Exercise with large stomach

Options
This is probably the most embarrassing aspect of weight loss for me: dealing with exercising with a large stomach that has migrated downwards recently. Does anyone have advice on how to support this dead weight during exercise? I have full mobility, walk for over an hour every day (too heavy to run, yet) and have just begun using a heavy bag boxing workout routine. I try to keep my core engaged during all my activities but it’s tough and I really hate having this big flabby bulge jiggling around. Is there any kind of support wear I could try?

Replies

• Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I actually went to Walmart about a week ago and they have an active wear section with bottoms by Avia (I think). They are listed as "high impact compression leggings". They are PHENOMENAL and each pair is $15. This is Hawaii pricing, it would probably be cheaper on the mainland. They go up pretty high which isn't the most flattering if you are on the larger size but the compression provided should keep everything in place. I'm sure you could find something similar online if you couldn't find locally.

You could also try the stomach sweat thing. It straps across your mid section and is secured with velcro. It won't help you lose weight and you'll have to drink extra water but from what I remember (it has been years) it might be able to help.

Starting something new and challenging is hard but you will be amazed at what your body is capable of doing which will help keep you motivated when the scale is being stubborn.

Just know that what you are doing now is helping you in the long term. There is literally no reason to be embarrassed. You should be proud, keep up the awesome work 💪 😁
  • Killakee
    Killakee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Holly hit the nail on the HEAD, that is all exactly what I would recommend!! Generally I will always vote for compression leggings, or at least some style of shape wear in biker-short style to keep everything tight and lifted. The added benefit of compression with a large stomach is that it increases the rate of lymphatic drainage since your inguinal lymph nodes are no longer cut off (in English: your legs will swell less after workouts! Yay!)

Source: certified lymphedema occupational therapist. Basically, I’m an expert on swelling, compression, and the lymphatic system. Message me for any questions or concerns! ❤️
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Compression leggings. Aside from any lymphatic stuff, it helps keeps loose parts from jiggling and bouncing which makes activity 10000 times more comfortable.

I wouldn’t do the Velcro wrap thing though. That seems like a way to restrict movement and possibly constrict things that you don’t really want constricted during exercise. But that’s your call.

They don’t need to be terribly expensive - or gut crushingly compressive. Just go somewhere (even start at Walmart/Target/Kohl’s/Old Navy as they tend to be more economical) and try some on and see what fits you comfortably and allows you to jump around in the fitting room without bouncing and jiggling too much. If those don’t work. You can go for pricier brands that have more engineering involved and may work better.
  • youknowyoursel
    youknowyoursel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help!