Nothing makes sense :(

Options
Hi. This is my first complete week and I'm more confused.

Can someone please explain to me in baby steps as if you were explaining to a 10 year old.

I've read here that I must eat back my exercise calories, to my surprise my exercise calories this morning were over 780000 like huh? Is that even possible. *note they automatically updated via my connected fitness band.

I also don't understand why I'm given a daily calorie goal of 2460 yet told to eat between1200-1400 calories then receive feedback everyday that I'm "under calorie". I still eat calories within that range thou.

Please access my diary weekly & daily and help me understand coz I really need this to work and if I don't understand it its not gonna work :(

Thanks.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Obviously the 780000 is an error. Double check the time zones for your fitness band and MFP. See if the issues get resolved by midnight.

Did you re-run the guided setup today?

Until today you seem to have an eating target in the 2400's. As of tomorrow you're setup to eat 1400 which is less than the minimum for a guy. You are also getting a crazy number for your exercise adjustment. Your exercise adjustment is only explicitly coming up on 2 our of all your days.

I would re-re-re-run guided setup, ignore crazy numbers other than opening a support case and just see if tomorrow your numbers normalize.

I would be tempted to also fully disconnect and reconnect the tracker. (doing all this would pretty much ensure that today's numbers will be likely to be "off")

Even 1500 PLUS YOUR EXERCISE ADJUSTMENT, is probably quite aggressive. I wouldn't eat below that long term if accurately counting.

THAT SAID: I see a lot of times 100g or 100ml entries for things that are not terribly likely to be just 100g / ml for most people. And I see at least one peanut butter and syrup sandwich. And a fried chicken and veggies meal.

Unless you made entered the recipes based on the ingredients you used for your own portion, there are unlikely to be accurate other than as general guidelines.

One advantage of more exact logging is that... you can eat the maximum amount possible while still meeting your (reasonably defined and appropriate) goals! When you approximate you may end up feeling you need to leave larger margins for error. Which sometimes ends up being counterproductive.

Also note that a tablespoon is different for each person! grams... are not. TBH, I find grams to be easier for fluids too because a scale is easier than eyeballing measuring cups (taking into account that some fluids are not exactly 1ml to 1g)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have no idea what's going on with you - but there are a lot of Help articles.

Help is at the top of every page.

Here's the most relevant to the most people: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001951372-Using-the-App
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you have an error with units... is mfp set to kcal but your band set to j maybe?
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I agree with @VeryKatie it sounds like an unit error. Either your band could be set to joules, which would make the exercise calories 186 (a legit adjustment for a day without an intense workout), or... here's the thing. When we talk about calories, we actually mean KILOcalories. Nobody ever really talks about actual calories, they almost always refer to kilocalories when they say calories. If for some weird reason your band has calories instead of kilocalories as the unit, actual exercise (kilo)calories would be 780, which would be reasonable for an intense workout, like an hour-long run.
  • SiyaManqele
    SiyaManqele Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. Started my second week and things are slowly making sense. I've watched a few YouTube videos and read some articles via the links you shared.

I still haven't figured out how the error occurred but I'm doing another 1 hour run tomorrow morning and I'll see what happens afterwards.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Turn the calorie adjustment off. Just record what exercises as what you do.
  • SiyaManqele
    SiyaManqele Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Turn the calorie adjustment off. Just record what exercises as what you do.

How do I turn it off?