AppleWatch Question

Let's see if I can explain this very well.

When you plug in the calories burned for the day...
do you only put the calories burned during your workout or do you put the total of active calories at the end of the day? what about the resting calories?

for example....
Yesterday, I burned 1882 resting calories and 781 active calories. What would you put for adjustment. My daily goal is 1200 and I have a very light activity job.
I wish my watch and MFP would do their own adjustment lol

thank you

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    You don't put an adjustment.

Synchronize via pacer, it's easier.

You want to know your total daily energy expenditure -- everything your body used to stay alive.

That's what you burn, not just the active, or exercise, or a tiny bit active, or passive Calories !!!!

The big lump sum minus what you've put in to yourself equals your deficit.

You do want a deficit to lose weight.

But you want it reasonable and sustainable, not "as large as possible to lose as fast as possible and who cares what happens next"

Which is why you're planning to eat your adjustment!

Which is good!!!!
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You don't put an adjustment.

Synchronize via pacer, it's easier.

You want to know your total daily energy expenditure -- everything your body used to stay alive.

That's what you burn, not just the active, or exercise, or a tiny bit active, or passive Calories !!!!

The big lump sum minus what you've put in to yourself equals your deficit.

You do want a deficit to lose weight.

But you want it reasonable and sustainable, not "as large as possible to lose as fast as possible and who cares what happens next"

Which is why you're planning to eat your adjustment!

Which is good!!!!

yeah I wish my watch and MFP would sync, but they don't..... Ive tried to fixed it many times and nothing.... it syncs the steps but that's it....

when I had a fitbit, I had no problem...
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2020
    Disconnect everything from MFP. Connect watch to Pacer App. Connect Pacer App to MFP. Does this work?

.... or keep using your Fitbit which currently still seems to be the most resilient (by no means perfect) when it comes to connecting to MFP. :lol:
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Disconnect everything from MFP. Connect watch to Pacer App. Connect Pacer App to MFP. Does this work?

.... or keep using your Fitbit which currently still seems to be the most resilient (by no means perfect) when it comes to connecting to MFP. :lol:

You're wonderful.. Im getting to the age that I dont know much about technology anymore lol

Now I get what you were trying to say on your 1st post.. I need coffee... :#:D
    Now it's MUCH better!!!!!!! thank you very much for your help and introducing me to pacer app...
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2020
    First day of adjustments may be a tad screwy as there might be partial information / time of day issues upon initial connection.

Make sure weight, height, age, and time zone are the same in all apps and watches!

and it was @heybales who did the hard work of researching the issues and figuring out that Pacer would work!

Take care!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    It works well if connected through Pacer. I had the same issues. Set your activity level to not very active.
    After tracking a workout in Apple Watch & syncing, you’ll get a calorie adjustment. You’ll see two actually. One from Pacer, one from Apple Health. Delete the one from Apple Health bc it’s a double.
    It will continue to add calories from steps throughout the day. So that adjustment number will go up, and it will match your move calories in Apple Watch.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    thank you <3<3<3
  • PAV8888
    @Talan79 why not disconnect apple health from mfp both as a step source and as a calorie source, if the pacer path is working and transmitting all the information correctly?
  • Talan79
    I have Apple Health connected to Pacer, not MFP. I have Pacer connected to MFP for steps and in the app section. When I track a workout in Apple Watch, I get a double adjustment so I just delete the Apple Health one.
  • PAV8888
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I have Apple Health connected to Pacer, not MFP. I have Pacer connected to MFP for steps and in the app section. When I track a workout in Apple Watch, I get a double adjustment so I just delete the Apple Health one.

Why do you think you're getting a double one? Is it that Pacer is independently getting the workout from your iphone directly in addition to getting it from your Apple Watch via Apple Health and not figuring out that it is the same workout? --Just curious as I only have Fitbit/Android and no direct visibility into the Apple ecosystem.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 207 Member

Why do you think you're getting a double one? Is it that Pacer is independently getting the workout from your iphone directly in addition to getting it from your Apple Watch via Apple Health and not figuring out that it is the same workout? --Just curious as I only have Fitbit/Android and no direct visibility into the Apple ecosystem.
    Yes, this is also the case with my watch and MFP and Pacer setup. I always delete one of the workouts because it duplicates the workout.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Actually @talan79 did the Pacer sync and allowed me to grill her over the results to confirm it really appeared to be allowing the math to be done correctly compared to Apple's direct method.

I'd forgotten about the double syncs. Do 2 workouts really show up in the Pacer app?

Hmmm, thinking, thinking. Nope, I got nothing!
  • Talan79
    The Pacer app will only show my total steps. Not a tracked workout. I took a lifting break, but I usually will run and track, then sync Pacer to MFP.
    Under the adjustments, it will have one from Pacer, then one from Apple Health. On days that I lift, I also delete the adjustment for the lifting session.
    When I delete Apple Health adjustments, then it matches the “move calories” in Apple Watch.
  • Talan79

I think you are right on this one. Not sure why the double tho. Pacer is synced to MFP & Apple Health. If I disconnect Apple Health, I wouldn’t have the doubling up, but then Apple Health wouldn’t have any data. Right?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    My Apple Watch is connected to MFP and will only upload exercise calories burned from a workout I track on my watch. It does not add any steps or non-exercise calories. I don’t want “credit” for just walking around, only intentional exercise. It’s been working fine for me. I think I set it up by using the Apple Health app and connecting that to MFP? I just Googled how to connect my watch to MFP when I got it and then followed the directions.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    briscogun wrote: »
    My Apple Watch is connected to MFP and will only upload exercise calories burned from a workout I track on my watch. It does not add any steps or non-exercise calories. I don’t want “credit” for just walking around, only intentional exercise. It’s been working fine for me. I think I set it up by using the Apple Health app and connecting that to MFP? I just Googled how to connect my watch to MFP when I got it and then followed the directions.

That's how I did it during my loss phase, but on days when I'm super active outside workouts the extra cals are important to have available to eat. The Pacer route works well, and I don't think I ever got doubled entries.
  • Rijama
    Rijama Posts: 4 Member
    Same here. Apple watch connected to MFP, showing only workout calories. Shows the steps as well tho, but not getting any calories from that. I agree with briscogun, I only want to see calories I actually burned by working out -calories I do not feel guilty to eat back. In my mind the total calories cover the amount of calories I’m supposed to eat, and workout calories are the treat ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    For those only adding workout cals, I believe it works well enough because with fuzzy math you're sort of taking care of that problem where the exercise cals are potentially overestimated, but that's taken back up by your general daily activity. Which is fine until you get to goal I think when the math becomes more important to get a finer read on.
  • Talan79
    I just ran 4 miles. This is what mine looks like.34zun95o9wf0.png
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    For those only adding workout cals, I believe it works well enough because with fuzzy math you're sort of taking care of that problem where the exercise cals are potentially overestimated, but that's taken back up by your general daily activity. Which is fine until you get to goal I think when the math becomes more important to get a finer read on.

I’m in that boat now since I reached goal weight. Changed my MFP status to “maintain” but I’m logging my weight and calories in a spreadsheet every day so I can track input (calories) versus results (weight) daily. Trying to find that balance. I don’t really trust the figures for calories burned from the HRM on the watch, it seems like it is over estimating so that’s why I’m looking at the actual data to fine tune. I figure the watch gives me a ballpark figure and I can work backwards from there.

I guess the additional calories I may burn from unintentional exercise hasn’t been a concern or something that has affected my results so I don’t worry about it (steps, yard work, going for a leisurely walk, etc).