Really sore calf muscles after a run

Options
I did some running the other day and I did a low impact hiit work out yesterday because I was so sore from my run. My calves are still sore and tight! I do a warm up and cool down but I'm just use to running. The other day I decided to try some running interval training and I'm regretting it at the moment. I can't walk properly:(

Any thing I can do get my calves back to normal? This sucks morning is the worst cause I have been laying down for hours. Getting up is brutal and my legs feel so tight

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Its because they're not used to being worked like that, yet. Mine get like that sometimes, if I push myself harder than what my body is accustomed to.
    Drink a lot of water, stretch, and try to massage them to get some of the lactic acid out. You may have even pulled them.
    Otherwise, as much as it sucks initially, walking really helps mine loosen up.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Its because they're not used to being worked like that, yet. Mine get like that sometimes, if I push myself harder than what my body is accustomed to.
    Drink a lot of water, stretch, and try to massage them to get some of the lactic acid out. You may have even pulled them.
    Otherwise, as much as it sucks initially, walking really helps mine loosen up.

Thanks, yes it definitely feels better as I keep moving through out the day. I might skip my work out today and tomorrow or do something light but enough to get my heart rate up. I need my muscles better for this weekends weigh in. It would suck if I have a ton of water weight because of all the soreness.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've just started a new workout regime and I'm 2lbs up because of it I'm so sore I actually feel queasy so I'm right there with you on soreness mine is my quads and glutes my routine gas lots of lunges and squats massage/foam rolling and hot Epsom salt bath help ibuprofen if really needed but only as a last resort
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    My calves are always tight after a run. I have to make sure I stretch all my leg muscles after a run, especially my calves. I've started doing some yoga on the off days and that has been great. I've never been more limber than I am at this point in my life after only a handful of weeks. Downward Dog will stretch my calves like no other.

I've also used a foam roller for some really harsh muscle soreness in the past and that can be amazing. It hurts as you are rolling them out but I got instant relief afterwards.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    A foam roller or massage can help. So can a hot bath with epsom salts. Do you warm up before you run? i.e. walk for 5 minutes before and after, then do some calf, hamstring and quad stretches. Run slowly. Don't try to sprint, just jog slow and easy. Pushing the pace is more likely to tighten up the muscles. How many miles are on your shoes? Old shoes can cause a lot of aches and pains.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    A foam roller or massage can help. So can a hot bath with epsom salts. Do you warm up before you run? i.e. walk for 5 minutes before and after, then do some calf, hamstring and quad stretches. Run slowly. Don't try to sprint, just jog slow and easy. Pushing the pace is more likely to tighten up the muscles. How many miles are on your shoes? Old shoes can cause a lot of aches and pains.

Thanks , I did like couple minutes of stretching probably should of done a longer stretch and I did 50 seconds of running and 10 second rest. So like interval training to work my way up to running longer. It has been years since I tried to get into running, so my shoes are new to it. First time I tried was on a summer's day years ago and I went all out, definitely stupid thing I did back then since I wasn't use to it. i also choose to run on the hottest day lol i'm now much older and bit more informed on how to do it so hopefully I can get into running.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    I've just started a new workout regime and I'm 2lbs up because of it I'm so sore I actually feel queasy so I'm right there with you on soreness mine is my quads and glutes my routine gas lots of lunges and squats massage/foam rolling and hot Epsom salt bath help ibuprofen if really needed but only as a last resort

Yes its brutal I hope the soreness eases. I just did a 30 min aerobic work out to just get my heart rate up. Nothing crazy so I hope that doesn't contribute to the soreness and make me gain. I would just feel better once I get out of my plateau.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

Yes its brutal I hope the soreness eases. I just did a 30 min aerobic work out to just get my heart rate up. Nothing crazy so I hope that doesn't contribute to the soreness and make me gain. I would just feel better once I get out of my plateau.

My regime has a calender to follow so I have the same routine Monday to Friday then 2 days off so I'm working out on top of soreness 😩 then Monday I start week 2 so not slot of time to get used to the exercise before starting new ones on week 2 so I'm expecting to hold water weight for awhile but I have to trust ad long as I'm with my allowance its not fat gain