Keto help

CryingBlue
CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
I've been on keto for a little over a week now, I have done it for an extended time in the past. Anyways I'm struggling with nausea and high heart rate. Some days I feel awesome, today not so much. My heart will cruise over 100 when I'm sitting and resting. I take extra salt, nu-salt and magnesium most days.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Sounds like you need medical help.
  • CryingBlue
    harper16 wrote: »

Really? I think they would laugh me out of the place showing up with a heart rate of 100.
  • dhampir_princess
    dhampir_princess Posts: 71 Member
    I would recommend checking out the keto subreddit for a little more in depth help.

Just from one keto newbie to another, it may still be keto flu you're experiencing if you aren't getting enough of the salt/nusalt/Mg that you supplement. The amounts I've seen recommended for keto are 5000mg of sodium, 1000-3500mg potassium, and 250-500mg of magnesium. And that has to be spread out over the day, not just taken all in one go.

If nothing helps or if it gets worse I'd still say maybe think about seeing a doctor.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    CryingBlue wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »

Really? I think they would laugh me out of the place showing up with a heart rate of 100.

100bpm is right at the top end of "normal range" and earlier you said you exceed that.

If 100bpm is close to normal for you and with no other symptoms you probably wouldn't cause much concern.
    (With a sub-50 RHR is would be a huge concern for me!)

But it doesn't sound like it is normal for you and you do have other symptoms.
  • CryingBlue
    So I'm now thinking my fitbit is on the fritz. I have been feeling better and my Fitbit is reading anywhere from 60 bpm to 120 bpm. I have checked my heart on other devices and its reading nearly 20bmp different. It's also saying I have only taken 600 steps and its noon. I know that's not right. Ugh! I didn't want to spend money on a new one.
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    mydogisthebestdogever Posts: 703 Member
    I am on my 4th day of Keto and this is the first day I haven't felt nauseous. I think possibly our bodies are just confused right now and revolting a bit because of the big changes going on.
  • hoffmama28
    hoffmama28 Posts: 1 Member
    Y'all are tougher than me. I only lasted 3 miserable days on keto. The constant nausea was too much. I ended up projectile vomiting all over my room, and that was the end of keto.
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Just finished week 3 of keto
    I have tried before & gave up on day 3 or 4. The first two weeks were hard and then last week was easier. I think I had the keto flu as I felt really bad , increased heart rate, nausea- the works bit now I feel a whole lot better . The keto section on here was very helpful
    Good luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    How many calories are you consuming? Are you salting all your foods? How many grams of carbs? How much water are you consuming? What kind of food are you eating?
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,868 Member
    I just restarted keto on 6/9/2020 and I feel great ..... wishing you the very best :) Feel free to add me if you would like
  • Panys_mom
    Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
    When I started keto I felt sick and had to adjust my exercise routine due to lack of carbs in my case. I have constant high blood pressure, no meds, just as the doc says, "keeping an eye on it. "

After about two weeks my body fell back into routine. No more keto flu.