Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Whole grains are bad???

2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    No they're not bad for you, unless you have a medical condition like diabetes. Yes, whole grains are healthy.

Saying wrong things on YouTube is a way to get more people to watch your video, and then you get more ad revenue.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    If eating grains is wrong, I don't wanna be right...
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    I am a type 2 diabetic, so diagnosed in December, 2019 after nearly 30 years of high blood sugar levels (which now has a medical name - pre-diabetes) I've been doing a LOT of reading as well as testing. I test my BG (Blood Glucose) first thing in the morning and two hours after meals. I also test foods to see what they do to me. So, although I am not an expert, I can talk intelligently about the disease and how different foods affect my blood sugar levels.

One serving of oatmeal without sugar does not budge my BG (blood glucose) level. Drop in a tsp of brown sugar and it it spikes. No sugar (or sorbitol like in sugar free syrup) and no spikes.

Other whole grain products are pretty much the same. However, if I eat 3 servings of oatmeal, my BG does spike and takes nearly 24 hours to drop back towards a more normal reading. I can eat a serving of whole grain ellbow macaroni without any problems, but not two or three servings.

Too many carbs are bad for everyone, but all bodies need carbs which are turned into sugar which the primary food our cells "eat". Eating sensibly is one of the secrets of being/becoming healthy. So is eating balanced meals. MFP can help with that.

Humans were designed to eat both plants and animals. We need fiber, carbs, and protein in balanced amounts. We also need to move more than we sit.

Any fad diet is just that - a fad: "an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities". The video is just one more propaganda - a couple facts supported by a lot of hype and opinion.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2020
    So Dr. Ken Berry is a board certified family practice doctor from Camden, Tennessee. I believe his primary focus is obesity and diabetics. While some of his videos have some good information, the rest are pretty much, eat a Ketogenic or carnivore based diet because it worked for him and helped cleared up some of his issues (gout). He tends to focus on the anthropological/Paleolithic approach that you should eat based on your history. Those who should eat more carbs/fruits are those with ancestors closer to the equator.

Grains are fine, especially those less processed and having higher amounts of fiber.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Whole grains are fine...
  • thakurhimanshi815
    thakurhimanshi815 Posts: 10 Member
    Whole Grains Have Numerous Health Benefits
    Longevity
    Obesity
    Heart disease
    Colon cancer etc.
  • J72FIT
    Longevity
    Obesity
    Heart disease
    Colon cancer etc.

Nonsense...
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Glycemic Load is the overall thing that matters. If you pair your carbs with fats and proteins from a healthy source the overall load of the food does not cause huge sugar and insulin spikes. It boils down to a balanced meal. The problem is that fat in our diet was blamed for the obesity problem so there was a heavy shift to a carbohydrate based diet. When they saw that people got worse the Keto and low carb diets came along. Now people are becoming carbophobes and gorging on fats and proteins. Just eat a balanced meal people! Stop the fad diets! Stop being carbophobes!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    I don't think that grains are bad, but I do feel more energized when I eat less of them. I also feel like I just can't lose weight when eating higher carbs.

My doctor has said that I am sliiiightly insulin resistant. She prescribed a small dosage of metformin that she said was optional. So this may be the reason for my sleepiness and weight loss struggle with carbs.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2020
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Longevity
    Obesity
    Heart disease
    Colon cancer etc.

Nonsense...

Since whole grains have been under close scrutiny and review for the last 15 years or so, there is a big (and ever expanding) amount of research and evidence on their potential benefits in a number of different areas. Here is a quick google search for each point thakurhimanshi815 listed.

Association Between Dietary Whole Grain Intake and Risk of Mortality

Whole-grain consumption and risk of coronary heart disease: results from the Nurses' Health Study

The Relationship between Whole Grain Intake and Body Weight: Results of Meta-Analyses of Observational Studies and Randomized Controlled Trials

Whole Grain Consumption for the Prevention and Treatment of Breast Cancer

Whole grain consumption and risk of colorectal cancer: a population-based cohort of 60 000 women
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    breefoshee wrote: »
    I don't think that grains are bad, but I do feel more energized when I eat less of them. I also feel like I just can't lose weight when eating higher carbs.

My doctor has said that I am sliiiightly insulin resistant. She prescribed a small dosage of metformin that she said was optional. So this may be the reason for my sleepiness and weight loss struggle with carbs.

I was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes and the doctor put me on insulin immediately but never addressed my eating habits as the real issue. I've been off the insulin for a year and my blood sugar is back to normal. I still eat carbs but always paired with healthy fats and proteins and this avoids blood sugar spikes. I've also managed to lose 52 pounds in the process. Diabetes is not curable but can be easily managed through proper nutrition and physical activity.
  • J72FIT
    Longevity
    Obesity
    Heart disease
    Colon cancer etc.

Nonsense...

Haha, my bad. I don't know why I was reading it the way I was. I actually agree with everything stated.
    Apologies...
  • J72FIT
    Dante_80 wrote: »
    Longevity
    Obesity
    Heart disease
    Colon cancer etc.

Nonsense...

Since whole grains have been under close scrutiny and review for the last 15 years or so, there is a big (and ever expanding) amount of research and evidence on their potential benefits in a number of different areas. Here is a quick google search for each point thakurhimanshi815 listed.

Association Between Dietary Whole Grain Intake and Risk of Mortality

Whole-grain consumption and risk of coronary heart disease: results from the Nurses' Health Study

The Relationship between Whole Grain Intake and Body Weight: Results of Meta-Analyses of Observational Studies and Randomized Controlled Trials

Whole Grain Consumption for the Prevention and Treatment of Breast Cancer

Whole grain consumption and risk of colorectal cancer: a population-based cohort of 60 000 women

I re-read the post and realized I read it wrong the first time. Not sure why. I agree with the idea that whole grains are mostly beneficial, provided you do not have a medical reason to abstain...
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    sal10851 wrote: »
    breefoshee wrote: »

I was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes and the doctor put me on insulin immediately but never addressed my eating habits as the real issue. I've been off the insulin for a year and my blood sugar is back to normal. I still eat carbs but always paired with healthy fats and proteins and this avoids blood sugar spikes. I've also managed to lose 52 pounds in the process. Diabetes is not curable but can be easily managed through proper nutrition and physical activity.

That is awesome! My doctor gave me the option of metformin and I took it for a month just to see if it made a big difference and it really didn't. So I just quit taking it.

I have definitely noticed that pairing helps when I eat carbs.