Why am I losing so slow?

Options
I’m following a 1200 daily calories. I have been exercising twice a day. I don’t add the workout calories to what I eat. I have been diligently logging everything that goes in my mouth. I’ve only lost 3 pounds in six weeks. I lost 28 pounds from January to March before I started the app. I’m eating less then before and was only working out once a day then. Any ideas as to why? My starting weight in January was 205 now at 174 with goal of 140 or less.

Replies

• hicolleen723
    hicolleen723 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank You all. I saw Dr. Now on my 600 pound life and He always suggests 1200 cal a day. Before I just kept a calorie count in my head. I will start including my exercise calories back in and weigh everything more carefully.
  • niki012020
    niki012020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there I’m doing the 800 calorie a day diet by dr Mosley. I’m worried now as you guys are saying 1200 calories should be the minimum
  • friedpet
    friedpet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bt30uoizxw8f.png
    I've seen this posted fairly frequently here. Do you have any links or information about where this advice comes from? I'd like to see the research behind it.
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Use a TDEE calculator and work from there. You will likely be shocked at the calories you burn daily. https://tdeecalculator.net/
    Great job on your success to date.
    Don't do a knee jerk adjustment. Do some reading on those that do eat calories back...and those that don't. Consider your eating habits and adjust for your lifestyle. Are you drinking enough water? Do you get enough sleep? Are you doing high impact cardio - or are you doing interval training? Perhaps you are eating too late, or eating the wrong things?
    I'm just saying...don't give up on what has worked for you...
    Just adjust...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    niki012020 wrote: »
    Hi there I’m doing the 800 calorie a day diet by dr Mosley. I’m worried now as you guys are saying 1200 calories should be the minimum

Sometimes people can get away with eating very low calories for a very short period of time, especially if starting out substantially obese, and it's true that some studies have shown it to be helpful for some people (with like a 2-week-only duration, BTW). But under-nutrition is a health risk, and the longer a person does it, the riskier it gets. If there are bad effects, they don't necessarily show up right away. (Hair loss, for example, often happens weeks later . . . and that's one of the minor possible bad effects from serious over-restriction.)

The bigger issue, IMO, is what Novus is saying.

Losing any meaningful amount of weight is a long-term proposition. IMO, that puts a premium on finding a process that can be continued for weeks, months, maybe even years, without extreme stress or discomfort or inconvenience. Like Novus said: Sustainability.

For sure, it would be a Really Bad Plan for someone not under close medical supervision to be eating that little on a sustained longer-term basis.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thank You all. I saw Dr. Now on my 600 pound life and He always suggests 1200 cal a day. Before I just kept a calorie count in my head. I will start including my exercise calories back in and weigh everything more carefully.

To OP:

They're all over 600 lb, are trying to make a surgical deadline, and their lives are in danger. They need to lose fast, and they're medically supervised.