Calorie counting question

Options
baz19889
baz19889 Posts: 4 Member
Hi Everyone

New to calorie counting this is day 4 and finding it surprisingly ok so far I have 1460 calorie allowance a day in hope to lose 1kg a week. I have found that I am eating less than the recommended just between 100/150 calories a day will this effect my weightloss? Or can you kinda save the calories up that u haven’t consumed during the week to have a blow out at the weekend?
Also I’m finding My evening meals are coming in at 7/800 calories, would this have an effect? I prefer to eat a big portion at night as I go to bed feeling satisfied and stops me snacking, any way do my calories need to be spread out more during the day? Will I still see a weightloss?

Thanks
Sarah

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    1) eating less periodically is ok - but i wouldn't make it a habit - yes, it could cause you to lose weight quicker; but it could also increase risk of health issues.

2) yes you can bank calories for a weekend blow out - quite a few ppl do that

3) big meals at night not an issue - i frequently hae dinner + pre-bed snack that is in the 12-1500 calorie range with no issues
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You can save/bank calories for later use. I do it weekly. I like to have one bigger day a week and that has been my system for over 2 years (I had a lot to lose).

Using banked calories will not affect weight loss but you may sometimes get a temporary bump on the scale. It won't be fat weight, it will be water retention and maybe some additional food waste in your system. The scale will start going back down right away but don't be shocked.

For the first couple of times you try this stick with 100-150 per day to see how your energy levels feel. I would also suggest "cashing" out once a week although you can go longer but I recommend keeping it simple initially.

Also, if you are not using a food scale you may be eating more than you think so be careful. Even though MFP has a long list of foods measured in cups it is not a reliable measurement because cups are a liquid measurement not solid food. Additionally make sure you check the database entries you use against a label or the USDA site even if you use the barcode scanner. Many entries are wrong or outdated. This includes green checked items as well.
  • baz19889
    Options
    Thanks for you reply 🤗 I’m pleased to hear I can use the other calories I’ve not used over the week on a weekend which will be going on gins and slim line tonics.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Since you just started, how confident with your logging accuracy. It’s very easy to under or over estimate by 100-200. I’d say Just eat like you are doing now for another 2 weeks and see how your body react, if you are losing really fast then up you daily intake.
  • baz19889
    Options
    I have been weighing everything out time consuming but very interesting! I have been doing slimming world on and off for 15 years lost 4 stone put it back on slowly and no wonder my calorie Intake must have been huge eating as much pasta and meat with out the fat! I’m hoping this is the start of my new journey to be healthy with food
  • baz19889
    Options
    Since you just started, how confident with your logging accuracy. It’s very easy to under or over estimate by 100-200. I’d say Just eat like you are doing now for another 2 weeks and see how your body react, if you are losing really fast then up you daily intake.

That’s a good point, I will keep to what I’m doing for the next two weeks :) then will review, thanks
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    baz19889 wrote: »
    I have been weighing everything out time consuming but very interesting! I have been doing slimming world on and off for 15 years lost 4 stone put it back on slowly and no wonder my calorie Intake must have been huge eating as much pasta and meat with out the fat! I’m hoping this is the start of my new journey to be healthy with food

Just don't go too far down the "healthy" rabbit hole and leave yourself feeling deprived and with cravings that keep demanding satisfaction. Anything that I can moderate that helps me mentally keep losing weight is, to me, also healthy. After all, losing weight is healthy all by itself.