My Failure Cycle Kicking In

Hi team, I tore all my ligaments in my left knee 3 years ago skying and had 2 surgeries. I can walk now but no running or jumping or skying. I’ve been overweight since I was 19 with 251 pounds this last summer, Im 41 years old now. Although im doing ok professionally Ive had zero real drive to fix my fat complex and insecurity. So now in Keto and lost 22 pounds in 6 weeks but now my cholesterol is up the roof which was high already. On top I have sand on my Urine and on top I had started Mountain Biking and 3 weeks after i have the pyramidal also strained. Finally I jad s tooth extraction last Thursday that wen wrong and my tooth ended uo absorbed into my sinus.

Point being I’m saying to myself, I’m 41 and I’m in worst shape than an 80 year old guy.

But I then watch and listen to the story of David Goggins and how much injuries and pain he jas fone through and his way of embracing life and I get motivated to continue. The forks of life I think you call it.

Any advice? My self esteem is low due to feeling physically less thsn other people for the injuries and overweight.

Replies

• Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    omelet2000 wrote: »
    Hang in there, you can do it!
    I’m 43 and lost 45 lbs since October , still about 10 -15 to go.
    Let me tell you what I’ve learned:
    I’ve been overweight all my life, not terribly obese but definitely not fit looking. I’m still not super athletic looking BUT I’ve found that it’s a lot easier than you think. Please realize that all those guys who are athletic looking are not smarter or have more willpower that you. They just have created more consistency and better habits over time. It’s harder to changing habits now, for sure, but once you’ve done it for a few weeks that turn into months, it will just seem like normal for you.
    You don’t have to do anything extreme in terms of exercise. I used to think I had to run on the treadmill everyday or some sort of intense sweaty cardio. Not true at all. I barely do anything sweat inducing. I do weights 3 to 4 times a week. With the gym being closed I just use home dumbbells.
    The key is actually 10% exercise and 90% diet. Step 1 - Cut out the junk - you know what is junky. Toss it out and don’t buy any more. Step 2 - cut the alcohol. Beer, wine , whatever . Drink water and non sugary drinks. Step 3 - eat more non starchy vegetables. Keep some cut up and prepared in the fridge so it’s easy access. Step 4 - track your meals on MFP. Step 5 - try intermittent fasting. Step 6 - dont weight yourself more than once a week. Focus more on the process and the habits rather than the scale / outcome. Do it day after day and week after week and it becomes easy.
    When I started I said to myself “my 40s will be the best decade ever” and you can look and feel better than you ever did as a 20 year old.

Hi thanks for your message. Actually I think the weight part I have well aligned for success but now for the cholesterol Im going to have to back down even more on what I can eat and I’m afraid it will give me more cravings.

And then I start to bike and get this strains.

And the damn tooth surgery goes wrong.

It's just asking when its going to get easier.

Anyhow let’s keep going.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Interesting post OP.

First of all, you just need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Get your daily calorie goal from MFP, a digital food scale and start using it. Log everything you eat and drink, stay within your calorie goal and you will lose weight.

Second, are all the sports you like extreme? I see that as your problem. Can't you get into swimming or another sport that will be a little easier on your body?

It's not that you can't be active at 40, but if your body is trying to tell you something, I guess I'd listen. Sorry about your tooth surgery. That is just bad luck. Hope you find your way.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Interesting post OP.

First of all, you just need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Get your daily calorie goal from MFP, a digital food scale and start using it. Log everything you eat and drink, stay within your calorie goal and you will lose weight.

Second, are all the sports you like extreme? I see that as your problem. Can't you get into swimming or another sport that will be a little easier on your body?

It's not that you can't be active at 40, but if your body is trying to tell you something, I guess I'd listen. Sorry about your tooth surgery. That is just bad luck. Hope you find your way.

Hi thanks for the advice. I think I got the weight although now I need the readjust everything due the cholesterol.

The sports I like are not extreme but I always get something. I also Golf and injured my wrist, so anyhow I think I have to get used to be in a certain degree of pain. But I won’t stop because you have to live your life.

Swimming is definitely one I’m going to go for when Covid remits.

Thanks for the support!
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    I found reading the diet myth helpful. He goes into each type of diet scientifically. Talks a lot about the gut biome, which is still pretty mysterious.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Numer1ca wrote: »
    I found reading the diet myth helpful. He goes into each type of diet scientifically. Talks a lot about the gut biome, which is still pretty mysterious.

Never heard of it. Will investigate.