How to count Sushi?

Options
Deadberri
Deadberri Posts: 38 Member
I couldn't find my local restaurant in the selection for inputing foods. I tried to choose the closest one at 36 calories a piece. Have you all had any luck on inputing sushi? Or should I enter the ingredients manually?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I usually find the type of roll that I'm eating in the database and log that.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I just look for something similar at a different restaurant and log that instead. I donโ€™t eat out often enough for the potential inaccuracies to really matter.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What they said. I look for a moderately high calorie amount that closely matches what I have eaten.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    AFC is who makes out sushi at work and I find their counts pretty accurate
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,938 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Yeah sushi is hard. I usually try to find a similar one in the database and pick the highest calorie version from the list. Sometimes I check websites from other sushi restaurants in my area to see if they have the info. Like bento sushi...
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you google "sushi nutrition" a lot of good information is out there.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    USDA also has some entries.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Take eel nigiri for example. I "discovered" it on New Year's Eve and fell in love. I then had to try every (reputable and well-received) place in my city that made it.

It doesn't take long to realize that a serving is different everywhere: some places give you a large piece of eel with crispy skin drizzling with fatty juices perched precariously atop a few grains of rice ๐Ÿ˜ while others serve what looks like a sliver of a sardine plopped on 2 tbsp of sticky rice ๐Ÿ˜”

But the law of averages prevails here. As most folks have already mentioned, take a large(r) calorie count as opposed to a smaller one. And use the same MFP database entry each time.

Same logic goes for any cuisine you haven't made yourself.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Sushi is always more calories than you think :( I usually only have sashimi, nigiri and maki, sometimes 4 california roll pieces, all raw and without mayonnaise. It's still a lot of calories