High Protein Diet to aid weightloss

Options
Hi all :smile:

I've recently started upping my protein intake to hopefully aid my weight loss and help retain muscle. However, I've notice I've started going over on my fat intake since i've been upping my protein intake.

If I'm generally looking to aid weightloss and still within a deficit should this be something i should be concerned about?

just incase people ask I was over by 30g today, 8g yesterday, 21g on Sunday...

All help and suggestions appreciated, feel like i'm walking in the dark sometimes!

Thanks!

Vic

Replies

• makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I've recently started upping my protein intake to hopefully aid my weight loss and help retain muscle. However, I've notice I've started going over on my fat intake since i've been upping my protein intake.

If I'm generally looking to aid weightloss and still within a deficit should this be something i should be concerned about?

Vic

I am trying to up my protein, too. It’s been making maintaining a deficit easier since I feel more satisfied on less calories if I’m eating more protein. What kinds of high protein foods are you adding? I’d love any suggestions from anyone here on healthy high protein food choices. Thank you!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Pretty difficult to come up with something anyone wants to eat with more protein/calorie than shrimp. 1g protein = 4.1 calories.
  • missyelainious
    missyelainious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is surprisingly great, or any lean, white fish. I’m also experimenting with protein powder. My friend recommended Bluebonnet, arrives today, we’ll see!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

Vic

I am trying to up my protein, too. It’s been making maintaining a deficit easier since I feel more satisfied on less calories if I’m eating more protein. What kinds of high protein foods are you adding? I’d love any suggestions from anyone here on healthy high protein food choices. Thank you!

Whatever food it is, it's probably in the spreadsheet this thread links to:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

The spreadsheet has many, many foods listed in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Find stuff high on the list that you like, eat more of it. :)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Tilapia has about 1 gram of protein per 5.5 calories. Not as good as shrimp but still a good source.
  • hexxennacht
    hexxennacht Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I believe protein is important for weight loss not in that it makes you lose weight quicker, but that it’s very satiating and will help you stay on track. It will also keep you feeling good and healthy.

You’re much more likely to stay on track if you feel good and are satisfied hunger wise vs starving, weak and shivering.

So so definitely pay attention to your protein and your macros. They won’t *make* you lose weight but they’ll definitely help.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    lots of people lose a lot of weight on a high protein/high-fat diet. That's the entire low-carb idea. just make sure your calories are below the goal and don't worry if a macro turns red.
  • cmcollard
    cmcollard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I set a protein minimum goal and calorie maximum goal for myself and let the fats and carbs fluctuate. Protein is more satiating and it will keep you from overeating calories. Seems to be working for me.

My go-to folds for upping protein are jerky, protein shakes, protein bars, cottage cheese, chicken breast/thighs, eggs, Greek yogurt.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Tilapia has about 1 gram of protein per 5.5 calories. Not as good as shrimp but still a good source.

But it's not tasty (kind of tasteless and ick, IMO) compared to numerous other fish, so no thanks. I'd rather have, say, trout or wild salmon (or cod or halibut), among many others, and the fat in fatty fish (like salmon) is quite positively healthful too.

I will agree with you about shrimp being great.

Back to the topic, people have shockingly different ideas about what protein percentage is high. I did around 30% for a while and some considered that high, but I think that's silly. 50%, yeah, high. I've never really found protein percentage relevant to my difficulties in not sticking to cals, although it was a theory I tried for a while (I found my higher (30%+) way of eating did not lead to hunger, but neither did other ways of eating when some other things were similar).
  • sarasmith32
    sarasmith32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Increase protein, but dont increase fat.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you go over in fat , just take the cals out of your carbs - the starchy carbs - bread, pasta etc. keep the veggies and fruits
  • makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Vic

Whatever food it is, it's probably in the spreadsheet this thread links to:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

The spreadsheet has many, many foods listed in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Find stuff high on the list that you like, eat more of it. :)

Thank you so much for this!!! Love all the other ideas and recommendations, too. Thanks everyone!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My go tos for higher protein/lower fat are usually nonfat Greek yogurt, chicken breast, and protein powder.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

But it's not tasty (kind of tasteless and ick, IMO) compared to numerous other fish, so no thanks. I'd rather have, say, trout or wild salmon (or cod or halibut), among many others, and the fat in fatty fish (like salmon) is quite positively healthful too.

I will agree with you about shrimp being great.

Back to the topic, people have shockingly different ideas about what protein percentage is high. I did around 30% for a while and some considered that high, but I think that's silly. 50%, yeah, high. I've never really found protein percentage relevant to my difficulties in not sticking to cals, although it was a theory I tried for a while (I found my higher (30%+) way of eating did not lead to hunger, but neither did other ways of eating when some other things were similar).

See for me right now 30% would be around 240g. I weigh 135lbs. So yes that would be silly :p it depends on your intake of course so I typically don't use %. I think being around 0.6g per lb goal weight minimum is pretty good to start, I would aim for min 0.8-1g per lb goal weight especially if muscle retention/building is a consideration in particular as one gets leaner.

Oh, agreed. I was speaking for the numbers when I was doing 30% specifically, not claiming it wouldn't be high for anyone. Personally, I can only do around 30% when at low cals. When I started I was doing the 1200 thing, so it was only 90 g-120 g (depending on exercise) most days, and on bigger exercise days I didn't really worry about the macros of my extra cals. I eventually switched to TDEE method at about 1600, and at that point I stopped focusing on percentages and just aimed for at least 100 g (based on that formula -- 125 x .8).

At maintenance I don't do anywhere close to 30%, although again I focus on the formula number (and a range of .6-.8 if not at a deficit, although when I am eating meat I tend to be at the high end of that or above anyway).