How to increase protein intake on a vegan diet WITHOUT a protein powder

Options
I've been vegan for 4 years now but haven't really focussed on macronutrient intake. I take my supplements etc. but without purchasing a protein powder, I'd like to increase my protein intake to help with muscle recovery and repair as I increase my activity levels. So what recommendations do you have for increasing protein intake on a vegan diet? Many thanks!

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    BCAA’s work for muscle recovery. I am almost positive they aren’t animal derived. Do you have any idea what your current protein intake is and where you would like it to be? Grains, legumes and beans probably offers good bit. And if your not already, there is a way to pair your proteins so you get all the amino acids.

I’m not vegan or vegetarian. I know there are some healthy athletes out there, body builders to elite runners that are vegan. Perhaps they have info.... this isn’t the guy I was thinking of, but he’ll do; https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a19544230/vegan-bodybuilder-diet/ best of luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    To what Jane says, unless you're committed to a strict definition of whole foods, I'd also consider adding things like chickpea "rice", edamame or black bean pasta, etc., as candidates. The flavor/texture of edamame and black bean pastas is generally different from wheat pasta (so I prefer them in pseudo-Asian as opposed to Italian-esque preparations, or the bigger black bean forms in soups/stews), but the chickpea is pretty close. They're around 2-3 times the protein content, per same-sized serving at similar calories, compared to wheat pasta.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You can also find higher protein versions of some foods out there like high protein tortillas and Barilla protein plus pasta. There are also plant based higher protein milks available.