What is kcal?

Options
In my Day 1 making Hiit workouts at home I want to include this exercise in my MFP progress but I don't understand how to convert 304 kcal to burned calories.

Replies

• JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A kcal is what's generally referred to as a calorie. So if you burned 304kcal you burnt 304 calories. If thats what you mean?
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Americans refer to the unit of measurement as Calories (capitalized) and in some other countries, the same unit is called kilocalories. They are equal. One thousand calories (lower case) make up 1 Calorie or 1 kilocalorie. The reason we use the bigger unit is because it's a lot easier and a lot less math to do. So any time you see kcal, it just means what we call "Calories". Exactly the same.
  • suz19712020
    suz19712020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can you input kcal into the fitness app to become a goal with “steps?” Or is there some conversion I can do?
  • nogymhero
    nogymhero Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Can you input kcal into the fitness app to become a goal with “steps?” Or is there some conversion I can do?

Do you mean use kcals as a measure rather than the number of steps? You could get an estimate of kcals/step if you take your calories burned on two different days and dividing the difference in calories burned by the difference in steps. This would assume your counter is only counting burn for steps only and not using something like HR and other exercises.