Many the Miles: Week 2 [CLOSED GROUP]

Options
Good morning and happy Monday!
Congratulations to everyone for getting all your miles in so quickly! You guys rock! This week, I would like to challenge you to get a total of 10 miles before Sunday night. Remember, it doesn't matter how you do it or how fast you do it as long as you do it!

So I guess we're saying goodbye to Summer, huh? As we get ready to welcome Fall (yay!), I want you to look back and tell us what you learned this last season: what were your goals? did you accomplish them? what did you learn?

I actually started MFP the first day of summer. My goals were to keep up my running while training for my upcoming half marathon and lose some weight. In the last 8 weeks, I have lost about 7 pounds, which is more than MFP anticipated and I had some fantastic and strong. So overall, I had a really good summer! As far as learning, I have become way in tune with my body and I have learned to control my portions and only eat what I actually need!

Hopefully you all made significant progress towards your goals and challenge yourself even more this coming season. Also, keep coming back here for updates and for (almost) daily discussion questions and to tell any stories you wanna tell!

Happy walking!

Replies

• patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just went for a 1.5 mile walk, but I am sure that by the end of the day, I'll have in A LOT more miles (I do wear my pedometer all day, so I can track it. :)).
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This morning I walked 2 miles/ran 4. Gonna sign daughter and myself up for the **** Beardsley 5k next Saturday! Maybe next year I can start running some 10k races!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    patriot201- That's really smart to keep your pedometer on you all at times. Easiest way to keep track! :)

thamre- That's awesome about the 5k!! You are gonna ROCK IT! And I'm sure you could rock a 10k right now! You should look into doing one before Christmas. Maybe a Thanksgiving Day 10k?

I walked 1.5 miles today with my in-laws dogs. I went at a slower pace because my knee is bothering me a bit since I don't have good walking shoes. I'm just using my old running shoes and they already have over 500 miles on them. I should be replacing them soon since my running shoes will be due in about a month or so.

What about the question! Nobody has answered yet :P
  • sineadangele1
    sineadangele1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I walked 4 miles today with my fiance. We plan on walking four miles every day mon-fri. I've lost 20 lbs this summer. my goal is that by next summer I'll be 140 lbs. I was considered overweight by doctors and now I am only a few lbs under that line (i'm 165 and the line is at 169 for my height). I don't want to be close to that line AT ALL. This summer I've learned how to stop eating after I'm not hungry anymore even if there is still food on the plate. My mom raised me with a guilt complex about leaving food on my plate...

so my total so far for week two = 4 miles
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone! Happy Holiday! Woohoo a day off!

For our first week, wow we all rocked it! Great job everyone! I am so glad to be a part of this group. I SO needed motivation and accoutability! Trying to do this alone has, obviously, not been successful for me. Knowing that you are all out there kicking butt and taking names give me the drive to logg on, record my food, ALL my foods, and beating up the treadmill. Soon, when it stops being 110 degrees at 7 am , I can hit the road again. I love Arizona and, yes, even the summers, but it makes it difficult to run outside for 3 months. Goodbye summer, I will miss you.

Having only come to MPF what, 3 weeks ago, I can't really reflect as long as you all have/can, but I can honestly say that God sent me here for a reason. I am the infant here, but I have learned that I so need this site, and those of you that I have met here. I can't do this alone. I knew I needed help, but had NO desire to join the standard "group" meetings and such that is provided in the retail settings. Being one that is 90% vegan and working towards becomnig completely "raw", I knew that they would question my way and definately not have a "plan" for me. I started this way of eating last November, yes its been a slow process, one that my family has had issues with me trying to adopt, but for me it has so helpful. Since then, I have lost 13 pounds, (3 of which were on here, THANK YOU)

My goals are much, I assume, the same as most of yours. I am overweight, out of shape, not happy and fed up. I will be 50 in a few weeks and am bound that I won't live my next 50 as I did my first. I wanted to run a marathon before I turned 50, get a couple tatoos that I've always wanted and be thin again. Well, it won't happen BEFORE I am 50, but maybe before 50.5?

I look forward to the week ahead of us. 10 miles, yes, we can rock it out again. I know we can. We have each other for support. I will be hitting the treadmill today. Planning for 3 miles, but hoping for more. Need to do as you are thamre, go on line and start signing up for 5K's. Get me in the motivation of racing so that I can be ready for my 1/2 marathon in January
  • Leslye125
    Options

For our first week, wow we all rocked it! Great job everyone! I am so glad to be a part of this group. I SO needed motivation and accoutability! Trying to do this alone has, obviously, not been successful for me. Knowing that you are all out there kicking butt and taking names give me the drive to logg on, record my food, ALL my foods, and beating up the treadmill. Soon, when it stops being 110 degrees at 7 am , I can hit the road again. I love Arizona and, yes, even the summers, but it makes it difficult to run outside for 3 months. Goodbye summer, I will miss you.

Having only come to MPF what, 3 weeks ago, I can't really reflect as long as you all have/can, but I can honestly say that God sent me here for a reason. I am the infant here, but I have learned that I so need this site, and those of you that I have met here. I can't do this alone. I knew I needed help, but had NO desire to join the standard "group" meetings and such that is provided in the retail settings. Being one that is 90% vegan and working towards becomnig completely "raw", I knew that they would question my way and definately not have a "plan" for me. I started this way of eating last November, yes its been a slow process, one that my family has had issues with me trying to adopt, but for me it has so helpful. Since then, I have lost 13 pounds, (3 of which were on here, THANK YOU)

My goals are much, I assume, the same as most of yours. I am overweight, out of shape, not happy and fed up. I will be 50 in a few weeks and am bound that I won't live my next 50 as I did my first. I wanted to run a marathon before I turned 50, get a couple tatoos that I've always wanted and be thin again. Well, it won't happen BEFORE I am 50, but maybe before 50.5?

I look forward to the week ahead of us. 10 miles, yes, we can rock it out again. I know we can. We have each other for support. I will be hitting the treadmill today. Planning for 3 miles, but hoping for more. Need to do as you are thamre, go on line and start signing up for 5K's. Get me in the motivation of racing so that I can be ready for my 1/2 marathon in January
  • Leslye125
    Options

For our first week, wow we all rocked it! Great job everyone! I am so glad to be a part of this group. I SO needed the motivation and the accoutability! Trying to do this alone has, obviously, not been successful for me. Knowing that you are all out there kicking butt and taking names give me the drive to logg on, record my food, ALL my foods, and beating up the treadmill. Soon, when it stops being 110 degrees at 7 am , I can hit the road again. I love Arizona and, yes, even the summers, but it makes it difficult to run outside for 3 months. Goodbye summer, I will miss you.

Having only come to MFP, 3 weeks ago, I can't really reflect as long as you all can, but I can honestly say that God sent me here for a reason. I am the infant here, but I have learned that I so need this site, and those of you that I have met here. I can't do this alone. I knew I needed help, but had NO desire to join the standard "group" meetings and such that is provided in the retail settings. Being one that is 90% vegan and working towards becomnig completely "raw", I knew that they would question my way and definately not have a "plan" for me. I started this way of eating last November, yes its been a slow process, one that my family has had issues with me trying to adopt, but for me it has so helpful. Since then, I have lost 13 pounds, (3 of which were on here, THANK YOU). I know 10 lbs in 9 montha isn't a lot, but its been a new lifestyle change for me. I feel so much better, and know it will ultimately be best for ME.

My goals are much, I assume, the same as most of yours. I am overweight, out of shape, not happy and very fed up. I will be 50 in a few weeks and I am bound that I won't live my next 50 as I did my first. I wanted to run a marathon before I turned 50, get a couple tatoos that I've always wanted and be thin again. Well, it won't happen BEFORE I am 50, but maybe before 50.5? Maybe the tatoos for my b-day? huumm??

I look forward to the week ahead of us. 10 miles, yes, we can rock it out again. I know we can. We have each other for support. I will be hitting the treadmill today. Planning for 3 miles, but hoping for more. Need to do as you are thamre, go on line and start signing up for 5K's. Get me in the motivation of racing so that I can be ready for my 1/2 marathon in January.

May you all have a great day off. Get some sun and be revived for the new season ahead of us. Come on fall, you have 10 ladies that are taking you on!
  • Leslye125
    Options
    3.2 miles on treadmill
  • thamre
    Options
    good morning all! I have a crazy work schedule this week. I am working 11-12 hour days. Won't get much walking in - it will be getting dark by the time I get home. I do have a treadmill at home I might just attempt when I get home. I get bored so easily on them though. But, it is getting to be that time of the year I need to start liking them again :smile:
  • PBmaria
    Options
    I hope everyone in the U.S had a wonderful holiday. The rest of you...well, hopefully you had a wonderful Monday! :P

sineadangele1- 20lbs in one summer sounds AMAZING!! Keep it up! You are doing great and that's awesome that your fiance supports you and goes walking with you! Do you guys have a date for the big day?

Leslye125- Don't worry about accountability. Trust me, I WILL ask for progress reports and cheer you on. I know how important that stuff is.

thamre- Wow, rough schedule! And I hear you about treadmills...but it's a price to pay for 2 beautiful seasons! Would music or tv help? Or how about having your daughter talk to you while you walk?

mariawells: 1.5 miles
    sineadangele1: 4 miles
    thamre: 6 miles
    patriot201: 1.5 miles
    Leslye125: 3.2 miles

kbeach08:
    mariababe81:
    CharlotteintheUSA:
    defygravity531:
    fit_chica69:
  • sineadangele1
    Options
    Thanks mariawells!! And yes we do; its July 19th, 2013. We'd get married next summer but we're taking a trip to England so he can meet my family, and we can't afford both a wedding and traveling in one summer.
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

So I walked 3 miles Monday and I ran 1 mile today. It's raining like hell around here so I will probably get some walking in since I won't use my bike to go around.

About this summer. Well, summer is usually a very bad dieting time for me. I love ice cream, barbecues and rose wine way to much, even though I usually bike and walk more. Besides, since I was leaving my hometown, I had A LOT of friends and family reunions, as well as vacations at grand-ma, etc, etc. I still managed to lose about 15 pounds so that's not that bad. I also had a lot of time to workout. Now I'm back on a regular schedule with school but I also have a lot more to do. For the fall, I'll try to improve my speed in my 3 sports (bike, run, swim) and work on my strenght. I also try to be careful with food since I'll workout less. I would also LOVE to lose another 18 pounds before Christmas.
  • PBmaria
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! It's the mid-point of week 2 and I don't see a lot of activity. Let's step it up, ladies!! We got 10 miles to do!
    I know a lot of us have had a lot of rain (sorry, Leslye!) so it's harder to get moving. It's completely miserable here and it doesn't seem like it's gonna get any better until the weekend.
    >>>Does anyone here actually LIKE walking in the rain? I don't mind if it starts while I'm running, but it's difficult to get started when it's so damp out. Strangely enough, I'll go out RUNNING in the pouring rain. Walking? probably not.

Charlotte: I think 15 lbs with all the summer activities sounds AWESOME!! You did great and I think 18lbs by Christmas sounds reasonable and quite doable. How far are you from your GW?

mariawells: 1.5 miles
    sineadangele1: 4 miles
    thamre: 6 miles
    CharlotteintheUSA: 4 miles

kbeach08:
    mariababe81:
    defygravity531:
    fit_chica69:
  • thamre
    Options
    I managed to get in a run last night before the sun went down...2.5 miles.:glasses:
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have not been on here all. :sick: I have been sick the last few days. I too have been wearing my pedometer all day but this morning when I put it on I noticed it had messed up and reset. :sad: and I am not sure where I was. But I WILL get my ten miles in this week even with having to start over!!! Just means I have to work a little harder!! :happy:

my goals for summer was to be down to my goal weight. I am not there yet but really close. When I first started I told myself that 125lbs was a big thing (I haven't been that small since I was doing basic weight training in high school) and that if I make it to 135 I will be happy. I am sitting around 135 now... bringing me into what I have learned. I have learned that I can do it I just need to push myself that extra mile. :happy: I know that I am not pushing myself as hard as I could or should to lose that last 10lbs.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    wow! everyone is doing really really well!

im going to count my sunday miles in here as i didnt include them in my final on sat and i did loads on sunday 9k run and 2 mile walk! hope that is ok. Im also not logging them as exercise in my diary as they are messing up my cals! lol
    i have so far done 7.5miles (sunday)

monday: 1mile
    tuesday: 1.2 miles.
    wedL 0.5miles

I cant run as my ankles been playing up since monday night so i may not reach target, however im off to the zoo on saturday which will involve a lot of walking and have my 5 on sunday! and am hoping to be able to run friday! so here hoping!. i think i sprained it on monday at zumba.
  • sineadangele1
    Options
    its been raining all day here in b-more so i went to the gym i've been taking advantage of the good weather so i haven't been to the gym in over a month. I got my 4 miles in today tho!! so my total for the week so far is 8 miles.
  • PBmaria
    Options
    It's already Thursday. That's the beauty of long weekends :)
    Question: how do you guys keep track of your miles? pedometer, gps, map beforehand? I personally have a few loops around my neighborhood that I mapped in advace so I know how long they are but for the most part, I run with a smart phone and let runkeeper tell me the distace.

thamre- You are awesome! Fitting in a 2 miler in such a busy work schedule deserves major kudos. You are doing great, so keep it up!! Sign up for a half marathon already :P

kbeach08- I hope you feel better soon. I know what you mean about the last 10 lbs: they are tough!! But you are doing great so I have no doubt you'll get there sooner than you think!

mariababe81- We'll let you count Sunday's run just because you are hurt ;) lol. Now go take care of that ankle or you'll be off running for a while and we definitely don't want that. You'd probably still reach the goal anyway by going to the zoo and your planned 5 miler on Sunday.

sineadangele1- I really hope the rain stops soon because it really is getting out of control! Still, good job getting the miles in!

mariababe81: 10.2-DONE!

mariawells: 6 miles
    sineadangele1: 8 miles
    thamre: 8.5 miles
    CharlotteintheUSA: 4 miles

kbeach08:
    defygravity531:
    fit_chica69:
  • thamre
    Options

thamre- You are awesome! Fitting in a 2 miler in such a busy work schedule deserves major kudos. You are doing great, so keep it up!! Sign up for a half marathon already :P

thank you. yesterday was bad and not so sure I will get anything in today. I was too late to sign up on line for the Beardsley run, so will have to go in early that Saturday to register. By not pre-registering, it sets me up for not doing it at all. So, I will have to keep telling myself "I WILL DO THIS".

My daughter has her second cross country meet tonight. She always gets so nervous about them and always ends up doing so well. She just found out yesterday that she placed 3rd in last weeks race. She is awesome :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • sineadangele1
    Options
    4 miles today. I mixed running in with the walking today. so my total is now 12 miles.