Any folks losing weight who can't really get much exercise?

Just started back on MFP (5 days ago) after gaining 32 lbs. I have always loved walking for my exercise (especially in this beautiful spring weather here in New England!) However, I just found out yesterday that I'd have to wear a walking boot for 4-6 weeks because of an injured achilles tendon- no walking, bike riding, or staying on my feet for too long. I'm super bummed out but as they say, it can always be worse. So guess I'm wondering if any folks here have been able to lose weight without burning calories from exercise. In the past I walked 3-3.5 brisk miles several times a week which really helped me to lose, tone up, feel great, and get some much needed fresh air and sunshine. I also so did some bike riding. Now I don't think I'll be doing much for 1-2 months and then will still have to start slow. I'm 62 with hypothyroidism so the weight comes off slow. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and/or experience.

Replies

• Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    It's possible. I've done it... but for me it's a sluggish process. Way too many plateaus and less control over what I'm trying to accomplish.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    That’s how I lost weight when I first started out. Just focusing on diet, no exercise.

Exercise is important for health, but it’s not essential for weight loss. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight whether or not you are exercising.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Me. But you get to eat a lot more with.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I lost my 1st 100 lbs through diet alone so very much yes. Use the sedentary setting value for your loss rate and stick to that value. You might want to try maintenance for that time period, though, as your body is trying to heal that tendon and needs good nutrition to do so; eating at a deficit is stressful on the body, moreso the less you have to lose, as is healing injuries; giving your body the fuel it needs now could pay dividends in a quicker recovery time.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. Exercise is important for overall health. How you achieve a calorie deficit is up to you. Exercise can definitely help, but isn’t necessary. BTW, there is a lot of exercise you can do seated. Check out YouTube.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    I lost my 1st 100 lbs through diet alone so very much yes. Use the sedentary setting value for your loss rate and stick to that value. You might want to try maintenance for that time period, though, as your body is trying to heal that tendon and needs good nutrition to do so; eating at a deficit is stressful on the body, moreso the less you have to lose, as is healing injuries; giving your body the fuel it needs now could pay dividends in a quicker recovery time.

First 100? Wow! That is seriously amazing- how much more have you lost? I did set loss for sedentary and only .5 pounds a week so about 1500 calories. You make a good point in terms of nutrition needed for healing and not eating too little. I'd like to lose 45 pounds- I wouldn't be thin but not fat either; at 62 I don't need to be thin just healthy. I am eating very well (lots of fruits, veggies, fiber, whole grains etc.). Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
    Jan
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    I went from 225 to 212 without exercise. Now I'm 206-207.5
  • alabastermama
    alabastermama Posts: 45 Member
    Hi @Jancandoit7 !

Started back 3 months ago after losing 34 lbs and gained back all but 12. Have now lost 19.6 just counting calories. I don’t like exercise and walking is no fun anymore since torn meniscus repair 4 years ago and current have another tear(no surgery planned). With MFP app I’ve learned to log any activity that burns 100 calories or more for exercise. Making sure I have a calories deficit is the only real way I can keep losing. I’m a few weeks from 55 with a lot of weight to lose. So as long as this calorie counting/deficit is working that’s the road I’m taking. Good luck with your recovery.

Angela in Alabama
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

First 100? Wow! That is seriously amazing- how much more have you lost? I did set loss for sedentary and only .5 pounds a week so about 1500 calories. You make a good point in terms of nutrition needed for healing and not eating too little. I'd like to lose 45 pounds- I wouldn't be thin but not fat either; at 62 I don't need to be thin just healthy. I am eating very well (lots of fruits, veggies, fiber, whole grains etc.). Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
    Jan

I'm up to 131 lbs gone total. I started adding activity in in February and with the work from home thing right now, I have more time for more exercise, so I'm currently routinely getting in 2 hours worth a day, all low impact (I found out the hard way my knees won't tolerate anything beyond that), mostly walking and a 30 minute beginner cardio session 6 days a week. The calories added in each day due to activity have made a huge difference; I was starting to hit the bottom limit of what I could sustainably eat each day, so getting back those extra calories to boost my calorie limit up is a huge help to me!

Good luck with the tendon; I do hope it heals up for you soon!
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member

Jan

I'm up to 131 lbs gone total. I started adding activity in in February and with the work from home thing right now, I have more time for more exercise, so I'm currently routinely getting in 2 hours worth a day, all low impact (I found out the hard way my knees won't tolerate anything beyond that), mostly walking and a 30 minute beginner cardio session 6 days a week. The calories added in each day due to activity have made a huge difference; I was starting to hit the bottom limit of what I could sustainably eat each day, so getting back those extra calories to boost my calorie limit up is a huge help to me!

Good luck with the tendon; I do hope it heals up for you soon!

Thanks-I'm hoping I heal quickly too. You are an inspiration!
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Due to lower back issues and hip replacements, exercise is out of the picture for the moment. The only time I have lost weight in the past was with logging in everything I ate and walking daily. Can you still lose weight without much activity at all?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    You can lose weight with no activity at all - just eat less than you're burning.

Exercise is good for muscles and other health benefits, but it's not necessary for weight loss. From a weight perspective, the best thing I got from exercise was more calories to eat.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    As you have read and I can confirm that it is possible to lose weight through diet alone.

With that said if you are injured attempting to lose weight may prolong your recovery. I recommend going back through the MFP guided set-up and setting your goal to maintain your current weight. You can use the time healing to learn how to properly log your food and all the other things that will help you. There are "Most Helpful Posts" at the top of the forums full of useful information.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I lost about 60 of 100lbs with minimal intentional exercise. I walked my dog and sometimes went on a walk during my lunch break.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    There are exercises on youtube for incapacitated people; eg could you sit in a chair and do a routine of arm exercises? If your surgery is recent, please take care to eat enough though, you need a lot of nutrients for good healing.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    I'm barely getting 2000 steps in a day but as I'm only eating around 1200 calories, I'm dropping weight.
  • brngnitbck
    brngnitbck Posts: 1 Member
    I can relate to your situation. I was getting in decent shape then mid-January I broke my foot. While it is healing, I still cannot do anything but short walks and even then it starts to hurt.

There are many types of exercises you can do in place. Get some hand weights or resistance bands for your upper body. There is abdominal exercises you can do while sitting down. I made the mistake of giving up and not exercising at all then Covid lock down started and before I knew it, I was up ten pounds, which is a lot on a 5’2” frame.

Just don’t totally give up on exercise. Weight comes off much much faster even with just a moderate amount. Plus you get to eat more. I call it..”will sweat for food”. Good luck and believe in yourself.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2020
    Me! I lost 30 pounds last year just from calorie counting! No additional activity from my normal job! I’ve since gained back about 8 pounds and I am running but more to speed up the process. I honestly had no problems last year with just calorie monitoring, though! Running actually makes me hungrier and harder for me to control my eating! Good luck!