Finding motivation when in a relationship?

Options
JTurnerUK
JTurnerUK Posts: 4 Member
A few years ago I chose to lose weight and get in shape for the sole purpose of women. 2 years later I am happy and settled with my gf and she basically loves me whether I'm in shape or not therefore I find it hard to find the motivation as I have no pressure on me or nobody to impress.

Any advice? I mean I want to lose weight but I don't have that drive that I used to have when single.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Your health is a big consideration. Yes?
  • minimiss669
    minimiss669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think you'll feel pretty badly if you gain back all of what you tried so hard to lose. Aren't you more confident? Impress your girlfriend, don't give up.
  • tekctrlr
    tekctrlr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    JTurnerUK wrote: »
    A few years ago I chose to lose weight and get in shape for the sole purpose of women. 2 years later I am happy and settled with my gf and she basically loves me whether I'm in shape or not therefore I find it hard to find the motivation as I have no pressure on me or nobody to impress.

Any advice? I mean I want to lose weight but I don't have that drive that I used to have when single.

From what I see you are happy with the woman in your life. Do you want to spend as much time with her as you can? I will assume that the answer is yes. Then getting or staying in shape is very important, for both of you. It is something you can do together. So there is motivation and accountability all in one package.

Have a great life!

TEK
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,693 Member
    Options
    JTurnerUK wrote: »

A self maintaining girlfriend requiring minimal care and attention!
    N I C E!
    Coast city!

If feeling better about yourself is not good enough for at least some effort... not sure what anyone else can offer.

<there is Olympic athlete. there is beer guzzling slob. there is something in between.>
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Want to live happily and healthfully with her for a long time? Maybe, someday in the future, have a family together? Be able to have active fun play with those kids, see them graduate, marry, whatever? Meet the grandkids?

Consider the long view.

I got some hugs for this, so I'm possibly naive and romatic.

So, contemplate the alternative: This relationship doesn't work out, which would be sad.

In which case, you're going to be on the prowl again, wanting to be cute. Easier to maintain, rather than having to re-attain.

/cynic

The real reason is still your future self.

Trust me on this, I'm age 64: You can reach 60, be fat, sick, on lots of meds, unable to eat/drink what you want because of medication interactions and health conditions, unable to do what you want because of unfitness, in pain more of the time, on a fast track to assisted living and death - I see this exact thing in my inactive/obese friends my own age, and used to see it to a lesser extent in myself - or you can reach 60 pretty chipper, active, enjoying life - which I see in my healthy-weight, active same-age friends. Choices, when young, have consequences. I was an idiot, and didn't realize this in time.
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    MaintainInTheMembrane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Do it for you, your health and your own self worth. Good luck!
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Better endurance for extracurricular activities too!