Measuring fruits

Options
When is comes to measuring banana’s and pomegranate i have noticed with the skin on it weights more than without the skin. Which is the best way to measure both banana and pomegranate ? Should i measure them with the skin on or without ?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Most USDA entries measure the edible portion.

If dealing with edible portion is too difficult, some online information geared to the hospitality industry and the military exists that could suggest % weight wasted when dealing with food items.

I believe that yellow banana is around 35% peal by weight going by memory
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    All the entries I've seen in the USDA database were for edible portion only.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this, I've been wondering myself for bananas. I have tried weighing mine but they seem far too high in calories. Next time I may try weighing it before and then the peel after and subtracting the peel weight, I do this with chicken on the bone so I guess it's the same principle.
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this, I've been wondering myself for bananas. I have tried weighing mine but they seem far too high in calories. Next time I may try weighing it before and then the peel after and subtracting the peel weight, I do this with chicken on the bone so I guess it's the same principle.

I'm confused by this... if you're going to eat the banana, cant you just take it out of the peel and weigh it? Why go through the hassle of weighing the peel?
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Lol okay.. I bring a mini scale with me haha.. I guess it never really occurred to me, plus.. I dont like fruit.. lol
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I weigh the whole fruit and log the whole weight. Any extra weight from cores and peels I use as room for error throughout the day.