Keto coffee

Options
Has anyone tried Keto coffee? Are there any benefits? Does it help with cravings, or burn fat.. or is this just all hype.

Replies

• CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eat your calories rather than drink them. I use almond milk in coffee. It's lower cal than milk or cream.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I was intrigued by the concept of "bullet proof coffee" so tried it.

In general, I'm not particularly satiated by fat alone, and this was no exception.

I decreased the fat quite a bit, and added chocolate protein powder and foods for fiber, and that I find very filling, and for under 300 calories.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    In that I like my coffee black, the concept of adding in the amount of cals in a medium-sized breakfast (which for me would include protein and vegetables) and getting few nutrients for those cals was a non-starter, especially since like @kshama2001, I am not normally sated for long by just fat.

Having just black coffee in the morning and eating later, or having something like coffee with a veg and feta omelet (for fewer cals) or a smoothie with lots of veg and nutrients, plus some healthy sources of fat (like avocado and/or nuts or seeds), and some berries, plus some kind of protein source (lately tofu or white beans or greek yogurt) just works better for me. The smoothie is higher cal than the omelet (450 or so), but covers a ridiculous percentage of my overall nutrients based on logging at Cron, depending on the specific ingredients. Plus it takes me all morning to drink.

That said, if you like the coffee more than another breakfast and it sates you until whatever your planned next meal is, and you still get in your goal nutrients and hit your cals, no problem with that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    In that I like my coffee black, the concept of adding in the amount of cals in a medium-sized breakfast (which for me would include protein and vegetables) and getting few nutrients for those cals was a non-starter, especially since like @kshama2001, I am not normally sated for long by just fat.

Having just black coffee in the morning and eating later, or having something like coffee with a veg and feta omelet (for fewer cals) or a smoothie with lots of veg and nutrients, plus some healthy sources of fat (like avocado and/or nuts or seeds), and some berries, plus some kind of protein source (lately tofu or white beans or greek yogurt) just works better for me. The smoothie is higher cal than the omelet (450 or so), but covers a ridiculous percentage of my overall nutrients based on logging at Cron, depending on the specific ingredients. Plus it takes me all morning to drink.

That said, if you like the coffee more than another breakfast and it sates you until whatever your planned next meal is, and you still get in your goal nutrients and hit your cals, no problem with that.

Today, I finally have warm weather and veggies in my garden for my fruit and veggie smoothie, and will be making that for the first time this year. Mine is about 400 cal.

(The coffee smoothie I mentioned above can be for warm or cold weather.)
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Keto coffee are for people who follow keto diet, it is a easy way to add fat to reach fat target, it does help provide energy when you are keto adapted. Drinking bullet proof coffee when you still eat otherwise a standard american diet with high carb is a fad.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jjkh5970 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Keto coffee? Are there any benefits? Does it help with cravings, or burn fat.. or is this just all hype.

I like the taste occasionally but when i am cutting, i am not adding 200-300 calories in fat for no reason. I rather put that into a protein rich meal.
  • jjkh5970
    jjkh5970 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Sounds like regular coffee for me!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jjkh5970 wrote: »
    Thanks! Sounds like regular coffee for me!

If you want try it as a dessert one time. I will say it certainly filled up my wife when she drank it. I used heavy cream and Kerry Gold