How to be strong & athletic

Options
knightmagic
knightmagic Posts: 100 Member
edited May 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice on body recomp and workouts. I am looking to be strong, agile, and flexible. Anyone have any great apps that have built in workouts to help me do those things. So far i've lost around 55 lbs in the last 9 months by tracking my calories and my protein macro (for the last 1.5 months i've maintained my weightloss). I like using apps because it feels like a game to me. I get in I follow a program until it's complete for the day and then rest as needed and continue the program. My previous goal was to be eating around 210g of protein per day. My carbs and fat macros didn't really matter to me as much as long as i stayed around my calorie goal of 2100. I'm a science kind of guy and really like using science to help me get to where I am going. Anyone have any tips, workouts, etc?

current stats:
267lbs
5'8"
lightly active

thank you all so much!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Instead of an app, would you do an online challenge? I'm participating in a May 30 day challenge where new workout videos are posted daily.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a solid general goal though is vague.

It would help if you define strong, agile, and flexible and what it means to you or specific goals. Such as I'd like to be able to do a tough mudder or I'd like to squat my body weight for 5 reps. Both of these need different types of strength, agility, and flexibility.

We all have our own interpretation and it would be helpful to know more details.
  • RoadRunner_10
    RoadRunner_10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Instead of an app, would you do an online challenge? I'm participating in a May 30 day challenge where new workout videos are posted daily.

Where can I find these challenges?
  • knightmagic
    knightmagic Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Sounds like a solid general goal though is vague.

It would help if you define strong, agile, and flexible and what it means to you or specific goals. Such as I'd like to be able to do a tough mudder or I'd like to squat my body weight for 5 reps. Both of these need different types of strength, agility, and flexibility.

We all have our own interpretation and it would be helpful to know more details.

I would say strong for life. play some sports with friends, if family need help moving i can keep up all day with no issues. those sort of things. I know i can squat my body weight 5x5 I was doing stronglifts 5x5 for about 7 months pre-covid. I enjoy stronglifts. stats from stronglifts:

bench 225pr
    squat 315 5x5
    deadlift 315 3x1
    OH press 135pr
    bent over row (pendalay rows) 225pr
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options

Where can I find these challenges?

YouTube. Some of the channels I subscribe to are doing challenges. The one I'm doing now is Sydney Cummings May 30 Day Challenge. She uploads a new workout every day at 5am EST. Most of the workouts are circuit or bootcamp style, using dumbbells or body weight, with a little cardio thrown in.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ‘Fit on’ app has tons of workouts and challenges, from strength, hiit, yoga, Pilates. It’s free, then you can opt to pay the premium. The challenges tell you which workouts to do, how many to do and how much time to complete them.
    Honestly, I didn’t particularly care for the workouts in the app, except the stretching. I always thought they were too fast and the instructors didn’t cue enough. But that may be what you’re looking for. At least you can try it for free see if it’s what you want.
    Since you mentioned agility, jump rope may help with that. I like the Crossrope app. I don’t think you have to buy the ropes to get the app, but they offer weighted ropes of varying sizes that are used in the challenges. Again, it’s free, but to unlock more workouts and challenges you have to pay the premium.
    I love this app. I love the challenges in this app. They’re meaty, meaning they kick butt. Body weight exercises are also intermixed in the challenges, such as squats and burpees, so you’re not just jumping. Although, there are some workouts where there is only jumping. You can work on increasing your speed with the ropes.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I liked the "New Rules of Lifting" book (I read the one for women).

Oh, someone mentioned YouTube, and it made me think that you might get some good advice from this guy's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24

He has a lot of "take it to the next level" and "improve your form without injury" type videos.