How do you measure a table spoon of peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    LOL you guys are flippin nuts with this. I would probably measure with the correct spoon then remember it looks like for the next time. How do you expect to keep this up forever moving forward? If you overshoot by 10-20% I cannot imagine it being of any consequence.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself before eating a spoon of it, then put a spoon of it in my mouth, then weigh myself again.
  • desireecl
    desireecl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    LOL you guys are flippin nuts with this. I would probably measure with the correct spoon then remember it looks like for the next time. How do you expect to keep this up forever moving forward? If you overshoot by 10-20% I cannot imagine it being of any consequence.

Well, if I live to be 100 and eat pb every day of my life including the 25 leap days that would occur, if I over shot my pb measurement by 10% every time (approx. 20 cal assuming 200 cal per 2tbsp) I could, theoretically, gain 208.7 lbs over the course of my lifetime from the mismeasurement of pb alone....wait, what?!?! Math is hard!
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Well, if I live to be 100 and eat pb every day of my life including the 25 leap days that would occur, if I over shot my pb measurement by 10% every time (approx. 20 cal assuming 200 cal per 2tbsp) I could, theoretically, gain 208.7 lbs over the course of my lifetime from the mismeasurement of pb alone....wait, what?!?! Math is hard!

Your logic is partially flawed. For every time you overshoot you may end up undershooting the next time.

Can any of you weigh happy people take a pic of what 2 tablespoons of PB looks like on a plate and spread on a piece of bread.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ive always wondered this since the package says one table spoon. How high up can the peanut butter be stacked on the spoon?

I would recommend weighing it if possible. That seems to be the best way to make sure the portion size is correct.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    measuring spoon
    peanut butter
    jab into jar
    remove
    level out
    happy days :D
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I level it off. Also, I learn what portions of things look like so that I don't become reliant on gadgets that I can't always carry with me. Usually if I check myself, I am actually eating less than what I thought. If I'm losing weight or maintaining (whatever my goal is at the time), it's working. I see scales and spoons as tools to teach me visual ways to measure things. If I can bake/cook without measuring, I can surely eat. I really don't care if I'm 20 calories over on one thing and 20 under on another.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I too put whatever I plan to use with the peanut butter ON the food scale (bread, wrap, cracker, etc) then I put the peanut butter on that way.

Digital scale = life saver.

Same here, but mostly because I'm too lazy to wash the tablespoon after measuring.

Before using a food scale I went through measuring spoons all day long. Actually had to buy another set! It was annoying!

Also you can never get all the peanut butter out of the spoon anyhow, at least I couldn't.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious question?
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    I put my bread on the scale and weigh the amount of peanut butter directly on the bread.

Just tried this…revolutionized my life!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh stuff like peanut butter, almond butter, mayo, etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    go metric.......1 tbsp = 15ml
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Weighing takes about as long as logging my food into my diary. In terms of how much weight I've lost, it's a very little price to pay. If I find myself unable to maintain my goal weight without logging and weighing constantly, then yes, this will be something I do for the rest of my life.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself before eating a spoon of it, then put a spoon of it in my mouth, then weigh myself again.

I heart you.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I get out the 1 tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop out some peanut butter, then level off the scoop with a butter knife. There should not be a mound of peanut butter above the edges of the measuring spoon. It's a level measure.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    is it roughly the same amount as scooping your index and middle finger in the jar and sticking them straight into your mouth?
    I buy my peanut butter in a 1kg tub so I can get my whole hand in.....

Legend!
  • mikey803
    mikey803 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see I am not the only one who "struggles" with "measuring" a serving size of peanut butter. lol :D:D Confidentially, I think the peanut butter companies have not put the correct serving size on the label. How can 2 Tbsp be a proper serving size. lol
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,326 Member
    Options
    🧟
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    weigh it?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options

I felt this needed to be said again. :)