight either. He went thru jars of that stuff a week.

My take its a good oil for fats, along with olive oil. I still prefer olive oil.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Not saying coconut oil is a miracle.. But I hate the phrase "If such and such worked, doctors would prescribe it."

You'd be surprised what knowledge is out there, and what doctor's don't "prescribe" -- Say, high doses of vitamin C to get rid of cancer.. High doses of niacin to nix depression..

[Edited to correct a typo]

Research Chagga (sp) tea, in regards to cancer...and non-American apricot pits. There's some incredible evidence out there...which I've experienced with immediate friends...that suggests the American drug companies have specifically lobbied for some of these 'narural medicines' to be made illegal. The apricot pits for example. It is illegal to grow or sell apricot pits that haven't been genetically altered in the US.

Crazy stuff.

Anyway, back to topic!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cooking, but it's certainly been magical on my hair! :laugh:

Yes extra virgin coconut oil is the only oil that actually gets into the hair cuticle making the hair softer and less frizzy. I melt some in a pan on warm heat on top of stove when melted and cooled I place the melted oil in a bottel that I us to dye my hair with. Section you hair and apply oil on small sections of hair combing each section to get oil all the way thru. Place a shower cap on your hair and clean the house, leaving the shower for last. wash hair two times rinsing well and condition like normal. You will love how your hair feels and look!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've just started using it, and I've noticed a HUGE difference in just 2 days. I have had all the signs of hypothyroidism: low resting heart rate (mine was 45), low body temperature (mine was usually around 96 - sometimes 97 if I was lucky), difficulty losing weight while on a calorie restricted diet, dry skin and hair, etc.). And my mom has hypothyroidism, and it's known to be hereditary and common in women who have spent a lot of time dieting. I got checked out years ago and it was negative, but that doesn't mean I don't have a low grade version now. I've lost a decent amount of weight but have hit plateau after plateau and have been doing A LOT of dietary experimentation trying to pinpoint why this was happening. I came across coconut oil for thyroid function (as well as the millions of other benefits they talk about) and decided to try it.

I started with 1 tablespoon that I cooked my dinner in the other night(salmon and swiss chard). Prior to dinner I was exhausted because I hadn't gotten any sleep the night before due to an allergic reaction to something. Within 30 minutes after I finished my dinner I got this sudden burst of energy and I proceeded to clean my entire kitchen, top to bottom, decided I liked this stuff so I found ingredients in my cupboard to bake my own granola for the morning so I could have a burst of whatever this was before my morning run. I had already planned to have a bowl of ice cream as dessert, but I never got hungry enough to have it - and I had been looking forward to that all day. I didn't crave it at all - and usually at that time I would've been starving for it.

It was a little tough for me to get to sleep, but when I finally did I slept like a baby and woke up bright and early for my workout. Had a couple bite-fulls of my granola and went running - fastest run ever, muscles didn't get tired, no pain - none. I worked up to 2 tablespoons today, and I'm hoping to get to the recommended dose of 3 tablespoons a day (1 with every meal).

Also, this morning I took my resting heart rate - it was up to 58!!! - much more appropriate for my fitness level (45 is only good if you're an olympic athlete). My temperature was 98.4!!! I felt a healthy buzz throughout the entire day - it's like I've been working soooo hard with only 80% of my potential - now I feel like 100% and I've moved more today than I have every day of last week.

Anyway, in the 2 days I've used this, I've lost 2 pounds so far (could be a fluke, but I don't think so, given my boost in heart rate). I have so much more energy and life and color is returning to my face. I'm so excited I found this stuff, and I look forward to reaping the benefits.

I HIGHLY recommend it.