Losing weight during Quarantine

Options
adchak
adchak Posts: 62 Member
I am finding it very hard to maintain my weight let alone lose it with being homebound and shelter in place. Fault is mine with tons of cooking yummy dishes, baking a ton (which I normally avoid given butter, flour n sugar combo is the worst) and trying out new recipes. Tryg hard to get back to my smoothies, salads and healthy eating. Are you all cutting down on total calories because movement is restricted. I normally eat 1200-1300 cals and worked out- Barre classes which is a good mix of some cardio and tons of stretching, movements with weights. All that has stopped for the last 2 months. I try and do the elliptical 3 times a week 45-50 mins; 3.5 miles. Pl share whats been working for you! Have you increased your exercise or reduced the calories in?

Replies

• KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Since you cannot reduce your calories below 1200, then you are going to either have to work on reducing your portions or increasing your cardio.

However I will say that your calories are very low, how tall are you? What's your weight that you are maintaining? How much did you gain?
  • adchak
    Options
    I’m 5ft 7 inches; was 180 lbs in Nov 2019 (went from 202 lbs to 180 lbs in 6-7 months in 2019) Ard Dec 2019 weight went upto 186/187 to 190. I went down to 185 by early Mar 2020 and now have gained 7 -8 lbs!!! Some of it is water weight but I’m really concerned that since overall movement has gone down even if I eat my 1200-1300 cals I will still gain wt. HELP!!! I’ve been hypothyroid for the last 20 yrs levela are normal and I take medication. Also take hypertension medication and recently started diuretics to keep BP in normal range. Diuretic worked v well and BP is well withim normal range.
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You are probably right about a lot of it being water..

Regardless on if you increase cardio, you still have to make sure you eat 1200 calories.. reducing them is not going to benefit you in any way, health wise or weight wise, making yourself hungrier is just asking for a binge.

What is your rate of loss set to? Half a pound per week? Or higher?
  • JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What is your rate of loss set to? Half a pound per week? Or higher?

This. Check your target is set to half a pound a week. And also check what your activity level is set as. As a teacher, I've gone from being on my feet all day and doing 30,000 steps without noticing, to having to push myself to get to 10,000.
    Can you do the elliptical more often, but for less time. Or do a home workout like yoga or something, to get your stretching in?

And also, don't be too hard on yourself! This is a tough time, so if you can maintain, you're doing well!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I march in place in front of my TV to still get steps in. It was a bit of an adjustment, because back when I was working (not from home) I would easily get 7K steps at work. Now I've gotten used to it and can only sit and watch TV for a little bit before I feel the need to get up and move. Now that the weather is nicer I've also been taking some walks outside. Even pre-quarantine I wasn't doing exercise other than walking, but there are tons and tons of free workout videos on youtube if that's your thing. I have negative adjustments enabled for my fitbit and I am motivated to move enough to not lose calories at the very least. No way am I going to be stuck at home all day and eat less!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,254 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of healthy option recipes out there just Google low calorie options for your favorite recipes. On good option is cauliflower, you can use it in place of mash potatoes and trust me if done correctly it is excellent. Spaghetti squash in place of pastas. And of course the main part of any weight loss plane or maintenance plan is portion control. PC is where I stumble a lot as well as snacking.
    I'm actually down since starting shelter in place, I've been making a point to take a walk and get some form of exercising in.
    Stay strong, you got this.
  • adchak
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! Appreciate the encouragement! I’m now even more determined to not let this crazy situation impact my weight adversely!
  • TazzWaz
    TazzWaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally get the baking and trying new recipes since we have more time. I have 2 girls 12 and 14 and they always want to try new items to bake especially during quarantine since they are home from school. After the 1st 2-3 weeks I actually had them help me de-clutter the pantry and got rid of all the junky type processed foods. I do not allow them to bake more than once in 2 weeks. Plus we signed up for Les Mills on Demand and have loved doing the workouts since Golds Gym has been closed. I am 5 ft 2 inches and my girls are around the same height. All 3 of us have to be careful since we are shorties/petite:).
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You type two different things.

One is quarantine and the other is shelter in place. Quarantine, you're locked in a room and have to be served. Either because you're sick or you were in contact with someone who was sick. Either way, you need to preserve your strength and eat healthy.

With shelter in place, you can go our for a walk and for groceries. You can cook and exercise at home.

Which is it?
  • adchak
    Options
    Sorry meant shelter in place! But I live in the city in chicago and stepping outside when you see ppl without masks n taking it v lightly on the mask guidelines etc scares me. But I do agree being more active is key to avoid gaining weight. Workg out everyday or 5 times a week is key to balance the lack of movement
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    adchak wrote: »
    I am finding it very hard to maintain my weight let alone lose it with being homebound and shelter in place. Fault is mine with tons of cooking yummy dishes, baking a ton (which I normally avoid given butter, flour n sugar combo is the worst) and trying out new recipes. Tryg hard to get back to my smoothies, salads and healthy eating. Are you all cutting down on total calories because movement is restricted. I normally eat 1200-1300 cals and worked out- Barre classes which is a good mix of some cardio and tons of stretching, movements with weights. All that has stopped for the last 2 months. I try and do the elliptical 3 times a week 45-50 mins; 3.5 miles. Pl share whats been working for you! Have you increased your exercise or reduced the calories in?

Actually - I'm more active (my lesser-active activities are all cancelled, leaving just cycling and running as my leisure activities) & eating less (no more restaurants, bars, potlucks, post-group-ride-beer/snacks in parking lots,... so food/ingredients I didn't make the choice to buy and bring home no longer have the ability to magically appear in front of me).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm your height and am losing weight while often eating more than 2000 calories per day because it's gardening season and I have a new project, plus all my old gardening projects.

Because I'm gardening, I'm neglecting all the other things I can do at home or allowed places - walk, hike, practice yoga, strength train. Well, I do do the indoor stuff when the rain keeps me indoors. I've also done some deep cleaning. If I wasn't able to garden I'd consider painting walls.

We are having bad weather tomorrow and I'll be cooking up a storm, but I'll be mindful of portions and bulk up with low calorie veggies.

Because of your height, weight, and calorie target, I'm wondering if you see this happening:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg
  • LukesGreenMilk
    LukesGreenMilk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    TazzWaz wrote: »
    I totally get the baking and trying new recipes since we have more time. I have 2 girls 12 and 14 and they always want to try new items to bake especially during quarantine since they are home from school. After the 1st 2-3 weeks I actually had them help me de-clutter the pantry and got rid of all the junky type processed foods. I do not allow them to bake more than once in 2 weeks. Plus we signed up for Les Mills on Demand and have loved doing the workouts since Golds Gym has been closed. I am 5 ft 2 inches and my girls are around the same height. All 3 of us have to be careful since we are shorties/petite:).

I have no idea what kind of relationship you have with food or what the situation with your daughters is, but I find it initially somewhat concerning that you're limiting their baking to once every two weeks and describe two young pre-teens/teens as having to be "careful" because they're short. Twelve and fourteen are really young to be getting those messages about their bodies.
    6th grade and 8th grade are perfectly acceptable ages to teach about moderation. Source: I’ve taught PE and health in the schools for years. The amount of middle schoolers with no concept of “everything in moderation” because their parents want to just let them be is astounding, and a cause of childhood obesity.

• Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    kbushe3221 wrote: »
    I started off here at 185 lbs and am also 5’7. I have been able to lose weight during quarantine by aiming for 1200 calories a day when I don’t work out, but will eat as a much as 1500 if I do exercise. The elliptical is one of my favorite ways to exercise and would do anywhere between 30-60 min about 3-5 times a week, but not now bc the gyms are closed. I am mostly walking or doing home workouts. This morning I weighed myself at 179.4 so I am down almost 6 lbs on quarantine and you can do it too!

how do you stick to 1200/1300 consistently? i get so hungry I can't even think.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TazzWaz wrote: »

I have no idea what kind of relationship you have with food or what the situation with your daughters is, but I find it initially somewhat concerning that you're limiting their baking to once every two weeks and describe two young pre-teens/teens as having to be "careful" because they're short. Twelve and fourteen are really young to be getting those messages about their bodies.
    6th grade and 8th grade are perfectly acceptable ages to teach about moderation. Source: I’ve taught PE and health in the schools for years. The amount of middle schoolers with no concept of “everything in moderation” because their parents want to just let them be is astounding, and a cause of childhood obesity.

I don't think I said anything about not teaching children moderation. Does moderation require limiting baking -- a perfectly reasonable cooking method -- to once every two weeks? Or can it include supporting a child's passion for learning to bake with a variety of foods, including some that can be eaten more regularly in the context of a balanced diet?

Does moderation require modeling the expectation that young girls have to be "careful" about their bodies because they're short? Does it require throwing away perfectly good food instead of enjoying it alongside foods that are more nutritionally dense/lower calorie?

None of these things are *required* for learning moderation. In fact, I think the messages that baking is dangerous, our bodies are stacked against us, and that a pantry must be purged of certain foods can potentially be detrimental to learning moderation.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Cerizez wrote: »
    kbushe3221 wrote: »
    I started off here at 185 lbs and am also 5’7. I have been able to lose weight during quarantine by aiming for 1200 calories a day when I don’t work out, but will eat as a much as 1500 if I do exercise. The elliptical is one of my favorite ways to exercise and would do anywhere between 30-60 min about 3-5 times a week, but not now bc the gyms are closed. I am mostly walking or doing home workouts. This morning I weighed myself at 179.4 so I am down almost 6 lbs on quarantine and you can do it too!

how do you stick to 1200/1300 consistently? i get so hungry I can't even think.

It can be difficult but it is possible. Some things that help me are I/F. By doing this I get to have meals I enjoy later in the day. Also little things like switching to black coffee. Plus when I workout I get to eat more calories than 12-1300
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    @kbushe3221 - thanks.

I think the mistake I was making was not eating my exercise calories.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have cut back from 2000 to 1500-1600 cals. I still work out but I just can’t get into it and don’t burn as much as I was. I am losing weight but sadly, it is muscle. I am hungry, I woke up in the night and got some turkey jerky!