Left overs....wasted

Options
So new habits are a challenge to make. In the past two weeks I have eaten out once. I have been cooking at home like a fool. Left overs are pilling up, right out to the trash. I've done the whole turkey meatballs with spaghetti then make subs the next day. I work a lot. Several hours a week with three job. It's easier to cook a few times a week then reheat through the week. But not good about the actually follow through after cooking. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you all for your help.

Replies

• michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you could freeze your leftovers into portion sized meals and reheats and eat wen needed, stops food going to waste in the fridge.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    At my boyfriend's house, they only cook what they put on their plates and eat... so there's no leftovers at all. It's brilliant because you can't over eat.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it's easier to cook a whole new meal than to reheat yesterday's leftovers.. I do that several times a week. Or I pack some leftovers for the next day's lunch. You can also freeze many types of dishes.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    when you precook meals and then feel like eating something else..... I assume that is what you are struggling with.

I will do the same thing from time to time. I will throw the veggies and any chicken in a freezer bag. Once I have a bag full, I make some chicken soup. Really quick and easy to do if you are using all precooked stuff.

I have also gotten small sized (freezable) containers. I prepackage several meals and then pull them out when I need a quick meal. Like to take to lunch or when I have had to work a bit late. I kinda make my own frozen dinners that way. Another plus is my husband and I can each have whatever we feel like on those nights AND I always have something to take to work for lunch!
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Ok this is gonna sound too simple but.... Cut your recipes down. I cut a recipe to feed how many people are actually going to eat it. If its just me and my husband I cut the recipe in half so it just feeds us two. I make out my whole weeks worth of meals and buy accordingly, I don't have leftovers and I don't buy more than I need. Does the cashier look at me weird because I buy 1 jalapeño? Yes... But oh well, I don't buy more than I need and I don't throw food away either!
  • Melissajojo3
    Options
    if i cook and its comes out to about 8 servings I share it with my family and send plates thier way :P