Night time snacks!!

Neil7905
Neil7905 Posts: 275 Member
Good evening all, this is the worst part of the day. Everything has calmed down, stopped to a halt, the kids are in bed or you're just laying infront of the TV.
You've gone from one extreme to the other, your body still wants something to do.
When you give-in to restlessness. What do you snack on?
I.e what is safe to snack on? I.e rice cakes, homemade popcorn (lightly salted).

Replies

• riffwalkdale
    riffwalkdale Posts: 241 Member
    I usually eat pistachios, berries, yogurt covered pretzels. It depends on whether I'm craving sweet or salty.
  • Neil7905
    I loooove pistachios!!!! But for the amount I'd eat, I'd out so much weight on 🤣😂 I can't moderate lol
  • Neil7905
    I usually eat pistachios, berries, yogurt covered pretzels. It depends on whether I'm craving sweet or salty.

Also if you combined sweet with salty, you'd just end up with an old guy 🤣😂🤣
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Ice cream, chocolate, cake, cookies, sugary cereal, donuts, chips.. those are my go-tos lately. Also make sure I fit in a granola bar at 2-3am. What do you mean by safe? Those are all safe options for me :)
  • Neil7905
    I wish that was safe for me!!
  • sardelsa
    Neil7905 wrote: »

Ok well what do you mean by safe? Low calorie, filling, not tasty, hard to overeat?
  • Neil7905
    sardelsa wrote: »

Ok well what do you mean by safe? Low calorie, filling, not tasty, hard to overeat?

Low calorie, my body seems to be very good at turning sugars(white pasta) into fat very quickly. So whilst I could just do phys 16 hours a day. I'd like to gain opinions in order to change my diet rather than my life. Though they are usually one and the same.
  • sardelsa
    You may have to experiment with options that keep you satisfied. If you are looking for volume and crunch, raw veggies and a Greek yogurt dip or low calorie dressing. If you want something sweet Greek yogurt with a bit of fruit mixed in (you can even crush up a cookie or use a zero calorie syrup), pre-portioned snacks are good if you can limit yourself to one (crackers and cheese, chips, small ice creams), some dark chocolate with fruit, sorbet, baked chickpeas can be filling (but depending on how much oil they can be calorie dense so watch your portion), beef jerky, seaweed strips. These are all options that can be more filling than typical snack foods but again watch your portions. Alternatively if you find yourself really extra snacky at night and those don't cut it just save up some extra calories for that time.
  • riffwalkdale
    riffwalkdale Posts: 241 Member
    I loooove pistachios!!!! But for the amount I'd eat, I'd out so much weight on 🤣😂 I can't moderate lol

I definitely have to take into account that I'm going to eat them later in the day in order to stay under my calories 😛
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I usually have a few almonds,a string cheese and an apple cut in pieces....occasionally a T of peanut butter with it!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    Try frozen grapes. Wash them before you freeze them and you’re all set. Super yummy and you can only eat them so fast because they are frozen. We freeze both green and red (seedless!) ones.
  • Neil7905
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You may have to experiment with options that keep you satisfied. If you are looking for volume and crunch, raw veggies and a Greek yogurt dip or low calorie dressing. If you want something sweet Greek yogurt with a bit of fruit mixed in (you can even crush up a cookie or use a zero calorie syrup), pre-portioned snacks are good if you can limit yourself to one (crackers and cheese, chips, small ice creams), some dark chocolate with fruit, sorbet, baked chickpeas can be filling (but depending on how much oil they can be calorie dense so watch your portion), beef jerky, seaweed strips. These are all options that can be more filling than typical snack foods but again watch your portions. Alternatively if you find yourself really extra snacky at night and those don't cut it just save up some extra calories for that time.

Wow thank you!! These tips are just what I'm looking for! I'd love to write something equally lengthy to thank you x gold dust x
  • Neil7905
    I usually have a few almonds,a string cheese and an apple cut in pieces....occasionally a T of peanut butter with it!

I used to be a BIIIIIG fan of almonds. Still am. But I have to cut them out since they were my main reason for snacking!! I'd tell myself they contain Vit D and healthy for the skin .
  • Neil7905
    Try frozen grapes. Wash them before you freeze them and you’re all set. Super yummy and you can only eat them so fast because they are frozen. We freeze both green and red (seedless!) ones.

That's a great idea, especially as you couldn't eat them too quickly 🤣😂
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Air popped popcorn, cereal
  • Neil7905
    Thanks for all these great suggestions. I'm gonna take them all and try then out tonight 😂🤣 I'll get back to you tomorrow with my new bra size lol
  • RinChillin
    RinChillin Posts: 4 Member
    Popcorn actually sounds like a good idea, gotta get into that. I usually snack on raw veggies and hummus or guac, like cucumbers or baby carrots, or even berries and other fruits, and then gin and diet tonic.That's a bad habit for me. :D
  • Tiffanylynn1024
    Tiffanylynn1024 Posts: 167 Member
    Usually my go to lately has been popcorn. Sometimes I like to snack on beef jerky too
  • Neil7905
    I can't find popcorn kernels in our ships anywhere!!! I'm gutted. It's quite healthy when you homebake. You realise as well how much crap goes into things. Sugar etc.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    This does put me over the sodium but I found eating sunflower seeds in the shell satisfies my munchies. I love the dill pickle flavor & I can stretch 30gm to last about 1.5hrs, then it's bed time