Steps and calories burned

Options
I’m surprised by how few calories I burn walking - just now I walked about 8000 steps and the fitness pal said that I’d used 87 calories. Can that be right?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Was this a synced activity or was this based on logging your activity in MFP? If it was a synced activity, what is your activity level set at? The higher your activity level, the more you'll have to do in order to begin seeing significant adjustments.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I’m surprised by how few calories I burn walking - just now I walked about 8000 steps and the fitness pal said that I’d used 87 calories. Can that be right?

To add to @janejellyroll's questions are you using an Apple Watch?

87 calories is not right for 8000 steps if you have your MFP activity set for sedentary.
  • nickandbex4252
    nickandbex4252 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It was synced with fitness pal ie I didn’t input the steps myself (is that what you mean?) But I haven’t set an activity level I don’t think. Not sure how to do that - will look into it. Thanks
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It was synced with fitness pal ie I didn’t input the steps myself (is that what you mean?) But I haven’t set an activity level I don’t think. Not sure how to do that - will look into it. Thanks

What was synced with MFP? An Apple watch? A Fitbit? Something else?

If you have a calorie goal from MFP, you set an activity level at some point.
  • nickandbex4252
    nickandbex4252 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m not using an apple watch or Fitbit. I just take the phone out with me when I walk. (For other exercise I calculate the calories burned and put that in to MFP myself) - I wonder if I should do that from now on?). Oh and I’ve changed my activity level to ‘not very active’ to see if that makes a difference. Thanks both for your replies!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you were set to "lightly active" that sounds about right. That's what I'm set at and I don't get a positive adjustment until around 8,000-9,000 steps. I have negative adjustments enabled and mfp will take calories away unless I get at least around 7500-8,000 steps. You may be getting a slight under adjustment if you're only tracking steps on planned walks. Something like a fitbit would track all of your steps throughout the day. I know that personally in quarantine I get hardly any steps just going about my day/pretty much everything comes from planned walks now, but it depends on what you're doing. When I was working I got a ton of steps throughout my day.