I need help... Struggling with food

Options
Today was bad and I think I have a problem. Is food counseling a thing? Should I look for a therapist? I'm ashamed of what I've eaten much of the time and just hate it. Has anyone ever gone to counseling about food or had someone supervise their habits?

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    A therapist can absolutely help you with food issues. I would look for someone who specializes in eating disorders.
  • annaebruner3852
    annaebruner3852 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How badly did you eat today? Start with a small goal like drinking water everyday. You can do it!
  • minimiss669
    minimiss669 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Could it just be that it is Mother's Day and you flew off the handle? How long have you been on a diet? Do you regularly cheat? It is all a learning process.
  • skrowe88
    skrowe88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Could it just be that it is Mother's Day and you flew off the handle? How long have you been on a diet? Do you regularly cheat? It is all a learning process.

Today was unusual, yes, because I was helping clean out my grandma's condo after she died a few weeks ago. A bit emotional I guess. I've been trying to eat better for as long as I can remember. I need to inventory how often I lose it like this. Good idea.
  • skrowe88
    skrowe88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How badly did you eat today? Start with a small goal like drinking water everyday. You can do it!

I'm embarrassed to say what all I ate today but it must have been double my daily intake or more. Water is a good place to start. I just feel like I need someone to tell me exactly what to do and motivate me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    skrowe88 wrote: »

I'm embarrassed to say what all I ate today but it must have been double my daily intake or more. Water is a good place to start. I just feel like I need someone to tell me exactly what to do and motivate me.

There are plans with strict rules about what to eat. They are successful for some people but not all people.

Generally when someone says they need help I encourage them to seek it. However, I would give it a couple of days and let some time pass and see if you can more objectively look at what has happened today. You are probably experiencing a lot of raw emotion at the moment and that is generally not a good time to make decisions. Especially decisions that involve money.

Eating double the amount of food you need is not that big of a deal if it is a rare occurrence. I will often do the same on holidays or vacation days. If you are doing regularly then it definitely needs to be addressed.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I ate 4000 calories today. Being Mother’s Day I had some of all my favorites, including wine and pasta. I planned for this though. As someone with a big appetite who is capable of eating a large quantity, what I have found that works best for me is each month I look at any days that might be occasions for out of the norm eating for me. This includes holidays, Birthdays, vacations. I plan for excess calories depending on what the event is, it can be anywhere from maintenance to 4000 calories those days and then figure out what my deficit needs to be the rest of the days to still have a loss for the month. This works really well for me when I stick to the calorie limit the rest of the time. I also never feel too deprived because every month usually has at least one special occasion.
  • miriamm4je
    miriamm4je Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can relate to this on so many levels, but please don't beat your self up about it. For me. It just gave me more reason to eat more and stuff.
    I stumbled upon a book that I've found had been helpful so far only because I was a little apprehensive of speaking to a therapist. However that's just me so you if feel that you are want to pursue that route then give it a go...
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Therapy can help. I could not afford it. So first I realized food can be an addiction. Next find the triggers. Sounds like emotional eating is one. To find the triggers journal each time you each. Write the time date and why you are eating. I got to where if I didn't like the reason I would not want to write it down and so I wouldn't eat it. Much easier to control impulse bites!! Log calories and journal your feelings this is all about changing you brain to see food as fuel not comfort. Find another way to comfort your self. Run a bath. Go for a walk/run. Color. Whatever to keep from eating! Food addiction is real and it is totally beatable!!! You got this!!