Rate My Bulk Program

allother94
allother94 Posts: 588 Member
Currently 43 yo, 195lbs at 6’3 with 15% bf. Lifting for 1.5 years, but this is my first bulk. 240 bench, 325 deadlift, unknown squat.

300 cal surplus leanish bulk. 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat. Mostly egg white, bread, rice, protein power, chicken, fish oil, tuna, multi-v

A/B workout 4 days a week, dumbbell only Because of corona. The “/“ means alternating between these two exercises on different days.

Workout A - DB squats with light weight, dB single rows, dB straight leg deadlift, DB bicep/hammer curl, db reverse flys for posture, planks

Workout B - dB flat/incline bench, dB chest flies Flat/incline, dB overhead press, dB lateral/front raises, DB shrugs, dB skull crushers

3 sets. between 6-8 reps as heavy as I can go with correct form. If I can do 8 reps, I up the weight. If I can’t do 6, I lower it.

Some mild bike rides on random days.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    The diet sounds terribly bland and probably going to lack in nutrients. I would incorporate more veggies, fruit and probably some dairy if you can tolerate it. Also beef has a ton of nutrients. For exercise, pick on of the below. Your is unbalanced from a quick glance.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Just a curiosity, why are you deciding to bulk now without access to a gym? And with your stats, because your bodyfat is on the higher side you are more likely to gain more fat vs if you started leaner. Also because you do have lifting experience going to a dumbbell only program is fine for maintenance but for building it could be challenging and less optimal. Not saying it can't be done but to get that stimuli to tell your muscles to build will be difficult.
  • allother94
    Can’t wait 3 months to feel ok about going to the gym... worse case is I gain a few extra lbs and need to cut more. Just looking for the experience.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    As long as you can see strength increase through progressive overload and achieve mechanical stress, you can gain muscle. It may not be optimal but it can work. But i would recommend a more structured routine. If you want, run the M&S 5 day program.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    This probably isn’t what you want to hear but. I wouldn’t bulk in your position. I would have a small deficit or maintain and run the dumbbell programme suggested above.

With only 1.5 years of lifting experience it’s probably not a great idea to make up your own programme.
  • allother94
    edited May 2020
    This probably isn’t what you want to hear but. I wouldn’t bulk in your position. I would have a small deficit or maintain and run the dumbbell programme suggested above.

With only 1.5 years of lifting experience it’s probably not a great idea to make up your own programme.

In what way is the program I outline above lesser in quality to the programs someone else made up?
    allother94 wrote: »

In what way is the program I outline above lesser in quality to the programs someone else made up?

I’m not qualified to comment on programming so I won’t. I always follow programmes from people who are qualified. I only have 3 years lifting experience myself.
    To add: if you want to learn about programming and nutrition I would recommend the muscle and strength training and nutrition books by helms et al. They will give you far more decent info than I could.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

No way of telling with the lack of any data, training history of volume and frequency as well as how you respond to certain styles of training.

While I encourage you to seek ways of learning how to program for yourself, your post simply lacks the specific info of you as a individual.

Generally speaking, t does appear that volume is extremely low and average intensity much higher than needed. I would hazard that legs are not getting any where the needed stimulus as well.

Once again, without data on you...its just a hunch which is about as you running a random program.
  • allother94

I’m not qualified to comment on programming so I won’t. I always follow programmes from people who are qualified. I only have 3 years lifting experience myself.
    To add: if you want to learn about programming and nutrition I would recommend the muscle and strength training and nutrition books by helms et al. They will give you far more decent info than I could.

Thanks! FWIW, I built this program after reading the following books because I wanted to incorporate my specific needs and goals into a program after seeing limited results from one-size-fits-all programs and using trainers.

Jim Stoppani's Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength
    Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body by Micheal Mathews
    Strength Training Anatomy by Frédéric Delavier
    Men's Health Natural Bodybuilding Bible by Tyler English
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you are happy with the program you designed and you feel it has the right amount of volume and intensity for you, and you will actually be consistent with it, go for it. It is lacking on lower volume for my personal taste but some of the programs I do lack upper (and I am aware of that and know the consequences/results that come of that).