Buying a new car, need advice

Options
2»

Replies

• justdance311
    Options
    I would go with the Volkswagen. I personally love foreign cars. When I was younger I wanted a Mustang, but then I snapped out of it and decided that foreign cars make better rides.
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    What's your budget? If you have $25-30k to spend buy yourself a CPO 3-series BMW. I got my 328I for under $27K with super low miles. It handles great, RWD, it is better built and reliable than the GTI or Mustang, has better quality interior, and will turn heads much more than either.

turn more heads than a mustang? that's quite a statement to make...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's your opinion...Only beamer that would do that is an m3 or m5...
  • Speedy89
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, you have given me a lot to think about.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    turn more heads than a mustang? that's quite a statement to make...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's your opinion...Only beamer that would do that is an m3 or m5...

For you to say that only and M3 or M5 would turn more heads than a mustang is "your opinion" and a foolish one I might add. You think if someone pulled up in a 335CI twin-turbo or even a base model 5 series or 7 series it wouldn't turn more heads than a V6 mustang, or even a GT? Please, I HIGHLY doubt it.
    Believe you me, 99% of people will treat you differently when they see you pull up in a BMW vs a Mustang. I've owned an Acura, Honda, Ford Mustang, Chevy Silverado, and Dodge Ram, and now a BMW. Woman and men alike give me more "nice car" and the ghetto "bauuuliiinnnn" complements in the BMW than any other car I've owned. So no, I'm not simply stating an opinion, I'm speaking from experience.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I'm no good with cars, but what I can tell you is, if there are any in your area, stay AWAY from ANY Crowley dealers. If that's where you're thinking of buying, message me and I'll tell you why not, long story.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    German engineering > American engineering

I would pick the VW over a Ford any day of the year. Although, a BMW would be an excellent choice as well. One of the real positive about German cars is that with proper maintenance and care they can literally last forever. I know someone with a BMW 5 series that's 250,000 miles and still going. I'm personally a huge fan of the GTI, I think it's a pretty awesome car. I don't know where you live, but I think in general having a convertible as your primary car is not the best idea. Just my experience. I have a convertible, but it's not my main car and I'd never want it to be.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'd say the VW... but I live in Germany and may be partial. lol.

I'm not a fan of convertables myself. Honest. Even when I lived in CA where the weather affords one.
  • 06MustangGT
    Options

For you to say that only and M3 or M5 would turn more heads than a mustang is "your opinion" and a foolish one I might add. You think if someone pulled up in a 335CI twin-turbo or even a base model 5 series or 7 series it wouldn't turn more heads than a V6 mustang, or even a GT? Please, I HIGHLY doubt it.
    Believe you me, 99% of people will treat you differently when they see you pull up in a BMW vs a Mustang. I've owned an Acura, Honda, Ford Mustang, Chevy Silverado, and Dodge Ram, and now a BMW. Woman and men alike give me more "nice car" and the ghetto "bauuuliiinnnn" complements in the BMW than any other car I've owned. So no, I'm not simply stating an opinion, I'm speaking from experience.

I'm just not a BMW guy. More an American Muscle guy. My preference.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would just get the VW, honestly.

If you're going to get the Mustang, you have to get the GT at least. Especially if you're talking a new 2011+ Mustang, the new Coyote 5.0 has taken the Mustang GT out of the dark ages of performance for the first time in almost 20 years. Let's be frank, the Mustang (and Camaro, and Firebird) have always been fairly cheap (in both meanings of the word) cars. What makes them great is the bang-for-the-buck power and fun factor. The power and torque of the V8 and that beautiful roar that the V6 just can't reproduce.

Furthermore, if you're looking for a car to attract women, the Mustang just isn't going to do it - unless you're looking for shallow, useless women. Having been a long time muscle car/sports car owner, I can tell you what cars like this attract:

1) Old men who want to talk about the muscle car they had decades ago and how much they miss etc.. Fun but not what you're looking for.
    2) The odd gearhead (like me) that wants to talk shop
    3) Little kids who will stare, mouth agape as you pass by.

Moral of the story is, if you're getting something pedestrian and boring just go with a VW. If you want something that will put a smile on your face every time you drive it, get at least a GT or an SS. Manual transmission is more or less a requirement too. Let's face it, a V6 automatic convertible might as well scream "CHICK CAR!".

No offense intended for the chicks that like chick cars or to scarletleavy.
  • scarletleavy
    Options

If you're going to get the Mustang, you have to get the GT at least. Especially if you're talking a new 2011+ Mustang, the new Coyote 5.0 has taken the Mustang GT out of the dark ages of performance for the first time in almost 20 years. Let's be frank, the Mustang (and Camaro, and Firebird) have always been fairly cheap (in both meanings of the word) cars. What makes them great is the bang-for-the-buck power and fun factor. The power and torque of the V8 and that beautiful roar that the V6 just can't reproduce.

Furthermore, if you're looking for a car to attract women, the Mustang just isn't going to do it - unless you're looking for shallow, useless women. Having been a long time muscle car/sports car owner, I can tell you what cars like this attract:

1) Old men who want to talk about the muscle car they had decades ago and how much they miss etc.. Fun but not what you're looking for.

Moral of the story is, if you're getting something pedestrian and boring just go with a VW. If you want something that will put a smile on your face every time you drive it, get at least a GT or an SS. Manual transmission is more or less a requirement too. Let's face, it a V6 automatic convertible might as well scream "CHICK CAR!".

No offense intended for the chicks that like chick cars.

I like you. Although as a woman who loves cars, I'm slightly offended by the chick car comment. Haha, I'd never drive a "chick car".
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Moral of the story is, if you're getting something pedestrian and boring just go with a VW. If you want something that will put a smile on your face every time you drive it, get at least a GT or an SS. Manual transmission is more or less a requirement too. Let's face, it a V6 automatic convertible might as well scream "CHICK CAR!".

I like you. Although as a woman who loves cars, I'm slightly offended by the chick car comment. Haha, I'd never drive a "chick car".

I edited my post for you :)
  • scarletleavy
    Options

I edited my post for you :)

Haha. Awww thanks!
  • martinh78
    Options
    Sat reading this in the UK I reckon 99% of folk would say MUSTANG!!

The Golf is pretty boring/common over hear. Maybe not boring to drive, but boring in every other way.
  • kungfurockchick
    Options
    My advise would be, forget the car and get yourself a big shiny trike.....so much more fun and guaranteed to turn heads lol :p