Calories in vs. Calories out??

Options
Hi guys!
I've always thought that "a calories was a calorie" but, the longer I live the more I start breaking this belief. I mean, before I moved in with my husband things were SO DIFFERENT for me, weight wise.
It was easy for me to control what I ate. I know my weaknesses... I have a sweet tooth as well as love to eat chips. So what I did I do when I lived alone? Didn't buy sweets and chips. Period. I mainly ate whole foods back then with the exception of veggie burgers.

But now...

My husband eats everything and, besides eating whatever he wants, he doesn't really care for sweets. He can literally eat 1 bar of KitKat and put the rest in the pantry. I am not exaggerating! And he buys all different types of chips because he likes eating some of it with his lunch. (Me, on the other hand, have to eat the entire bag of chips to feel satisfied).

So what have I been doing for the last 1.5 years? Strictly counting calories, weighing my foods, counting every sip I give of whatever, over-estimating the calories, and basically starving myself because those processed foods don't as much "food" per calorie. Because "calories in vs. calories out", right? That's what have always made sense to me! That's what I've always believed!... Well, until it stopped working.

I still workout the exact se amount I did before, if not more, and.... my weight slowly goes UP! I measured myself yesterday because I thought "seriously, I MUST have at least lost some inches!". But no I basically gained 0.5 inch around my body.

I'M SO DONE WITH THIS!

You know when you just don't know what else to do and just want to throw the towel? 😥

I've been reading a book called. "How Not To Diet", by Michael Greger... Holy cow. Without even knowing, I've just realized that before I moved in with my husband I was eating almost the exact way the book suggests: all the stuff we already know: staying away from refined sugars, refined grains, and also the way to combine foods, etc, etc, etc. I had no idea before, of what I was doing. To me it was just calories in and calories out. But this book explains with science and clinical studies, backing their conclusion, what happens in our bodies when we do and don't do those things and why we lose or gain weight depending on WHAT we eat.

I opened my mouth so wide when I got to parts of that book that I think I got TMJ. Lol. It's like... THAT'S FREAKING IT!

Anyway... I am really hoping that's the case. I'm gonna have to be super freaking strong negating and ignoring the foods that my husband buys, to focus on my journey.

Is anyone else strugfling to lose the last 10ish pounds? If so, please add me so that we can hold each other accountable! I would love to have more friends with common goals as mine.

Taking a deep breath here with some awesome brand new hope growing inside of me!

That's it. Now it's a patience game.

Replies

• Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't think there has been anything discovered in nutrition and metabolism that disproves the first law of thermodynamics. If you are losing weight then you must be eating fewer calories than you expending and if you are gaining weight then you must be eating more calories than you are expending.

What might not be true, though, is that in/out are independent of each other. If they were independent then if you chose to eat less or exercise more then you would be guaranteed to loose weight (or at least stop gaining it so fast).

What I think the various pieces of research show when they say it is not as simple as in/out is that there can be a link; that you body may make economies that mean as your calorie intake falls so does the number of calories used. This isn't necessarily reflected in the amount of energy used in deliberate exercise, i.e. workouts, but in things that are happening in the background. A previous time I was dieting I found my finger and toes nails had become thin so clearly my body was saving some energy (and maybe specific nutrients) by not making such thick nails. There may be similar things happening elsewhere in the body.

I also don't doubt that the "brute force" approach of "just restricting calories" can work if you have the willpower to be permanently hungry - for each economy your body makes you could always restrict your intake still further until you start losing weight again. That doesn't make it the best approach, though.

In another post of mime I link a New Scientist article which suggests that our appetite will guide us to the right amount of each of the macro nutrients if we have free choice but if the food we eat is rather limited we tend to eat the right amount of protein whether that results in too much or too little of the others. When you've hit your calorie goal but are still hungry that's probably because you have eaten too little protein.

Assuming this is true, and there was some research behind it, that means if you increase the proportion of protein in your diet you will tend to feel satisfied having eaten fewer calories than before. Processed food tends to be deficient in protein (because it's the most expensive ingredient) so if that's a high proportion of your diet then you will end up either eating too much of the other macros (carbs and fat) to get the protein or be hungry from not having had the protein.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    <snip> In another post of mime I link a New Scientist article which suggests that our appetite will guide us to the right amount of each of the macro nutrients if we have free choice but if the food we eat is rather limited we tend to eat the right amount of protein whether that results in too much or too little of the others. When you've hit your calorie goal but are still hungry that's probably because you have eaten too little protein.

Assuming this is true, and there was some research behind it, that means if you increase the proportion of protein in your diet you will tend to feel satisfied having eaten fewer calories than before. Processed food tends to be deficient in protein (because it's the most expensive ingredient) so if that's a high proportion of your diet then you will end up either eating too much of the other macros (carbs and fat) to get the protein or be hungry from not having had the protein.

While I believe this is true, I also think that applies in lesser degree to other nutrients. All the nutrients, probably.

When I was the most overweight I could eat thousands of calories of ice cream in a sitting and still be looking for more food. I believe the body wants to be in balance. If there is something missing, hunger is the bio-response until that need is met.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Some of my favorite easy protein sources are processed, like low fat cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt. (I don't much care for protein powder, but that's another obvious one.)
  • SleepMoveEatRepeat
    SleepMoveEatRepeat Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    <snip> In another post of mime I link a New Scientist article which suggests that our appetite will guide us to the right amount of each of the macro nutrients if we have free choice but if the food we eat is rather limited we tend to eat the right amount of protein whether that results in too much or too little of the others. When you've hit your calorie goal but are still hungry that's probably because you have eaten too little protein.

Thank you for your input! I'll look for your article and pay attention to this to see if I notice any difference.
    Thanks again!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    You currently don't work? Has your activity level changed from active to sedentary? Do you move less throughout the day, do you fidget less? This could all add to a slower weight loss or maybe even wipe it out. Added to that the stress of not having work, maybe more salt, TOM, again less moving, lots of other reasons could lead to water weight gain, which would account for the increase in measurement.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I've definitely lost weight as expected eating junk all day long. No, it's not healthy, but calories in- calories out works. Just the other day I was looking back at my diary from the last time I was at a much lower weight, which was a few years ago now. I was appalled. I was eating 1200 calories per day, but there were literally 4-5 days per week when it was 1200 calories worth of chips, candy, and other pure junk. And I lost about 25 pounds and made it to a healthy BMI that way.

Obviously part of the reason this isn't sustainable is that it's not satiating long term. The other part is that eating like that isn't being in a "healthy mindset" even if calories are being counted. I've found over the years that mindset piece is important for me. It's why I get my steps in every single day even though walking doesn't burn that many calories- I'm not going to spend tons of time walking and then sit down and stuff my face. The walking keeps me in the right mindset to improve my eating as well. When I was already letting myself eat pure junk all day long, it wasn't much of a leap to then switch to eating a bit more, then stop counting all together, etc.

This time around I've switched my weight loss goal to only 1 pound per week so that I get more calories per day. I have at least one sweet or salty treat every day, and sometimes both, but nothing like replacing full meals with chips and candy. This is in addition to eating a more balanced lunch and dinner and making sure I have some sort of fruit and vegetable every day (baby steps).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit and one can do that with any style of eating.

This doesn't mean that an individual will find all styles of eating equally satiating at a given calorie level. I know from experience that I feel better when I have higher volume meals with higher fiber and at least moderate fat. I feel fuller so it's easier for me to stick to my calorie goal and I also tend to move more during the day (which increase the number of calories that I use). I can eat the same number of calories in meals that I find less satiating, but at the cost of feeling full and energetic, so it is something I don't do that often.

But at the end of the day, your body needs energy to function. You can get that energy from KitKats, you can get that energy from broccoli.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I believe in science, not anecdotes. Metabolism changes, true. But, not enough to matter. It takes a certain number of calories to keep a few hundred pounds of water, cells and minerals at 98.7F 24/7 and a few more to locomote that mass over to the frig and that does not change just because a person is eating rhubarb instead of Doritos, or that they came down from 350 pounds and not 250. Explaining the lack of weight loss on metabolism as opposed to calories in/calories out, is what we call an "excuse."

Not only can metabolism shift enough to mattering, but so can NEAT and other EE functions. Depending on your size, we can talk hundreds of calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I've always thought that "a calories was a calorie" but, the longer I live the more I start breaking this belief. I mean, before I moved in with my husband things were SO DIFFERENT for me, weight wise.
    It was easy for me to control what I ate. I know my weaknesses... I have a sweet tooth as well as love to eat chips. So what I did I do when I lived alone? Didn't buy sweets and chips. Period. I mainly ate whole foods back then with the exception of veggie burgers.

But now...

My husband eats everything and, besides eating whatever he wants, he doesn't really care for sweets. He can literally eat 1 bar of KitKat and put the rest in the pantry. I am not exaggerating! And he buys all different types of chips because he likes eating some of it with his lunch.
    (Me, on the other hand, have to eat the entire bag of chips to feel satisfied).

So what have I been doing for the last 1.5 years? Strictly counting calories, weighing my foods, counting every sip I give of whatever, over-estimating the calories, and basically starving myself because those processed foods don't as much "food" per calorie. Because "calories in vs. calories out", right? That's what have always made sense to me! That's what I've always believed!... Well, until it stopped working.

I still workout the exact se amount I did before, if not more, and.... my weight slowly goes UP! I measured myself yesterday because I thought "seriously, I MUST have at least lost some inches!". But no I basically gained 0.5 inch around my body.

I'M SO DONE WITH THIS!

You know when you just don't know what else to do and just want to throw the towel? 😥

I've been reading a book called. "How Not To Diet", by Michael Greger... Holy cow. Without even knowing, I've just realized that before I moved in with my husband I was eating almost the exact way the book suggests: all the stuff we already know: staying away from refined sugars, refined grains, and also the way to combine foods, etc, etc, etc. I had no idea before, of what I was doing. To me it was just calories in and calories out. But this book explains with science and clinical studies, backing their conclusion, what happens in our bodies when we do and don't do those things and why we lose or gain weight depending on WHAT we eat.

I opened my mouth so wide when I got to parts of that book that I think I got TMJ. Lol. It's like... THAT'S FREAKING IT!

Anyway... I am really hoping that's the case. I'm gonna have to be super freaking strong negating and ignoring the foods that my husband buys, to focus on my journey.

Is anyone else strugfling to lose the last 10ish pounds? If so, please add me so that we can hold each other accountable! I would love to have more friends with common goals as mine.

Taking a deep breath here with some awesome brand new hope growing inside of me!

Yeah, I gained @ 30 pounds when I moved in with my OH :(

He had a pint of ice cream last OVER A YEAR!

I feel completely different after eating @ 300 calories of ice cream vs @ 300 calories of fruit, veggie, protein powder, etc. smoothie.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

But now...

My husband eats everything and, besides eating whatever he wants, he doesn't really care for sweets. He can literally eat 1 bar of KitKat and put the rest in the pantry. I am not exaggerating! And he buys all different types of chips because he likes eating some of it with his lunch.
    (Me, on the other hand, have to eat the entire bag of chips to feel satisfied).

I'M SO DONE WITH THIS!

Yeah, I gained @ 30 pounds when I moved in with my OH :(

He had a pint of ice cream last OVER A YEAR!

I feel completely different after eating @ 300 calories of ice cream vs @ 300 calories of fruit, veggie, protein powder, etc. smoothie.

I would never reach for 300 calories of ice cream to control my hunger because it would not do that very well for the calories spent. However, once my hunger is controlled from other eating I would not hesitate to eat the ice cream. Yesterday I ate ice cream even though I didn't really want it because I had a bunch of exercise calories that needed to be filled.

Yes, exactly this. If I were to skip lunch and have the same cals of ice cream, I am likely to be hungrier than normal before dinner (although that doesn't mean I would overeat at dinner or snack before dinner -- that would be related to other mental things). For example, it's a family tradition to have pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving (and sometimes the Saturday too), and yet when I was focusing on weight loss and on a roll, I ate a reasonable-sized piece and did not overeat for the day. In years when I was already in an "I can eat what I want" mode, then sure, I might be more likely to have a high calorie day on such days. And back when I was someone who had "good days" or "bad days," having the pie might make me decide it was a bad day and go on in with high cal foods, because I'd have to be good again tomorrow (or whenever).

When I was losing 90 lbs, I ate a very nutrient-dense and filling diet (as I still do), and one thing that helped me was eliminating snacking. But quite often -- especially on days with a reasonable amount of exercise cals, and activity in general, and ONLY if it fit within my cals -- I would have about 200 cals of good-quality ice cream (or gelato) after dinner (sometimes 250 if I had the cals). This did not make me feel bad at all, it did not remove the satiating effects of my dinner or make me hungry when I hadn't been, it did not lead me to eating more that evening (I understood it was my final food of the day) nor the next day, and it did not undermine the fact I'd eaten my usual diet with plenty of protein, 10+ servings of veg, healthy fats, plenty of fiber, etc.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what I did as a strategy for me, and I don't think there's a trade off between eating a good diet and eating some ice cream (or whatever) for most people.
  • SleepMoveEatRepeat
    SleepMoveEatRepeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon thank you so much for your message! A lot for me to think about and reflect on!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficient is what you need to do the first 80%. If your GW is your ideal weight, lowish bodyfat, lean and strong then the last 10 lbs will likely take something different.

An increase in protein, better quality carbs maybe a missing nutrient. Also a balanced and varied routine. Our bodies like equilibriums. We adjust and accommodate to our surroundings, external influences and what we eat and do. Many times the last 10 lbs takes a bit of an unconventional approach.

Not sure I would stop tracking completely but perhaps a little less accurate... By now you should have some sense of what a good breakfast lunch and supper look like. Also you should have some idea how much ice cream is too much.

This si good training for when you transition to maintenance as well.