Quarantine Blues

Options
l hate to admit it, but quarantine is really impacting my grit and ability to focus. While my workouts have intensified, my eating habits have greatly diminished. It's like I've relinquished control of my stomach to whatever mood I'm in. I pride myself on being tough, disciplined and impenetrable but work, family and life stressors have me in a complete funk. Still grateful for the sun and opportunity.

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    I'm fighting through it right now too, keep doing your best! I'm having pain issues with my legs, went from stair treadmill and machine/free weights and biking to YouTube HIIT strength training and yoga, now all I can do is seated arm cardio videos, arm weights, and stretching. I'm in a lot of pain so not sleeping much and want to eat everything in the house and sleep all day. I'm bored resting and elevating my legs all the time without improving, there's only so much TV, reading, and social media, I want to do stuff. Just started steroids so I'm hoping they help!

Can you do some meal prepping to help when you're not in the mood to focus on food? I prep breakfast or else I'd skip it in mornings plus make sure to have things like spring greens and bags of beans cooked for salads.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I think what you’re going through is so relatable. Our routines are completely disrupted, and this whole pandemic is really stressful. And, quite honestly, annoying. Don’t beat yourself up for not being at the top of your game right now.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So relatable!

Cut yourself some slack though. These are weird *kitten* times and it's okay to struggle through them. You'll get back on track. Dont rush it. You'll be great!💜
  • Skyle33
    Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Saaaame. The snowball effect of starting your day off productive is really what caused my initial quarantine collapse. I’m really either all or nothing when it comes to productivity, and my workouts can only do so much for me (strength wise) without a gym. I’m just sitting right and holding on to the fortune of muscle memory. In the meantime, I’ve been using this time to work on self care in the best ways mentally, spiritually, and even physically in other ways than usual. This is a time to come to terms with our position in life and potentially develop new insight on the direction we move following this trial. 🙏
  • minimiss669
    minimiss669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Skyle33 wrote: »
    Saaaame. The snowball effect of starting your day off productive is really what caused my initial quarantine collapse. I’m really either all or nothing when it comes to productivity, and my workouts can only do so much for me (strength wise) without a gym. I’m just sitting right and holding on to the fortune of muscle memory. In the meantime, I’ve been using this time to work on self care in the best ways mentally, spiritually, and even physically in other ways than usual. This is a time to come to terms with our position in life and potentially develop new insight on the direction we move following this trial. 🙏

Coming to terms with our position in life... yes, this is definitely a time of reflection and I think trial and error is all a part of adjusting and adapting to this new reality. Many people have come to the realization that something needs to be done about gaining because this situation is lasting longer than anticipated. Best of luck everyone. We are all doing our best to figure it out.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Right there with you.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I try not to watch the news..but saw a few minutes yesterday. Everyone they interviewed looked so sad ..their eyes were lifeless. We are all doing our best to feel grateful. We know it will end eventually..but we are stressed due to the uncertainty of it all. You're not alone my friend. Just keep trying to get your food inline with your workouts. Eventually it will kick in. :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You open to a different approach? I look for the easy road and take it whenever I find it.
    Can you get the cookies and donuts out of your environment? I find just say no a hard road to travel. No way around it, sometimes we just have to summon some determination. But it can run out and sometimes needs to be recharged.

Some things that have helped me- negative thinking. That’s right. Negative. About food I want to avoid. A donut is just a fried wad of goo. Take a good look at a deep frier next time you’re around one. They’re disgusting. I’m off donuts.

But I find cookies tough. I can go at cookies like they’re potato chips. So I’ve replaced them with ice cream. Yup. Ice cream. I’ve found I can eat about 125 calories in no sugar added ice cream and be satisfied. It’s about 7% of my total for the day. 125 calories in cookies seems like next to nothing. I just can’t eat cookies under control.

But this- if I give in to cookies or another indulgence- no ice cream. Ice cream wins out 99% of the time.

No telling if this kind of approach will work for you. But I had to find some other strategies besides staring down the unhelpful choices. When I was tired at the end of the day I just wasn’t making it. Slower progress is better than none.

Last thing- and this will work- keep trying. Weight loss is about problem solving. One way or another you can get past this. Maybe find a compromise. The best plan is one we will actually follow. Good luck.
  • hypersensitiveb1975
    hypersensitiveb1975 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yep that’s why I’m back too . All of this stuff has my anxiety at an all time high and I’m stress eating like crazy. Gained a good 20 lbs on top of the 20 I already gained back before. So here I go again...
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Last thing- and this will work- keep trying. Weight loss is about problem solving. One way or another you can get past this. Maybe find a compromise. The best plan is one we will actually follow. Good luck.

This is my perspective, also. I started off the shelter in place very strong, and actually dropped weight for the first few weeks. But it became more of a struggle as the semester wound down (I'm in grad school) and I allowed the stress of finals, the uncertainty around trying to find a field placement for the summer with all the opportunities falling through, and fears over our household income to set me back.

But since then I've been trying to find new ways of enforcing a deficit, like more frequent short cardio breaks throughout the day, changing up my fitness routine to keep things interesting, and drinking enough tea to float a boat to keep from snacking.

Oh, and I'm trying not to order two quarts of ice cream in our weekly dairy delivery anymore. But they just stocked lemon ice cream with blackberry swirl, sooo.... <3
  • valentina5780
    valentina5780 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hugs to everybody. I’ve never felt more depressed in my life. My whole plans are railroaded and my boyfriend is stuck in another country. I don’t even know when I’ll see him again and I don’t know if our relationship will survive.
    I’ve gained 30 lbs since the beginning of the year and I just started seeing a therapist last night.
    I’m also considering going on medication because of this depression.
    Anyway I managed to go for a brisk walk this evening.
    If anyone wants to talk feel free to add me. Love to all. 💕