How do you deal when it’s your “time”

Options
The hormone struggle is real. 😭How do you deal when it’s your time of the month when all you want to eat is 10 pounds of chocolate, ice cream and all other compfort foods???!!! It doesn’t help that my husband sympathy eats. Lol
Do you endulge or not? Do you find once a month you fall of the wagon or not? If not, what keeps your going?
Thanks ahead of time.

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I usually end up eating at maintenance at least once on my period. And I make sure I don’t skip workouts so I can more easily fit in my cravings without blowing my calories.
  • hypersensitiveb1975
    hypersensitiveb1975 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well going through it now and my plan has been to exercise to get more calories and eat small treats .
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,354 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I eat at maintenance on some days and I indulge my cravings occasionally (in my case that's high carb, savoury foods). I might have pizza or sushi instead of a lower calorie meal.
    I don't 'fall off the wagon', I log everything I eat. And I eat treats regularly anyway, but during my TOM the portions can be a bit bigger than usual.

Usually (cardio) exercise is harder too, so I focus on low intensity workouts (walking instead of jogging).
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I dont tell myself no... but I tell myself I can have 1 treat before bed. Whatever the fuxk i want. It's usually high calorie, but knowing I can have whatever I want before bed stops me from grazing on crap all day and actually keeps me closer to my calorie goal.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    The cravings are real - it helps that I track my periods so I know when the cravings are about to hit, rather than eating and eating and wondering why I can't control it, then coming on and realising why I've had a diet meltdown...

I managed to get through this time by anticipating the craving and building in foods into my diet plan for that week that satisfied the cravings in part. My iron drops, so I built in extra red meat, and I crave chocolate, so I planned an allowance for it.

I don't want to eat chocolate and steak all the time, but I know I do on my period, so trying to eat anything else would end in failure. Instead, I portion control the things my body shouts out for.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don’t always make the best choices but when I do, it goes something like this. I have a little dish of steel cut oats with fruit at work. I am running around like crazy so instead of lunch first, I have my protein shake that would otherwise be my afternoon snack. Someone brings in pastries around 2pm. I could literally eat a couple... they are calling to me. Instead I look in my lunch box to see what I have left. I forgot to eat my lunch... so I tell myself if I really want a pastry AFTER I eat my carefully planned meal, that is ok. After I eat my food, my cravings for whatever treat is lying around generally is gone. I don’t think having a treat is bad but I do think eating treats instead of lunch is bad.
  • ali_kat4
    ali_kat4 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I’m honestly so glad I’m not alone in this. I track my TOM too through an app so it’s a good idea to plan for it. I’m going to start using it to track my cravings and beginning planning for them.
    Today I start a walking challenge so this will help too. My biggest issue is that I haven’t been active enough. So there’s no balance when I indulge. I just feel guilty since I’ve been doing so great diet wise the rest of the month. I don’t want to emotionally spiral from guilt for a week every month. I told myself not to reply on exercise as an excuse to continue my bad eating patterns but I think I should let that go when my body is going through this week. A leash a few treats anyways.
    Thanks ladies!!!!