Buying a new car, need advice

Options
Hey everyone, I need some unbiased opinions to help me in my purchase of my first car...feedback from females is much appreciated.

I've narrowed my choices down to the 2012 Volkswagen GTI and the 2012 Ford Mustang Convertible (V6). Both are quite luxurious on the inside. Ford is a full second faster 0-60, but looks and feels more vulgar. GTI feels more like refined European power...which I like, but it isn't a convertible, so is not as "fun" or "cool" for passengers.

I'm getting them both at roughly the same price due to USAA discounts, so I'm really torn between the two...the Mustang is much faster and more powerful, but still maintains decent mileage for what it is. The GTI is much cuter, and I think it suits my personality more. Both are very fun to drive, though the GTi a bit more

It really comes down to American Muscle vs. European Refinement...Both are great cars, I like the GTI better, but having a convertible would be so awesome.

Any advice?? I'm really torn and not sure what to do.

Replies

• hbdub7
    hbdub7 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Buy A CAMARO!
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    What is the weather like where you live? Any snow, ever?
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I need some unbiased opinions to help me in my purchase of my first car...feedback from females is much appreciated.

I've narrowed my choices down to the 2012 Volkswagen GTI and the 2012 Ford Mustang Convertible (V6). Both are quite luxurious on the inside. Ford is a full second faster 0-60, but looks and feels more vulgar. GTI feels more like refined European power...which I like, but it isn't a convertible, so is not as "fun" or "cool" for passengers.

I'm getting them both at roughly the same price due to USAA discounts, so I'm really torn between the two...the Mustang is much faster and more powerful, but still maintains decent mileage for what it is. The GTI is much cuter, and I think it suits my personality more. Both are very fun to drive, though the GTi a bit more

It really comes down to American Muscle vs. European Refinement...Both are great cars, I like the GTI better, but having a convertible would be so awesome.

Any advice?? I'm really torn and not sure what to do.

i think it will also depend a lot on where you live. would a convertible be easier to steal? is it practical for the weather? my best friend lives in Ann Arbor, MI and she has to switch out her convertible's soft top for the hard top in the winter or her car doesn't weigh enough to not skid around (granted, it's also an itty bitty BMW).

also, look at the resell value. VW will most likely resell a bit higher than Ford.

how about repair costs? it'll be cheaper to fix the Ford (unless, of course, you have my old Ford, which i swear i spent as much fixing as i did on the freaking thing). however, German engineering is also good.

i personally would choose the VW, but i'm not much into convertibles to be honest.

good luck! i just bought a boring Toyota Camry and i love it!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    oh also, if you're looking to like...pick up girls or whatever, i almost also say go with the VW...to me that screams classy!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Got to be honest, I'm "over" the "cool car" thing. :happy: I go with reliability! So, that is what I would use to decide between the two.
  • Speedy89
    Options
    There's some snow where I live (Northern VA). But not enough to seriously influence a car purchase...it snows like 6 inches in the year, maybe. Also my area is quite safe.

The GTI would be better int he snow (it's front wheel drive). But again, weather isn't that serious a consideration
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Got to be honest, I'm "over" the "cool car" thing. :happy: I go with reliability! So, that is what I would use to decide between the two.

Agreed. Honestly, I don't really understand why people care how quickly a car can go from 0-60. You're still going to face traffic no matter how fast you go. I'm the weirdo who drives the speed limit and while people laugh as they pass me, I laugh as I stop right next to them? 40mpg on my subcompact FTW.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    FORD ALL THE WAY!!!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Wow at the double post.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    GTI for sure.I love convertibles but I also think the GTI is classier. Downfall is the 4 cylinder. I will hopefully never drive anther 4 cylinder. I am all about the V6. Does the 4 cylinder turbocharged compare with the V6?
  • starpi22
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I love mustangs, but I would go with the VW, they are safer, more reliable, better gas mileage and I notice from your profile you call yourself a young professional, so I think that you will respect that they are more sophisticated. Maybe get one with a sun roof or even look into the 2012 VW Golf Cabriolet convertible... They are classy looking and have quite a few engine options including a twin turbo...

EDIT: 2012 VW Golf Cabriolet convertible, These might not be available yet lol *sorry*
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    I'm gonna be biased and say go American Muscle. I have an 06 Mustang GT and I love that car to death! I know you said you're looking at the 2012 v6 not the 5.0 but that car still has some power esp with new 3.7 and other goodies. And as far as looks go once again the mustang wins. If you're looking to pick up girls TRUST ME the mustang is deff the way to go haha. And don't listen to these people about the Slowmarro haha I spank those SS's all day. And the v6 camaro is a complete dog. Its down there with that v6 boat they call a Challenger :P
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I would go with the Mustang, but that's b/c it's what I like--you should go with the VW if that's what you like. Girls won't like you b/c of your car--and if they do they are shallow and not worth your time.

Another consideration might be insurance--I believe convertables are often costlier to insure b/c they are easier to steal regardless of how safe the area is where you love, so check into that as well.
  • Speedy89
    Options
    GTI for sure.I love convertibles but I also think the GTI is classier. Downfall is the 4 cylinder. I will hopefully never drive anther 4 cylinder. I am all about the V6. Does the 4 cylinder turbocharged compare with the V6?

The GTI V4 turbo goes 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds with the DSG automatic transmission, I think it has 230 bhp. The Mustang V6 takes about 5.1 seconds with 305 bhp. The Mustang's acceleration is very linear (you feel pretty constant torque from 0-60), while the GTI's is a bit slower 0-30, but very fast 30-60. The DSG is also much faster and more efficient than a manual transmission, it changes gears in the blink of an eye...it's one of the main performance benefits of VWs.

VW will introduce another V6 Golf R in 2012 here in the US, it will be priced in the 30,000 range
    I'm gonna be biased and say go American Muscle. I have an 06 Mustang GT and I love that car to death! I know you said you're looking at the 2012 v6 not the 5.0 but that car still has some power esp with new 3.7 and other goodies. And as far as looks go once again the mustang wins. If you're looking to pick up girls TRUST ME the mustang is deff the way to go haha. And don't listen to these people about the Slowmarro haha I spank those SS's all day. And the v6 camaro is a complete dog. Its down there with that v6 boat they call a Challenger :P

Yeah, I figure as a chick magnet the Mustang is an obvious choice, more so with the convertible, just concerned that it will attract the wrong kind of girl.
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    It sounds like from the driving perspective, you really are leaning toward the GTI. Your comfort is important, since you don't get to look at the shiny while driving.

The 2010 mustang fishtails beyond belief in the tiniest bit of snow, and sometimes in the rain. It could be said I drive a little fast, but that rental went back!
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    I was just messin around with the whole chick magnet concept. Do girls love mustangs? Yes. But obviously it takes more than a nice car to win over a girl (a girl who's worth your time anyways). All I can say is I love my mustang to death and it's a blast to drive and from my experience a very reliable car as long as you're good to it. And honestly in the snow and rain it actually performs DECENTLY (not great) with the traction control as long as you're careful. But it's really about you and what you like. You're gonna be shelling out a lot of money and at the end of the day YOU have to be happy and not anyone else whether you get a VW or a Ford. Just throwin in my 2 cents about mustangs to help you out.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It sounds like from the driving perspective, you really are leaning toward the GTI. Your comfort is important, since you don't get to look at the shiny while driving.

The 2010 mustang fishtails beyond belief in the tiniest bit of snow, and sometimes in the rain. It could be said I drive a little fast, but that rental went back!

I agree that ANY amount of snow is too much snow for a Mustang.
  • Speedy89
    Options
    I was just messin around with the whole chick magnet concept. Do girls love mustangs? Yes. But obviously it takes more than a nice car to win over a girl (a girl who's worth your time anyways). All I can say is I love my mustang to death and it's a blast to drive and from my experience a very reliable car as long as you're good to it. And honestly in the snow and rain it actually performs DECENTLY (not great) with the traction control as long as you're careful. But it's really about you and what you like. You're gonna be shelling out a lot of money and at the end of the day YOU have to be happy and not anyone else whether you get a VW or a Ford. Just throwin in my 2 cents about mustangs to help you out.

haha yeah I got that...obviously you won't get laid just because of your car, but picking up a date in a convertible instead of a golf would definitely help you on your way
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    What's your budget? If you have $25-30k to spend buy yourself a CPO 3-series BMW. I got my 328I for under $27K with super low miles. It handles great, RWD, it is better built and reliable than the GTI or Mustang, has better quality interior, and will turn heads much more than either.
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    Haha yep now you're talking dude