Activity level MFP

Options
Hello, I’m new to my fitness pal and I’m not sure what activity level to put.

I have an office job however I walk 10,000 steps a day and workout 6 days a week for an hour (mostly weight training, some cardio e.g 5k runs).

Would this be considered lightly active?

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Mfp asks you your activity level before exercise so you don't include your workouts you add them later and earn extra calories to eat back so what is your activity outside of purposful exercise?
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Make sure to set your activity level at low or lightly active IF you log your exercise every day. Otherwise MFP will give you too many calories to consume for weight loss. Even when I log my exercise I try to NOT eat back all my calories (150 or 200 calories left over) so that I don’t slow progress until I reach my goal

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    steph6556 wrote: »
    Make sure to set your activity level at low or lightly active IF you log your exercise every day. Otherwise MFP will give you too many calories to consume for weight loss. Even when I log my exercise I try to NOT eat back all my calories (150 or 200 calories left over) so that I don’t slow progress until I reach my goal

Sorry but that's dreadful advice.

When using a calculator input the right data or you screw up the estimate the calculator is trying to give you.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This isn't accurate advice. If your general activity level, aside from intentional exercise, is genuinely more active, then that is the setting that you should choose even if you're logging your exercise. If you have an active job and set your activity level to sedentary, you're not going to get a calorie goal that supports your total activity (even if you are logging exercise and eating that back).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options

Yeah, you posted a similar but VERY different question in your thread here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10798934/calories-set-high#latest

The advice you got does not apply to this post which clearly states he/she is at an "Active" level with her/his daily 10,000 steps without even counting the workouts.

The "workouts" are above and beyond that activity, so he would log those workouts as "exercise" and eat more on those workout days.