Sodium

Options
I have been over on my sodium very regularly. I noticed today the kicker was 1 tsp kirkland sea salt. It put in over 2300 sodium points. Is there an alternative to salt? we use a touch of salt on almost everything we cook, especially when the hubby is cooking!! Any ideas to reduce sodium intake?

Replies

• BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know....sodium is lurking in everything! Maybe try Mrs. Dash in place of some of the salt you use.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I use sea salt a lot. :smile:
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I stopped using salt in everything except baking and now I notice when something has salt....it worked for us.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The three best ways to keep your sodium down are:
    (1) Don't cook with it unless necessary. Many recipes that include salt really don't need it since they have other components that contain salt.
    (2) Go for low sodium ingredients. I've become a big fan of Swiss cheese (one of -- if not the lowest -- sodium cheeses), raw nuts, unsalted butter, reduced sodium beans, and reduced sodium chicken broth. These items are out there if you look for them!
    (3) Avoid heavily processed foods and dining out as much as possible. This can be a challenge, but these will typically be your highest sodium foods.

Feel free to browse my diary. It is public and I keep my sodium intake to an average of 1700 mg a day and am under 1500 mg more than half the time...I also consume an average of 2200 calories a day, so I'm not keeping sodium low by eating very little; I'm keeping it down through choices. I have a lot of low sodium recipes in my diary that I eat regularly; if you find anything you like, feel free to send a friend request or message; I'm happy to share recipes. Cheers!
  • babs23
    Options
    There are a lot of other spices you can use to spice up your food, experiment.

Jillian Michael's did a podcast dedicated to salt and it was pretty eye opening. I definitely recommend taking 20+ minutes and listen. She recommends keeping your sodium intake around 1500 mgs a day. Otherwise, you're going to retain water (which sucks) and make your heart work harder (which is dangerous).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jillian-michaels-show/id418368811

It's podcast #15 on the list. Let me know what you think!
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    1st, I use kosher or sea salt.
    2nd, I found I don't need to use that much salt when I use Ms Dash or old bay (garlic & herb) and lemons to season my meats.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    i struggle with this too. I love steak sauce, tabasco, vinagrettes, pickles, sea salt, etc... etc... yummy yummy salt!
    I've been using Mrs. Dash and/or Lemon Juice to add flavor.
    And I try to avoid lunch meat and turkey hot dogs now - those were killing me.

Also to counteract too much sodium, drink lots of water (10 cups+) and eat a banana. It really helps.
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash has some wonderful tasting alternatives. Also if you must sprinkle salt on your food while cooking then there is also a no salt salt. It is located next to the regular salt. It is very very pricy though.