Excerise calories

Options
karen2512
karen2512 Posts: 11 Member
Hi, total newbie so forgive the what may seem a daft question. I've synced my fitbit to my fitness pal and it's adding extra calories. Adding to my daily total. I'm assuming they ate there to be ate if I need them to be? So allowing myself a treat or something?

Thank you

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    karen2512 wrote: »
    Hi, total newbie so forgive the what may seem a daft question. I've synced my fitbit to my fitness pal and it's adding extra calories. Adding to my daily total. I'm assuming they ate there to be ate if I need them to be? So allowing myself a treat or something?

Thank you

Yes...you're getting an adjustment because your actual activity per your device exceeds the activity level you've selected in MFP. Just be wary of overestimates. I've been doing this for years so I have my exercise calories pretty locked in, but it takes some trial and error. Many people will use, say 50%...which is rather arbitrary, but a reasonably good starting point from which you can start making adjustments per your actual results.
  • karen2512
    Options
    Thank you. To be honest I am not needing to use them but just wondered just in case I fancied a glass ( bottle) of wine!! 🤣
  • karen2512
    Options
    I've actually unsynced my fitbit as the extra calories were there just crying out at me and I Could do without the temptation when I've been doing so well and the whole point was to loose weight
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I've actually unsynced my fitbit as the extra calories were there just crying out at me and I Could do without the temptation when I've been doing so well and the whole point was to loose weight
    MFP is designed for you to eat at least part of the exercise calories back. Personally I eat nearly all of mine and have lost at the expected rate (and at one point the Garmin entered calories for swimming were way low, likely because I suck at it so was expending WAY more energy than the average person for the number of laps I was doing, and I started to have some noticeable body reactions - intense hunger, heart palpitations, hair loss, dizziness, etc. My loss rate also increased by 50% from what I had been doing). If it’s a small amount you are probably OK, but be aware of your body and what it is doing. Faster weight loss might seem like a good plan in the moment, but there are possible repercussions.

• karen2512
    Options
    Thank you, I will look at a balance of both x
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will look at a balance of both x

So MFP came up with an amount it thinks you burn daily based on your selected activity level from 4 choices, and no exercise expected to be done.

And then based an eating goal on that. You trust that, it appears, whether you knew that or not.

Fitbit is reporting an amount it thinks you burned daily based on being on you, seeing your daily activity distance, and workouts, and is presenting to MFP around probably 1000 levels that MFP then creates a daily adjustment.

MFP then bases a new eating goal on that. You don't appear to trust that though.

Why the trust and distrust of MFP?
    Or trusting your selection of 4 levels over distrusting Fitbit?
  • karen2512
    Options
    It's not distrust, I just wasn't aware that is what happened. And my fitbit counts steps when I'm in the car and drying my hair so no I won't be consuming those "excerise" calories
  • karen2512
    Options
    I dont understand any of what you've just said

What ever happened to be kind.
    I asked a pretty generalised question and stated I was new to all this
  • karen2512
    Options
    OK so I can't see any graph on my fitbit app.

I literally use my fitbit for steps and my fitness pal for calorie counting
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    you could have a treat. Or you could have "regular" food. Chances are your body needs nutritious food more often than not. But a treat a few times a week is fine too. Go by how you feel. Everything in moderation.