Best way to cut weight

Options
Been going doing with my workout and losing bout 47lbs but seems like I have plateaued I’m trying to have the lean muscle look an would like to lose another 30-40lbs any advice???

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You are going great! Keep going.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You've been going great. Consider how long your plateau has been. A week, a month, 3 months? I lost over 80 lbs through a combo of dietary moderation and increased workouts (mainly cycling and summer ocean swimming). I hit a plateau in Autumn, been bouncing around about 10 lbs since. I've had several illnesses and other issues since then - then of course, covid lockdown the last month and a half. I'm male, 65yo and losing is a struggle. In the cycling world, there's a saying, "you can't outride your fork," meaning, the workout alone won't get you to the promised land. You need to moderate your intake as well. Lockdown has forced me to do just that moreso than before, and I've dropped beyond my former plateau, and now am doing indoor workouts to keep up the progress (frankly, I was bummed with the whole situation to begin with, but am now ramping back up again). A short plateau is fairly common, you can tweak or push your way past such as your body adjusts. Sometimes it takes a major effort to break through the plateau. MFP helps in this regard, and a good scale keeps you on track. When we're out of lockdown, getting your metabolism running on high again through outdoor exercises will help (I'm probably not going back to my gym until autumn sets in ... tbd). Good luck! 43 lbs is great - not everyone can hit an interim milestone like that.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Very good answer above.
    I think variations in your workout can help. You will find muscles you haven't used !
    I mean a completely different activity.
    I have just started out with kettlebells - I think they are very good.
    Exercise makes you fit - some weight loss is a bonus.
  • missyelainious
    missyelainious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Option 1: Ride out the plateau. If you’re doing everything ‘right’ then it will pass.
    Option 2: (that worked for me) Try intermittent fasting. Stop eating at 8PM and don’t eat until Noon the next day (or eat for any 8 consecutive hours). This totally jumpstarted my weight loss again when I was in a plateau and I’ve been doing it ever since!
    You’ve got this!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Option 1: Ride out the plateau. If you’re doing everything ‘right’ then it will pass.
    Option 2: (that worked for me) Try intermittent fasting. Stop eating at 8PM and don’t eat until Noon the next day (or eat for any 8 consecutive hours). This totally jumpstarted my weight loss again when I was in a plateau and I’ve been doing it ever since!
    You’ve got this!!!

Being in at-home lockdown, we're not exactly on food rations, but we're watching our consumption and supplies situations (we consider every resupply a chance of incoming infection). I hadn't really thought much of "intermittent fasting" before this (was neutral on it and hadn't bothered to try it). However, by cutting out extraneous eating/etc., we are in effect, "intermittent fasting." And, lo and behold, I'm also pushing below a stubborn plateau I had been on. "Inquiring minds want to know": coincidence? Anyway, the concept is getting some cred in this house now, LOL.
  • Poloinc12003
    Poloinc12003 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice
  • Poloinc12003
    Poloinc12003 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me also