Best Practices using MFP

Options
Hey all!

For now, I've just been using my iPhone's Health app for a step count.

If I go for a run or do any other work-out, which I did today, do I add that work-out separately?

In about a week I have a fitbit that will arrive - maybe that will calculate work-outs automatically? I just want to make sure I give myself an accurate reading. Thoughts on best practices?

Replies

• facet1011
    facet1011 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can either add it manually or use an app like map my run and connect it to MFP and it will add it for you automatically.

Warning apps aren't using that accurate for calories and usually overestimate so you probably haven't burnt as much as it's telling you
  • thb309
    thb309 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello Adam. To answer your question, yes you can add it separately. Before my shoulder injury I would do cardio and weight training. I would never add the weight training due to the intensive input that would be necessary for my routine. So I would only add the cardio and the weight training would be my bonus calories burnt. I track my daily intake in relation to my cardio calories burnt.
    As for a best practice, don’t weigh in weekly. I go about every three weeks or so. Trust me it will do wonders for your mental stressors.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,354 Member
    Options
  • thb309
    thb309 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    It really depends on the person. I do much better weighing daily. With daily data I can assess my weight loss trend and I understand my weight flucuations much better.

This is a true statement as well. When it comes to weight control and exercise, what works for one doesn’t mean it will work for others. You have to find what works for you individually. I do that by trying different things until it suits my goal expectations and the gains or losses are trending in the right direction.