I'm sorry i still dont get it :(

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Outside of the fact your food diary is full of estimates, and your fitbit is estimating.

Look at your Fitbit near the end of the day after dinner.
    Find the screen that gives the daily burn.
    Or find that in the Fitbit app.

Subtract 1000 calories from that number.

You could eat that and lose 2 lbs weekly.

If still 4 hrs away from midnight, you are going to burn more than you see because you aren't dead - so you could eat more and lose 2 lbs weekly.

You've just done what MFP is going to do with that number.

Simple and done.

Past that there are tweaks to help improve accuracy.
    A lot of steps with inaccurate stride length setting means inaccurate distance means inaccurate daily calorie burn.
    A lot of interval type cardio daily leads to inflated HR readings for true effort expended, means inflated calorie burn.

Logging food by volume instead of weight means inaccurate calorie count.
    Trusting food labels are better than potentially 20% off means inaccurate calorie count.

See - problems on both sides of the equation for weight loss. You can tweak to improve accuracy as best you can - but guess what - you'll never nail it perfectly.

And as many have told you in these many threads - you need patience.
    Get it setup as best you can and move forward with consistency.

I almost figure the stress you are showing so far on this matter is going to likely cause you to not lose any weight on the scale while you keep it up.
    So should start taking some measurements right now since water weight can hide fat loss on the scale, but measurements can tell a better story usually.

To your questions:
    1 - you don't understand what the adjustment is doing. Follow the steps I gave above. It's doing that.
    2 - You made adjustment in middle of day probably and didn't wait for the next sync - don't do that.
    3 - plan your day better now that you know the adjustment amount. Yes leave on sedentary and just know a round figure that is close for end eating goal based on NOT making your deficit bigger than 1000. Miss your goal by 300 calories is not good for long term.

Be consistent with something and then take 4 weeks to look at trend weight. Your metabolism literally changes through the month, so it takes that long to discern something.
  • JK1542020
    JK1542020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Outside of the fact your food diary is full of estimates, and your fitbit is estimating.

Look at your Fitbit near the end of the day after dinner.
    Find the screen that gives the daily burn.
    Or find that in the Fitbit app.

Subtract 1000 calories from that number.

You could eat that and lose 2 lbs weekly.

If still 4 hrs away from midnight, you are going to burn more than you see because you aren't dead - so you could eat more and lose 2 lbs weekly.

You've just done what MFP is going to do with that number.

Simple and done.

Past that there are tweaks to help improve accuracy.
    A lot of steps with inaccurate stride length setting means inaccurate distance means inaccurate daily calorie burn.
    A lot of interval type cardio daily leads to inflated HR readings for true effort expended, means inflated calorie burn.

Logging food by volume instead of weight means inaccurate calorie count.
    Trusting food labels are better than potentially 20% off means inaccurate calorie count.

See - problems on both sides of the equation for weight loss. You can tweak to improve accuracy as best you can - but guess what - you'll never nail it perfectly.

And as many have told you in these many threads - you need patience.
    Get it setup as best you can and move forward with consistency.

I almost figure the stress you are showing so far on this matter is going to likely cause you to not lose any weight on the scale while you keep it up.
    So should start taking some measurements right now since water weight can hide fat loss on the scale, but measurements can tell a better story usually.

To your questions:
    1 - you don't understand what the adjustment is doing. Follow the steps I gave above. It's doing that.
    2 - You made adjustment in middle of day probably and didn't wait for the next sync - don't do that.
    3 - plan your day better now that you know the adjustment amount. Yes leave on sedentary and just know a round figure that is close for end eating goal based on NOT making your deficit bigger than 1000. Miss your goal by 300 calories is not good for long term.

Be consistent with something and then take 4 weeks to look at trend weight. Your metabolism literally changes through the month, so it takes that long to discern something.

I am patient. I'm sorry if ive annoyed you with my "many posts" but you don't have to read them or reply. The info youve preovided os helpful and i am learning as i go. When i have questions, i ask. Perhaps im just not as intelligent as you? Who knows? I'm trying my best. I think my title made it clear i was a bit embarrassed to ask again.

I am actually very prepared to lose this weight slowly over years. I have stressed this repeatedly in previous posts. Like i said i am learning about weight loss, and trying to get it right. I don't understand why im constantly being told im not being patient and I'm trying to lose it fast. Im just trying to do as I'm told ny people here, what im reading etc

I'm doing my best but being told off for not being patient when im clearly trying hard is very unhelpful.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You haven't annoyed me or I wouldn't answer.

You are just showing a response I and many have seen, many times. It's not a matter of "getting" or not getting something - it's coming back to it again not trusting what's been mentioned.
    And it's usually indicative of stressing over something.
    Maybe it is just back of your mind questions - in which case that's great not getting stressed over it.
    But many of your words express disbelief that things could be as people are telling you they are.

But just as ones wanted to call out what appeared to be too great a deficit being created would be unhealthy,
    I was getting the sense of stress building up over the whole thing.
    And that can lead to side effects that invariably leads to more stress.
    Stress adds water weight - that's the result I'm thinking that will cause more stress.

Pretty sure if you added weight right now with all this examining and non-trust of what's going on (your words say not trusting it) - you'd want to chuck the whole thing and get more stressed out.

I've seen it many times.
    Maybe I'm wrong in this case to warn what may happen - but if it doesn't apply, then no problem.

Sorry if it came off as telling you off. But trying very hard as you've been doing doesn't mean you are being patient - and that's what is indeed needed whether you know it or not.
    Others have said that too - you'll need to wait after using trend weight for awhile - that's being patient isn't it?
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I still think that if the adjustment part bugs you, stop syncing. Stop setting for 1200 expecting an adjustment. Set MFP for sedentary and losing 1 lb/week and log your exercise with a realistic estimate of those EXERCISE cals. Ignore everything else. You are seeing only part of the math when you look at your diary, and both you, MFP, and Fitbit are adding and subtracting.

Why would you continue to do something that confuses you? I get confused, too, and I know I'm not stupid. I'm just lazy. I don't want to do all the mental math to make it make sense to myself, especially when it is so much easier and less messy (with fewer "adjustments") if you just use MFP for sedentary and log exercise cals. Keep consistent the percentage of exercise cals you eat back and give it about 3 weeks (unless you are too hungry). You will have a better sense of your true burn over all if you do that and see how much you actually lose over a period of time, b/c that math is easy.