Logging = Epiphanies edition

klove808
klove808 Posts: 346 Member
edited May 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Been logging for awhile now, even weighing things out to the T. I’ve noticed a couple things overlooked or just oblivious to before now....

* Oil in stirfrys : even a tiny amount = big calorie addition (I bet I always underestimated on this; trying to use less/none now)

* Sugar is !!! In everything.

* M&Ms: tiny little buggers are way too high in calories for the yumminess return!

* Maybe I need a degree to hit perfect macros daily!?

Easy to overlook/miss or just surprises: Got more ya’ll?...

Replies

• klove808
    Aha - That is a great alternative. Love almonds but don’t eat enuf. TA!
  • nogymhero
    nogymhero Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2020
    Logging is one of the best ways to maintain weight loss over the long run for the reasons you mention. It's surprising how much you can eat without even knowing it. Just be careful about hitting the macros from a psychological standpoint. There have been concerns raised that macro-based dieting can cause a form of eating disorder, don't be too strict and give yourself some wiggle room and you'll do fine.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    As far as macros go, another reason to not worry so much is that the database items themselves may not even be accurate.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    Oils were a big eye opener for me.
    Also sausages, specifically black pudding and white pudding. I love those but wow, so many calories.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Slices of bread, sliced deli cheese, my turkey bacon.....I have to weigh these because one slice is not actually what the package says. It is much more.
  • klove808
    @nogymhero interesting, I can see how it could become an obsession. thankfully work usually keeps from having enough time to be overly into it. Also it’ll get boring soon enuf. :)

@haswlrs. Proof that the weighing is imperative.

——

* how small items that you’ld most likely consider a single serving are actually 2+, really? So I actually just had twice+ what I thought? Sneaky! Fine print...

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    88% chocolove is amazing. The endangered species chocolate is like velvet. I’m satisfied with a much smaller amount vs something like m&m’s

Often throw water in a pan in lieu of some oil for that very reason ^^ (plus I think it’s 14g, not 15, per tbsp —since we’re paying attention to details :p)
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Logging just reminds me how much protein I’m not eating (triathlete, high carbs, fueling long workouts, etc). Even on my good days I feel like I’m failing a little.
  • klove808
    @goatg those ES chocolates are truly yummy - I get em when they are on sale only tho. I also found there srirulina carob seed nuggets (bulk) - odd but good. It’s really cool how dark chocolate and these curb the craving and you only need one piece and then done. -perhaps because there is less sugar. AND I’m right there on the protein too!

@wilson10102018 ! Yes ! The little things - they add up - especially the super tasty ones. Finding better replacements is a chore. Starting to eat out of my comfort zone w/ experimental Foods & combos. :)!

** sprouted grain bread is so much more balanced macros-wise than just regular bread. And it is much more filling and nutritious. Loving it!

• chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    These epiphanies are the training on which the success of calorie counting and logging is based. Forget about the big decisions. Concentrate on the small ones. We can only control the small stuff. Whether the salad has mayo based dressing or vinegar based dressing. Yea, the mayo will taste a little better but do we really want to log the 200 extra calories it brings.

Over and over we make these choices. We can eat whatever we want, but we have to log it in the end. Is it grapes vs. Doritos. Beef filet over salmon filet. Cola or fizzy water with lunch. After a while, different decisions come naturally. For me, its 609 days and 61 pounds lost. Feels just right.

Preach it! Lol
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    goatg wrote: »
    Logging just reminds me how much protein I’m not eating (triathlete, high carbs, fueling long workouts, etc). Even on my good days I feel like I’m failing a little.
    Your comment made me chuckle. Just getting into Tris and did my second virtual Sprint Tri this morning... earned lots of extra calories, but when I was looking over my daily graph out of curiosity it was pitiful how little protein I had eaten today! So two eggs before bed it was!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Mac and Cheese was my eye opener (GF if that makes any difference?). I ate a meager serving, logged it after the fact, then was mad because it wasn’t even all that good :lol: