Deep frying chips

Options
I have done frozen chips it say x amount per x amount of g how many calories do I add of for cooking them in a deep fat fryer? I am unable to weigh the deep fat dryer before or after and its myself and my partner having them?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is no one right answer, you'll have to make an estimate. Here is some information that might help you estimate: https://www.healthydiningfinder.com/blogs-recipes-more/ask-the-dietitians/oil-absorption-of-fried-foods/

"In terms of the oil absorption of various foods, all fried foods are going to absorb some oil, usually between 8-25% the weight of the food being fried. You’re right in that the temperature of the oil does affect the amount of oil absorbed. If the oil is too cool, the frying time lengthens, leading to more oil being absorbed—thus more fat and calories are added to the food."
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There is no one right answer, you'll have to make an estimate. Here is some information that might help you estimate: https://www.healthydiningfinder.com/blogs-recipes-more/ask-the-dietitians/oil-absorption-of-fried-foods/

"In terms of the oil absorption of various foods, all fried foods are going to absorb some oil, usually between 8-25% the weight of the food being fried. You’re right in that the temperature of the oil does affect the amount of oil absorbed. If the oil is too cool, the frying time lengthens, leading to more oil being absorbed—thus more fat and calories are added to the food."

I decided to oven cook mine instead 😂 my partner is doing his portion in the fryer it is treat/maintance day but I want to be as accurate as possible
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    Options
    Instead of deep frying chips, get an air fryer. I can hand cut potatoes, and spray them with a little olive oil and they taste as good it better than anything from a fast food joint.

I did 40 ounces of potatoes a couple of nights ago and used 4 grams of oil.

It’s like sorcery.

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Instead of deep frying chips, get an air fryer. I can hand cut potatoes, and spray them with a little olive oil and they taste as good it better than anything from a fast food joint.

I did 40 ounces of potatoes a couple of nights ago and used 4 grams of oil.

It’s like sorcery.

I have a air fryer and no they don't taste as good or better than deep fried/take away chips and they take a freaking hour to cook from frozen and forget trying to make fresh chips in it
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    Options
    @angelsja I make mine from fresh whole potatoes.

Easy and fast to cut into strips while the air fryer preheats, and it takes about 23 minutes to cook to the particularly crispy state I like best.

They are delicious served with salt and ketchup, just like restaurant fries, and I overwhelmingly prefer them this way to deep fried now. Even the smell of deep frying makes me nauseous now. (Yay!)

Each to their own. 😘

Btw it might be your air fryer. We get frozen breaded shrimp, and from frozen to crunchy takes about the same time in ours.