Collagen? Positive & Negatives?

Options
I’m trying to boast my skin elasticity while i’m loosing weight! I just bought Vital Proteins Collagen and i’m wondering if anyone has used it on here. Does it help with skin hair nails? Did it make you gain weight? Lose weight? Positives and negatives? Thank you!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I tend to think of it like a feather tipping a scale. If your elasticity is already pretty good it may help. If it is bad it won't make much of an impact.

Total calories eaten vs total calories expended dictate weight lost, gained, or maintained. Unless you are consuming enough of this to help with satiety the only difference should be that you have slightly less calories in your daily budget.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It makes my eyelashes very long. I like it.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    husband was taking a multi collagen type one for over a year for his joints...did nothing for his nails, they still look same & often crack/etc as before.. as for hair & skin, didn’t have issue so don’t know. did help somewhat with his knee issue.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I take a collagen daily- I did it for my bone and joint health- it does help me a lot- i do not take the one you discussed but they are all different- did not use for weight loss-but it helps with my nails and it helped with my hair(tried vegan- and for some reason my hair began to fall out) but I stoppped vegan and tried collagen and now my hair is back thick and full again. most benefit is to my joint health-
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My wife started collagen about 6 months ago for diet-related saggy skin (which we both have plenty of, now that we're about to turn the corner into Year 2 of our diets). She wasn't expecting miracles but just wanted to see if something could help a bit. She says it has worked well and now swears by it and takes it everyday, and not just for skin but also achy joints, which she says it has helped a lot. She is a skeptical person who is not given to jumping on board different fads and declaring them the New Thing, so this is quite unusual for her. However, I tried it for a few weeks and didn't notice any difference, but I usually don't notice any difference with supplements. So I can't personally say it does anything at all, but from what I've read it's harmless and there's no reason not to give it a shot if one feels like doing so.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    MrsSylvie wrote: »
    husband was taking a multi collagen type one for over a year for his joints...did nothing for his nails, they still look same & often crack/etc as before.. as for hair & skin, didn’t have issue so don’t know. did help somewhat with his knee issue.

Same here. I've been taking the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides for a year now. I put it in my coffee, my husband takes it as well. I don't notice a difference in my nails, skin and hair. It really helps with my joints. And my husband noticed a bigger difference in his joints.

It does nothing for losing weight or gaining weight. Calorie deficit or surplus does that.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I picked up a supplement in pill form. My therapist recommended it. I forget what for, he's always mentioning what he's taking though. He takes the powder, I can't stand the taste.

I'll see, I have some saggy skin that is slowly, very slowly getting better - all pregnancy-related, not all over my body. I'm STILL breastfeeding, I'm hoping when I finally wean my youngest this summer the hormone switch will flip and my skin will shrink right up. Positive thoughts. Wishful thinking. One can hope :smiley:
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i put one scoop in my coffee. its amazing for my hair.
  • Graciecandance
    Graciecandance Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    I take a collagen daily- I did it for my bone and joint health- it does help me a lot- i do not take the one you discussed but they are all different- did not use for weight loss-but it helps with my nails and it helped with my hair(tried vegan- and for some reason my hair began to fall out) but I stoppped vegan and tried collagen and now my hair is back thick and full again. most benefit is to my joint health-

What collagen do you use?:)
  • Graciecandance
    Options
    i put one scoop in my coffee. its amazing for my hair.

That’s awesome! Which collagen supplement do you use?:)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    the collagen I use I got from TJ maxx- back in the day-- it's running out so NOW I have purchased fromamazon the Ancient Nutrition (multi collagen protein) from Dr. Josh axe- It ran about 24.99 for 20 (1 scoop) servings
  • Graciecandance
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    My wife started collagen about 6 months ago for diet-related saggy skin (which we both have plenty of, now that we're about to turn the corner into Year 2 of our diets). She wasn't expecting miracles but just wanted to see if something could help a bit. She says it has worked well and now swears by it and takes it everyday, and not just for skin but also achy joints, which she says it has helped a lot. She is a skeptical person who is not given to jumping on board different fads and declaring them the New Thing, so this is quite unusual for her. However, I tried it for a few weeks and didn't notice any difference, but I usually don't notice any difference with supplements. So I can't personally say it does anything at all, but from what I've read it's harmless and there's no reason not to give it a shot if one feels like doing so.

Thank you!! which brand of collagen does your wife use?:)
  • RunsOnCoffee_
    RunsOnCoffee_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Vital Proteins unflavored in my coffee most mornings. I like how I can’t even taste it and it dissolves completely. I take it mostly to strengthen my joints. I do see some positive changes with nails/hair and it also helped cleared up my adult acne. So, I’ll continue using it.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I just started using Collagen peptides two days ago for the first time. Weirdly I developed headache both days (I chalked the first days up to weather changes but it's really weird for me to get headache so on day two I got to wondering). I did a quick search and Sorrento collagen protrudes can cause headaches and sleep disturbance. Has anyone experienced this? I'm not sure if these last two days are just coincidence or not