cutting meats off diet?

Options
Is it a good idea? Will I still get all my nutrients when doing so?

I haven't eaten meat in a few days and I like it, when I go to bed I don't feel like there's a lump in my stomach AND I can (excuse me) crap easier. I thinking cutting most of it except for days I eat out, like as a treat (which is only 1-2 times a week).

Replies

• MyLittleSonshine
    MyLittleSonshine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat meats too but you do need to make sure you get protein from other things (I eat a lot of beans....I LOVE making and eating black bean burgers! and lentil sloppy joes!) or adding a protein shake...I'm not a vegan or anything although I've contemplated it...especially after reading the veganist and the kind diet....
  • hefler
    Options
    I gave up eating meat on Jan 1st and I have to tell you I feel amazing!!! You really do need to feel open to trying new things :) For example I love beans which is something I never ate before. There are so many amazing veggie cook books out there it like a whole new world. Haha Just have fun with it and make sure you don't just fill up on too many carbs.

Best of Luck :)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    if you eat the right meat it can greatly help your diet
  • MyLittleSonshine
    MyLittleSonshine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    and meat stays in the body a LOT longer which is why ppl feel so full from it...and since it has almost no fiber it moves incredibly slow through your system....so when you eat less meat and more plant based foods your system handles it better and is healthier for it :)
  • IAmTheAwesomest
    Options
    Well I think I'd keep seafood and my turkey bacon in there. I make baked fish and mussel a few times a week and they are awesome!
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I dont tend to eat much meat (unless I go out for food) I got food poisening a while back and dont cmpletly trust myself cooking it anymore, I eat a lot of the meat subsitutes like quorn and its really good, quite good for you too!
  • sharonus
    Options
    Lot of people are vegetarian or vegan, of course. While I'm vegetarian, I do it for ethical and environmental reasons, not health. It's pretty easy to be a vegetarian and still eat poorly. You can get protein from tofu, beans, eggs, whole grains, and nuts. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables to make sure you're getting the vitamins you need, and you might want to add iron to the nutrients you track in your diary if you have any history of anemia.

It's been 20 years, but I know what you mean about the feeling of having a lump in my stomach after eating meat. Drinking lots of water also helps me with making sure things move, if you know what I mean.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but like to consider myself an honorary one, even more so now. I will eat grilled chicken if it's prepared for me, but I don't make it myself because I think it's kind of disgusting. I've been working on getting my protein from other sources. I eat a lot of Boca/Morning Star veggie burgers, which I actually find really delicious. Also, you can get a lot of protein from greek yogurt, soy products (soymilk, etc), tofu, etc. I've started eating protein enriched bars as well to get it all in.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I eat met MAYBE once a week. And it's almost always chicken. Just make sure you're getting your protein in other ways. I feel great, and I am getting everything I need nutritionally. You'll be fine.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Do a search for vegetarian. You will be overloaded with info.
    Great news, you can still be mostly vegetarian and still eat seafood. (Perscaterian)
    not sure what you call someone who eats tukrey too.. Omnivore?.
  • GreenThyme
    Options
    I don't eat meat and add beans or Textured Vegetable Protein ("TVP") to meals if I find I am running low on protein for the day.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is definitely good for the body. . and if you want meat a few times a week. . then I would say go organic. . . I currently only eat fish if I am going to eat meat. .

Pescatarian. . And yes. . I understand what you mean about your body processing it easier. . .There is a lot of information as someone else stated on vegetarianism online. . There are also a number of vegetarians and vegans on this site. . So if you use the search function on MFP and type either one of those in. . you should find some info. . Good luck hon.:bigsmile:
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I found that cutting down on meat rather than cutting it out completely worked better for me, I suppose it's up to you though :) As long as you're making sure you're getting the things you need elsewhere I don't think it's a bad thing :)
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I eat about a 70% vegetarian diet at the moment, with plans to eventually switch over to a 90% vegan diet.

It shouldn't be hard to get all of the nutrients you need by cutting out most meat from your diet. As long as you don't fill up on junk food or processed food, and instead go for more plants, beans, nuts, seeds, and whole grains, you should be fine. One thing I worry about is B12. This is something that comes from the soil in the plants that we used to be able to get from just plants. Now that we clean off our produce so much, we no longer really get B12 this way. The only reason why meat is now a source of B12 is because the animals eat those plants, including some of the soil. But, there are a lot of non-dairy B12 fortified "milks" out there-- almond, coconut, and soy are usually the ones fortified with B12.

The other things that people say you should worry about, like iron and calcium, really are myths. I get plenty of both. In fact, I tend to go over the minimum daily value recommendation of these, even on my vegan days. Protein is personally difficult for me because I don't really eat tofu, tempeh, seitan, or a whole lot of fake meat products made with soy. I am going to try adding a vegan protein powder to help with this though. Since you're still going to include meat, and it sounds like you're still going to eat dairy, I think you should be fine with this.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • hightopps
    Options
    Do a search for vegetarian. You will be overloaded with info.
    Great news, you can still be mostly vegetarian and still eat seafood. (Perscaterian)
    not sure what you call someone who eats tukrey too.. Omnivore?.

Someone who eats turkey is called a poultritarian.

After going vegan (no fish, no meat, no eggs, no dairy, nada), I lost over 100 lbs because I was paying attention to what I was eating. While I still have 35lbs or so to go, I've never been healthier with a meat-free diet. If going meat-free is something you're interested in, you can totally do it. :]
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am not anti-meat but you can definitely find other sources of protein, lentils, legumes, nuts, etc etc ad nauseum (sp)
  • sharonus
    Options
    The other things that people say you should worry about, like iron and calcium, really are myths. I get plenty of both. In fact, I tend to go over the minimum daily value recommendation of these, even on my vegan days.

Like anything, that depends of the person. I'm a vegetarian and it's not a myth for me that I need to make sure I'm getting enough iron in my diet. If I don't, I become very sleepy and that makes it difficult to function. It doesn't hurt to keep track of those things to make sure it's not an issue in your diet.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The other things that people say you should worry about, like iron and calcium, really are myths. I get plenty of both. In fact, I tend to go over the minimum daily value recommendation of these, even on my vegan days.

Like anything, that depends of the person. I'm a vegetarian and it's not a myth for me that I need to make sure I'm getting enough iron in my diet. If I don't, I become very sleepy and that makes it difficult to function. It doesn't hurt to keep track of those things to make sure it's not an issue in your diet.

True, but I think it depends more on the diet than the person. Junk food vegans and vegetarians would likely not get enough iron or calcium. So of course it doesn't hurt to keep track, but I meant that as a vegetarian or vegan, it is quite easy to get enough of these nutrients if you're eating a whole-foods, plant-based diet, and if you're consuming enough calories. Obviously, if someone is worried about it, there are supplements out there.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Is it a good idea? Will I still get all my nutrients when doing so?

I haven't eaten meat in a few days and I like it, when I go to bed I don't feel like there's a lump in my stomach AND I can (excuse me) crap easier. I thinking cutting most of it except for days I eat out, like as a treat (which is only 1-2 times a week).

If you completely cut out all meats in your diet and decide to go with a strict vegetarian diet (vegan), then you might have to make a conscious effort to get enough Vtamin B12. I don't like taking vitamins, so my suggestion would be to drink fortified soymilk. A very well balanced vegetarian eating plan will be rich in calcium and have sufficient iron that come from green veggies and beans.
    Junk food vegans and vegetarians would likely not get enough iron or calcium.

Sadly, I see too many of these here on MFP.
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and feel that you can get enough protein from plant based foods. Check out my blog for recipe ideas. They are not my recipes but recipes I tried and LOVED.