Isn't 1200 calories too much for a 5ft tall woman?

Options
123457»

Replies

• tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm 4' 11". A legit 1200 - 1500 cal diet for me is maintainance NOT loosing. I'm 34 years old and know my body and know what's going into my mouth. You're not Crazy lol. I have to create a deficit in my workout if I'm going to eat 1200+ AND want to lose. I also notice that I have to watch carbs big time. I eat basically paleo/primal so no processed foods. Loads of veg some fruit lean proteins and good fats.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 110lb and I eat around 600 cal a day... I can't eat any more without feeling physically sick :(
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 110lb and I eat around 600 cal a day... I can't eat any more without feeling physically sick :(

This isn't something to advertise. This is disordered eating. Please seek help.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I know... I'm wondering what you guys suggest... I have been seeking help and slowly beginning to eat more and more. I'm not trying to advertise it I'm just wondering what I should be doing to slowly increase my calorie intake without gaining weight
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I know... I'm wondering what you guys suggest... I have been seeking help and slowly beginning to eat more and more. I'm not trying to advertise it I'm just wondering what I should be doing to slowly increase my calorie intake without gaining weight

I don't think we on MFP are qualified to give you that sort of guidance. You need to speak with your doctor and probably a registered dietitian, as well.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    First, you should log your food and exercise for a couple weeks to really see what your stats really look like. I cannot stress this enough because doing your totals in your head will not give you a good view over time. You will be surprised - I know I was.

Second, power walking for 40 minutes will only burn 200 - 300 calories (and I would err on the 200 side for estimating). Keep in mind, you need to burn 3500 calories for every pound. So every 12 - 18 days that you work out, you should lose 1 pound. BUT! Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you're building muscles, you will not necessarily see weight loss but you will still see your body change shape. Also, do you have a problem area that you want to work on? Try changing up your work out. I'd suggest incorporating some strength training - it's good for your bones. You could do this standing abs workout: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8zI5EoiYi1c&list=PLq0gdk7LzB5qnF7xKLihfoedcvJBZ0hkB&index=3

Third, are you eating enough veggies, fruits, dairy and whole grains? Per day, you should have a minimum of 3 cups of veggies, 2 cups of fruit, 6 ounces of grains (at least half should be from whole grains), 3 cups of dairy, 5.5 ounces of protein. How much sugar are you eating? How much saturated fat from animals or animal products (dairy, meat, poultry, etc)? Try to eat more complex carbohydrates such as vegetables, legumes and whole grains and limit the amount of simple sugars such as table sugar, fruit juice, honey, molasses, maple syrup and brown sugar. I saw that yogurt is also listed as a simple sugar but I'm not sure about the validity of that.

Fourth, what are your portions and meals like? Do you eat breakfast? Do you eat 2 meals a day? Four meals? It is better to have more meals per day with fewer calories than fewer meals with higher calories. Your body will break down the food and store some of it as glycogen but anything in excess will be stored as fat. Complex carbs will take longer to digest and keep you full longer.
  • cookiepaws
    cookiepaws Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm 4'11" my healthy range is 91-99lbs with a tiny frame. I'm trying to lose 20lbs of baby weight and at 1200 calories a day I am only losing .5lbs every 2 weeks which includes exercise. My BMR is 1118 with the extra weight and only 1022 when at my regular weight. At my ideal weight I am not thin but I am slim with curves and I'm soft even in the 90's which I'm good with I'm not looking to be thin or ripped. So, I get so annoyed when everything says not to go below 1200. When I was in my 20's and toning I would eat 950-1150 calories with workouts then relax to maintain. Even at my lowest 92lbs I still had the tiniest belly pouch which I thought was cute. So 92 lbs on me was not underweight. Frame size and body composition have a large role to play when you are petite. If I eat 1200 and don't exercise I can't maintain for long as I will gain weight over time.
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can't loose weight on 1200 I'm 4 11 and half. Weight between 102lbs to 104lbs. I'm slim at this weight but certainly not thin. Could probably loose another few pounds to be healthier. So don't know why 1200 seems to be cut of off healthy calories for women. We are all different.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dailly13 wrote: »
    I can't loose weight on 1200 I'm 4 11 and half. Weight between 102lbs to 104lbs. I'm slim at this weight but certainly not thin. Could probably loose another few pounds to be healthier. So don't know why 1200 seems to be cut of off healthy calories for women. We are all different.

zombie thread!

but that being said - even a sedentary female (i used 30yrs, sedentary, 104lbs and 4'11" had a daily energy expenditure of over 1200 cal - 1320 based on this calculator - https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=30&lbs=104&in=59&act=1.2&f=1; up it to light exercise and you get 1500cal TDEE a day - so yes, 1200cal is a good baseline and if you are struggling to lose weight, you might look at accuracy in logging and/or rate of loss (too agressive)
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Dailly13 wrote: »

zombie thread!

but that being said - even a sedentary female (i used 30yrs, sedentary, 104lbs and 4'11" had a daily energy expenditure of over 1200 cal - 1320 based on this calculator - https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=30&lbs=104&in=59&act=1.2&f=1; up it to light exercise and you get 1500cal TDEE a day - so yes, 1200cal is a good baseline and if you are struggling to lose weight, you might look at accuracy in logging and/or rate of loss (too agressive)

Ok then.