Knots from running

Options
For the last 6-9 months I’ve been on/off exercising post-partum. This is currently my third week of consistent exercising and I know, from previously being in shape, that my body is réadapting. I’m trying to listen to it without letting it dictate too much rest.

My one leg knots up so easily. Particularly my left calf. I’ve been to physical therapy and seen a doctor, we have ruled out anything serious.

➡️ But I need some help preventing this and still being able to run as well as how to work this out so don’t fear a Charley horse every night.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    What is your current cool down stretching like?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My one leg knots up so easily.

You have one leg, and you run? Impressive. B)

Try this calf stretch every hour, for 30+ seconds. You might need to set an alarm if you forget to do it hourly.

Post an update in a few days.
  • brooklynans910
    brooklynans910 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Usually my knots come from dehydration- have you tried making sure you’re drinking lots of water? Also, hip and glute strengthening always help even out any imbalances which may be the issue since it’s just one leg. I get this weird spasm in my right foot whenever I slack on hip and glute strengthening!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    I had muscle cramps. My doctor suggested hydrating and also taking magnesium citrate. YMMV but it really did work for me,

I also stretch every morning for about twenty or thirty minutes, although that has gone by the wayside during corona, because I’m doing so many mat classes anyway, I really need to get back to the slow morning stretches.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I would look into your load management and programming of your running. It is possible that recovery from the load isn't optimal.

Are you running a different program than previously where you didn't experience this feeling?

How are you managing your increase of load and fatigue?

Does your legs get other means of stimulus and how are you adapted to that?

Those three answers could be very helpful to giving some relieve.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cramps can be a result of dehydration, low electrolytes or just too much, too soon, too fast. Your comment "I’m trying to listen to it without letting it dictate too much rest." makes me suspect the latter. Dial it down a notch and see what happens.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    A Charley horse is pretty serious. It takes days to get over one. Most likely you are just overdoing it. You have a newborn !!!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have to take magnesium at night to prevent muscle spasms, especially when weight training or running a lot. Hydrate, take some electrolytes (like propel or Gatorade), stretch, and roll/massage the area. I got a knot in my calf and would roll it out a few times a day with a soup can.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I’ll try hydrating more. I slack badly on that.

My current cool down consists of around ten minutes of static stretching for my hips, glutes, thighs, calves and feet.

What’s odd is that this seems to only happen when I run on the treadmill versus on pavement and trails.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

My current cool down consists of around ten minutes of static stretching for my hips, glutes, thighs, calves and feet.

What’s odd is that this seems to only happen when I run on the treadmill versus on pavement and trails.

you run differently on the treadmill. keeping your feet more flexed.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Try making slight but frequent changes to you pace as your on the treadmill. The steady and constant pace of the treadmill is unlike your constantly changing pace of running outdoors.