1500 calories a day is too much

Options
My aim is to loose weight and so far I'm moving in the right direction by eating less calories however I'm told here that for a male I must have at least 1500 calories a day. This is too much for me to meet because I get full quickly and before you say I might not be measuring my food correctly trust me I am. 1500 cal is just too much and I end up stuffing my face with food I don't need just for the sake of reaching 1500. I worry that trying to meet this amount of calories a day will end up causing me to gain weight instead.

I weigh 75kg, 167cm tall and 30 years old. I've reset my calorie goal to 1200 a day and I hope I'll be fine. 1500 is honestly a stretch and I don't even have enough meal ideas to eat that much a day.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging everything that you eat?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

I reiterate this. Are you using a food scale? If not, you may be eating closer to 1500 than you think.

How fast are you losing weight?
  • SiyaManqele
    SiyaManqele Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Yes I am.
  • SiyaManqele
    Options

I reiterate this. Are you using a food scale? If not, you may be eating closer to 1500 than you think.

I haven't been using a food scale. I've been loosing more than 0.5km a week which is my goal and I've lost a total of 3kg to date.
  • SiyaManqele
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    1500 calories per day is nothing...You didn't get to the point of needing to lose weight by not being able to eat a measly 1500 calories...it's literally nothing.

1200 calories for an adult male will not be fine...my 10 year old eats more than that. The average adult male needs around 1700-1800 calories just for being alive.

Before joining MFP I've been eating once a day, supper only (I'm embarrassed to say this). I also drank beer almost every night and a couple more beers and junk over the weekend. I'd balance my bad lifestyle by hitting the gym 5 days a week intensive training.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I haven't been using a food scale. I've been loosing more than 0.5km a week which is my goal and I've lost a total of 3kg to date.

If you're losing 0.5kg a week, I would think you're fine (probably underestimating your calorie intake).

How long in total did it take to lose the 3kg?

How much weight do you want to lose total?
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? If you try to eat 1500 worth of vegetable,high fiber grain, lean meat, the volume of food might make you feel stuffed. All the fiber take longer to digest which might make you feeling bloated also. Try eating 1500 but add more fat to see how you feel.
  • SiyaManqele
    Options
    If you can't physically eat 1,500, how did you wind up being in a situation where you have excess weight to lose? Have you made major changes to your diet?

Please refer to my reply to @cwolfman13
  • SiyaManqele
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I'm the same height and age as you. Im eating 1500 and losing just fine. I'm also a woman with less.muscle mass. Yes you need 1500 a day. Unless you want your body to eat away at your muscles including your heart to lose weight.

Also you are already in a normal BMI meaning you should aim to lose 0.25 kg a week, not over 0.5 kg.

OH no of course I don't want that. I always thought in order to loose weight I need to eat little. Being new on MFP and being on a plan for the very 1st time is teaching me a lot.
  • SiyaManqele
    Options
    before you say I might not be measuring my food correctly trust me I am.
    followed by "I haven't been using a food scale."

You're very likely eating more than you think. Buy a food scale that measures down to grams, weigh and log your food (everything) accurately, and get back to us.

I'm definitely getting a food scale but what puzzles me is how am I loosing weight if I'm eating more than I think. My issue is that I get full very quick. Remember I used to eat once a day now I'm forced to eat 3 times plus 2 snacks which is new to me. The weight I want to loose is from my bad eating when I do eventually eat something and also from drinking too much beers.
  • SiyaManqele
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Let's do some math. I think it'll put your mind at ease.

TDEECalculator.net, which is quite accurate for most people, says the maintenance, "break even" caloric level for a sedentary 30 yr old male, 5'6", 165 lbs, is ... 1980 calories per day. If you are losing 1.1 lbs per week, that's a deficit of 550 calories per day. Therefore, you are eating 1430 calories per day on average, not 1200. Which makes sense tbh - most people who aren't drilling down with a to-the-gram food scale underestimate their cals by around that amount.

So what you should get out of this is, you're eating right around the 1,500 cals, and you're losing the weight you want to lose, so ... it's all good. No need to be concerned.

Thanks that makes sense.