Starting over AGAIN

Options
Hello all...
I am starting over AGAIN for the third time. I am feeling pretty awful about it actually. Like I’ve failed so many times before, why do this AGAIN?! But really... MFP is the only thing that’s ever worked for me. I HAVE TO do it proper this time. MFP never failed me, I quit MFP. So silly! Ugh.
So here I am, starting again. I have 75lbs to lose.... I’m almost 51...It’s NOW or never!

Replies

• Boomshakalaka01
    Boomshakalaka01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good job with trying again! I am as well. I figure if I look at what I'm doing for the day for consumption, it makes things a little less daunting. :)
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I was very defeated. I have tried to shed this extra weight so many times I was certain that I just didn’t have it in me. I was doomed to be fat forever. Then I realized I could give up or I could try to figure out why my previous attempts didn’t work, stop being a victim and come up with a plan armed with the information learned from my previous attempts. I no longer am ashamed that I failed. I failed because I went too extreme on my diet. I failed because I set crazy restrictions that I couldn’t maintain. I failed because I expected massive results, fast. I failed because I justified my poor choices. I am not going to fail this time because I learned from my mistakes. I own that my choices got me here and my choices can get me out of it. My advice is don’t feel bad about it. Learn from it and go get it done this time. We can do this!!! Best of luck to you.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    I agree with mirtri, good to figure out why, was maintaining too hard? did you eat differently while losing than maintaining? were you too restrictive? don't think of it as starting over, but continuing on the journey & the fact that you're here makes you a winner
  • Blessingsbe533
    Blessingsbe533 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am trying to curb my appetite. I have the exercising as a daily endeavor down. Yoga and/or Essentrics and mobility and flexibility exercises. I’m older so not super strenuous. But, my weight is the result of poor food choices, so trying to be more mindful. Good luck to all of us, whatever stage we are in.
  • tegdirb74
    tegdirb74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, i am starting again too - I have 31kg to loose - trying to adjust for a healthy mindset.

I was brainwashed by fasting - i did the 5:2 for a while and it worked, but then i lost control, and I would binge, say to myself you can fast tomorrow don't worry about it, but then i couldn't fast (and this just kept going like groundhog day). I need to fix this mindset - it has been very damaging (almost 20kgs of damage).
  • cugogirl2017
    cugogirl2017 Posts: 8,764 Member
    Options
    Hi I too am back. I like the mindset of continuing the journey rather than feeling like I failed and am starting over. It is this kind of reframing that is helpful. Sometimes I get down on myself for the yo-yo weight, I have to put that mindset behind me. This sounds like a real supportive group. I have a lot to lose so am looking for any helpful advice and positive thinking.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi I too am back. I like the mindset of continuing the journey rather than feeling like I failed and am starting over. It is this kind of reframing that is helpful. Sometimes I get down on myself for the yo-yo weight, I have to put that mindset behind me. This sounds like a real supportive group. I have a lot to lose so am looking for any helpful advice and positive thinking.

@cugogirl2017 Love your point of view. There's no point in beating ourselves up over the past. Just start looking forward to the day you meet your goal. Let that be your guiding light.

@kelimcd808 MFP worked for me. Counting calories and having the best supporting Pals made the difference for me. Met my goal in 2012. Decided to lose another 5 pounds and did it. I'm still maintaining. When I see the scale creep up to 3 lbs over my goal weight, I get right on it instead of ignoring it like I did in the past.

I also clamped down on cravings by reminding myself I had my calories for the day and I might "feel" hungry but the reality was my body had the calories it needed and feelings aren't always right or true.

It's hard, but it's so worth it. Wishing you every success!
  • kelimcd808
    kelimcd808 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments!
    It is a journey... one that I will stay on. As a WINNER!
    (I feel better today❤️)
  • mlrtri
    Options
    tegdirb74 wrote: »

I was brainwashed by fasting ).

I understand that. I tried to do the Paleo diet. I truly love the idea behind it. But then when I tried it (multiple times) I couldn’t keep it up. I had to find recipes on Pinterest and meal planning became so hard. I enjoy cooking and never follow recipes so that was time consuming for me. So I fell off that wagon (multiple times). This time I am being less strict with myself. Limiting calories is hard enough so I am focusing on that, increasing my veggie intake and moving more. I feel like this is something I can do long term. I am already learning foods that help me feel full without a lot of calories. By not having the Paleo thing hanging over my head I feel I am learning more lifelong strategies.
  • mlrtri
    Options
    kelimcd808 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your comments!
    It is a journey... one that I will stay on. As a WINNER!
    (I feel better today❤️)

I am glad. I had to be very real and harsh with myself. It wasn’t fun. But I think because I did the tough love I am in a better place to make it to the finish line this time. I am not accepting my excuses. I am not going to pretend I don’t see how big I got. But I would rather accept that I am fat and that MY choices got me here and my choices can get me out than to go around pretending I’m not that bad or that it’s the clothes or whatever else I told myself before. I have lost 1 pound but I am very proud of that pound. Losing that pound over the last week brought me more joy than any item I would have eaten. And I keep remembering that.

Here’s to those of us that may have stumbled but we are here so we didn’t give up. 👊
  • cugogirl2017
    cugogirl2017 Posts: 8,764 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you for your comments. I do look forward to meeting future me (the one that has met my goal and feels healthy and strong.) I also like the idea of sticking to logging my food and making no excuses. And hey 1 pound in a week is great (@mirtri) it means you did so much right throughout the week to accomplish that! Also I like reminding myself when I get cravings that I have all the calories I need inside me already (@Annofb). This group is full of good advice that I can really say to myself to stay on track. Sometimes it helps me to complete the diary earlier in the day (like right after dinner) instead of later at night when it is quiet. Then I don't want to "tell my computer or phone that I have to add something else." I am grateful to have the support of this group! Thank you.
    Just reading the comments from all of you inspires me.