Lockdown weight gain and I feel miserable

Options
My SW was 20st and it took me 2 years to get rid of it. I got down to my lowest weight in November to 12st 11lbs with a strict diet and gym routine. Since lockdown I have almost gained a stone and I’ve never felt more miserable in my life. I deal with a lot of mental health issues and the gym was a big outlet for me. My clothes don’t fit like they used to, I feel I have more body fat from not weight lifting and my diet isn’t that same. Thought I don’t eat a huge amount it’s mostly high carb food. I know everyone is struggling at the moment but I don’t know how to feel better. I’ve tried going for a run but it doesn’t feel the same. I’m really really scared I will balloon back up to 20st again. I’ve tried fasting apps but they don’t seem to work. I know 12lbs isn’t a be all end all but it’s the fear of it being the start by the time this is all over. I’m struggling to even get out of bed at this point. Anyone have any advice that would help?

Replies

• fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You start small. When life or things feel out of control and you’re trying to tread water just to get a breath... start small.

Find one positive thing you can change for tomorrow. Do that. Then pat yourself on the back and do one more good thing the next day.

A lot is different right now. My workout routine is out of whack, as in I am exercising 4-5 days a week still but it is in different places than where I’m used to. It’s weird ... but it will work. When the challenge is from something being different... just go out and do it. Don’t think about it.

Groups of friends have found great success with a checklist for every day. Even usual daily things are on there like “unload dishwasher”. Put a run on the list. Don’t over think it. Set out your clothes and find the playlist you want and just do it and check it off 👊🏼
  • minimiss669
    minimiss669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hear you, sister! It sounds like you are on a slippery slope and you're afraid of losing it completely. This is not an easy time and a lot has happened to throw off our routines and eating habits. I would say first to allow a little grace as you adjust. The more you panic, trying to lose weight in a drastic way, the worse your going feel like a failure. There is always an ebb and flow to weight loss, rather than a destination. You've done it before. You might have to find a different way to go about it, but you will figure it out. Take one day, one meal, one breath at a time. I know the fear of not knowing if I can get control. Who's going to win? The me who wants to look good, or the me who wants to keep eating. Find your limits, find your rules, find your danger zones, figure out your own plan and hold yourself accountable. I can tell myself no now, like I would tell a child who can't see what's best, no. Just no. It is a constant battle, some days it's easy and other days is really hard and there are the days that I fail. But not every day. So don't panic! You can find a way to adjust. It will take time. How are you doing today? Best of luck to you.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Today I started back to the old good habits I had for two years. This crisis has most of us gaining weight and feeling out of control and out of sorts. You can.. and will get your fitness rhythm back. I like how someone said things are weird now. Gosh they're weird. But, we can't come out of this with unhealthy bodies and a lot of weight gained. Let's pull ourselves together and do what we know we can. Let's stop watching the news and spend our time here.. talking fitness.. reaching daily nutrition goals and switching our focus to what we can control. You can do it!